ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #8821
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I asked first. Why not? It's not like the files take up significant space and nobody's forcing anyone to look at them, but that's one of the reasons I have a gps - to keep a record of the roads I've traveled. It's not often that I go back to the Archive, but I have done so a few times.

With the 60/76 series there's nothing you can do with tracks while out in the field, but the Montana and all the other modern Garmin units allow you to bring those tracks out of the Archive and use (Trackback) or share them with others, even wirelessly if it's a compatible unit you're sharing with.

I don't understand why you say the 60/76 cannot Trackback in the field... I just checked my 60Cx. Saved the current track and hit Trackback.

Also just checked the Montana and it's set to Auto Archive When Full

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #8822
pro5mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
What seems to cause the issues with Montanas is being rigidly mounted to
the bike. They really need some form of effective vibration isolation.

I believe you are right, and the key word is effective.

The Garmin, so called, "Rugged Mount" does have small rubber mounts built in, just not very effective.
pro5mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #8823
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Well, I appreciate that translation of the German webpage but "active routing" and Activity (profile) based Routing are the same thing and we've been doing that since the Montana was released - not to mention v4.1.2 of BaseCamp (v4.2.1 of BaseCamp is now using the same Routing Algorithm as the GPS units).

Personally, I prefer the English "Activity" vs. "active". If these are different technologies I'm all
The most recent Garmin 24k topo maps for the USA are still v2008 (unless I missed a release), and at that time active routing did not exist. Recent firmware updates with additional active routing enhancements (5.00 and 5.10) have been problematic on my unit, so I may try an older firmware to see if proper routing function is restored.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #8824
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
The most recent Garmin 24k topo maps for the USA are still v2008 (unless I missed a release), and at that time active routing did not exist. Recent firmware updates with additional active routing enhancements (5.00 and 5.10) have been problematic on my unit, so I may try an older firmware to see if proper routing function is restored.
I have 24K topos on my 650T. I jsut fired up the unit, disabled CNNA, made sure topo 24k Northeast was enabled (my location) and then picked a waypoint I had made some time ago and said Go. It routed along streets (at least on screen, I didn't drive it) to the waypoint just fine. Did you mean something else when you said "proper routing function"?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #8825
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
Here is how my Montana is mounted. We ride severe terrain all over the world and the interior of the unit and the battery are still 100% pristine... not even a single scuff mark like in the photos with the broken pin. No earplugs in this unit either and have not had any problems with it.

What seems to cause the issues with Montanas is being rigidly mounted to
the bike. They really need some form of effective vibration isolation.

This is a modified Touratech Garmin GPS V mount. There was another GPS mount thread where it was detailed--

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837606
Mine looks pristine after tons of rugged off road riding and mines mounted straight to the bars via ram ball and Amps mount.

You can kid yourself all you want, but it has nothing to do with how it's mounted. It has everything to do with the QC of the units. It's a total crap shoot on the tolerances you're going to get. You and I happened to luck out and get good ones. Others are not so lucky.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #8826
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I don't understand why you say the 60/76 cannot Trackback in the field... I just checked my 60Cx. Saved the current track and hit Trackback.
Of course; you can use the current track to backtrack but you can't take a track from your saved archives and use that.

Also, saving tracks on the 60/76 removes a lot of information from the track log. I'd forgotten that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #8827
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I have 24K topos on my 650T. I jsut fired up the unit, disabled CNNA, made sure topo 24k Northeast was enabled (my location) and then picked a waypoint I had made some time ago and said Go. It routed along streets (at least on screen, I didn't drive it) to the waypoint just fine. Did you mean something else when you said "proper routing function"?
Yes.

Carefully read the linked descriptions for Garmin Active Routing added to v5.00 and v5.10.

Trails and roads (etc) in the newer Garmin topo maps that support active routing have more information embedded within them so your equipped (supports Active Routing) Garmin GPSr can select the proper course for you based on specific activity requirements.

For example, if you are using the Mountain Biking activity, you would not want your Montana to direct you up a trail with a near vertical grade intended for Mountain Climbing, nor down a trail restricted to only foot pedestrians (Hiking).

The US Topo 2008 maps do not have this detailed information, while recent Germany Topo maps with ActiveRouting do.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #8828
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
More like 4.7. The last stable release that was glove friendly.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you go about dowdgrading the software if necessary? I have 5.10 and it seems ok so far, but if I hook the Montana to the computer and go to Garmin site do they then let you choose any older software instead of the latest release?
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #8829
Adventure Addict
Doin it in the dirt

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Mine looks pristine after tons of rugged off road riding and mines mounted straight to the bars via ram ball and Amps mount.

You can kid yourself all you want, but it has nothing to do with how it's mounted. It has everything to do with the QC of the units. It's a total crap shoot on the tolerances you're going to get. You and I happened to luck out and get good ones. Others are not so lucky.

Is there really that much variance in the clearances in the battery box? If that is truly the case perhaps it is more an issue with the battery vendor since Garmin likely sources them from more than one vendor. I can't imagine there being that much slop in the Montana case molding from batch to batch but anything is possible.

Maybe we did get lucky and got solid, shock-tolerant units but vibration isolation cannot be a bad thing especially on an offroad bike.

The Montana problem is not a isolated incident... Garmin has a history of this issue-- Garmin GPS V units ALL had a problem with the batteries vibrating in the battery compartment and losing contact. That is why Touratech designed the heavily isolated mount that I cannibalized for my Montana mount.
Adventure Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #8830
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you go about dowdgrading the software if necessary? I have 5.10 and it seems ok so far, but if I hook the Montana to the computer and go to Garmin site do they then let you choose any older software instead of the latest release?
You can install any version you like, using the information provided here.

ALWAYS back up your GPSr before making substantial changes to the device!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #8831
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You can install any version you like, using the information provided here.

ALWAYS back up your GPSr before making substantial changes to the device!
Thanks a lot for this good info.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #8832
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

A bit hot for a ride today...

Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #8833
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
A bit hot for a ride today...

Only 95F, not all that hot, but hot enough. What do you think of that temperature sensor coupled with the Montana? Is it worth getting?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #8834
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Well I must be living right, because on version 5.10, I still have the Speed Limit indicator and the Lane Guidance info. I went on a 4 lane highway today, just to see if it was there. (The things I do for the sake of knowledge!)

What profile are you in? Also, when you setup your where to what activity do you select?

I'm in my motorcycle profile, but when I do routing I select automotive with minimize time.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #8835
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
Only 95F, not all that hot, but hot enough. What do you think of that temperature sensor coupled with the Montana? Is it worth getting?
With the Humidex, it was like 115F.

The Tempe's fun to have. And now that my only bike is low tech and has no onboard thermometer, I rely on the Tempe a little more than I used to.

And for about $25, it seems worth it.