ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #8716
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Apologise if this has been covered before.
I run two profiles on my Montana:
  • Topo mapping with shortcuts to tracks and track manager for off road.
  • City Navigator and different shortcuts for on road.
I went riding at the weekend to do a preride and record a track for an upcoming group ride, I was in my Topo profile and selected Track "record and show on map", I had arranged to meet up with a mate to run part of the course together and so switched profiles to my City Navigator one to find his address then flicked back to Topo profile when we hit the dirt again. When I got home I had a gap in my recorded track and then I realised the Track record option is individually selectable for each profile you run and off course it was selected off on my City Navigator profile.

So beware if you use profiles make sure all selections are set correctly in each profile.

Yep all part of getting acquainted with your Montana.

One thing I do is set up a couple of default profiles with items I mostly use then customize from there.

Also remember you only need to have one map set enabled too. (in your different profiles)

Pretty slick little unit the Montana is.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #8717
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
So beware if you use profiles make sure all selections are set correctly in each profile.
Yes, and if you turn tracking on in a profile that normally does not have it on, and then do not turn it off BEFORE switching to another profile, then it will always be turned on when you switch back to that profile until you turn it off again and THEN switch profiles.

This happens to me all the time because I normally have tracking OFF in all profiles. Kind of annoying, eh?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #8718
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Yes, and if you turn tracking on in a profile that normally does not have it on, and then do not turn it off BEFORE switching to another profile, then it will always be turned on when you switch back to that profile until you turn it off again and THEN switch profiles.

This happens to me all the time because I normally have tracking OFF in all profiles. Kind of annoying, eh?
Annoying? Not at all...at least you have the option. I'd much rather have the capability than having someone trying to second guess me or "protect" me from myself.

They do make nuvi's for folks that shouldn't change settings - 'cause there are no settings to change.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #8719
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
They do make nuvi's for folks that shouldn't change settings - 'cause there are no settings to change.
Yes, my brother has one.....
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #8720
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There's no advantage to running multiple maps simultaneously; only drawbacks. CNNA is always on top, hiding the other maps. ...
Never say never... I think the "side effect" I found by enabling both Topo24k and CNNA looks cooler than only flat CNNA views, IMHO:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #8721
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Never say never... I think the "side effect" I found by enabling both Topo24k and CNNA looks cooler than only flat CNNA views, IMHO:
I'm going to have to try this and see for myself.

Thanks

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #8722
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:

Just remember to enable "Shaded Relief". The downside is map redraw performance is considerably slower.

The new Monterra with 3D MapMerge is going to bring this to a whole new level...
3D MapMerge
Monterra is the ultimate mapping tool with custom 3-D mapping, which lets you combine 2 maps - like TOPO, basemap or BirdsEye Satellite Imagery - then view the new unique map in 3-D complete with visible “texture,” such as hills, valleys, lakes and forests. For example, combine BirdsEye with TOPO U.S. 24K or a GIS-based water table map with your shaded relief basemap. Then zoom in, pan out and rotate the 3-D map using multi-touch.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #8723
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:

Looks like my TAT tracks =)
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #8724
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Riding the TAT now and have a question. I set up my Montana on a PC at home. I bought a Macbook Air for this trip. I have Basecamp up and running, but it will not se the maps on my Montana when I plug it in. My buddy has a Garmin (set up on his home Mac) and his maps show up when we plug his in.

Is this a PC/Mac issue, or do I have some setting wrong in BC or on the Montana.

BTW: All maps are enabled on both GPS's. (CNNA, Topo 24, and all the base maps)

Thanks
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #8725
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
Riding the TAT now and have a question. I set up my Montana on a PC at home. I bought a Macbook Air for this trip. I have Basecamp up and running, but it will not se the maps on my Montana when I plug it in. My buddy has a Garmin (set up on his home Mac) and his maps show up when we plug his in.

Is this a PC/Mac issue, or do I have some setting wrong in BC or on the Montana.

BTW: All maps are enabled on both GPS's. (CNNA, Topo 24, and all the base maps)

Thanks
Download JavaWa Device Manager and set your CNNA to "show in BaseCamp".

Only factory installed maps show automatically in BaseCamp. Otherwise you need to use a program like JaVaWa to change the bit in the Map so it will show.

Have a great ride!

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #8726
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,091
Montana 650t Touchscreen not working

Looks like a common problem. My unit is OUT of warranty so I'm on the hook for $180. Anyone have a better idea? Has anyone opened one up? Rumor has it they don't "fix" them, just send you another one. Input?

Getting ready to run up to Prudhoe Bay again. Really loved this unit but DAMN. Please PM if it's some sensitive "don't piss of Garmin" thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #8727
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Not sure what you can do since it's out of warranty but I'd call them and ask for a manager. They are aware of the calibration issue I had and as it was explained to me, was a hardware issue that has now been resolved. If your issue is something other than the calibration being off, I'm not sure you'll get any sympathy but it's worth a try.
They've been great with me so far and everyone I've spoken with has been very helpful.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #8728
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post
Looks like a common problem. My unit is OUT of warranty so I'm on the hook for $180. Anyone have a better idea? Has anyone opened one up? Rumor has it they don't "fix" them, just send you another one. Input?

Getting ready to run up to Prudhoe Bay again. Really loved this unit but DAMN. Please PM if it's some sensitive "don't piss of Garmin" thing.
As Guavadude said, call and ask to speak to a manager.

But if you do need to send it in, they will send you another one, not your own.

Whatever happens, if you're in a hurry, ask them to cross-ship one for you. You'll need a credit card they can charge, then refund you when your broken one is returned..
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #8729
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,091
Thanks gang. Not looking for the proverbrial free meal just really bummed about $180 bill on a $600+ GPS. Its disheartening. I've been using Garmins for 17+ years and this is my favorite from a performance standpoint.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #8730
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post

The refurb replacement has been the MO for quite a while now. You can't even buy replacement parts, so if you needed a new battery door it would cost you $180. I found that out the hard way when I needed one for my 76CX. Needless to say I just redneck engineered it with silicon.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote