ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #8836
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
What profile are you in? Also, when you setup your where to what activity do you select?

I'm in my motorcycle profile, but when I do routing I select automotive with minimize time.
The screen shots are my Automotive profile. I have it set to Automobile activity type by default. I don't need to choose when I start navigating.

I don't often use the Automotive profile but I did today to check on the Speed Limit and Lane Guidance fields, to see if they still worked for me.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #8837
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The screen shots are my Automotive profile. I have it set to Automobile activity type by default. I don't need to choose when I start navigating.

I don't often use the Automotive profile but I did today to check on the Speed Limit and Lane Guidance fields, to see if they still worked for me.
Could you rerun it the way I mentioned I run mine. Kind of curious to see if yours does what we are talking about then or if it does not.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #8838
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Could you rerun it the way I mentioned I run mine. Kind of curious to see if yours does what we are talking about then or if it does not.
I'll give it a try asap. I don't live near roads with speed limits in CNNA but I will be on some tomorrow.

What is it yours is doing that I'm looking for?

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 04:59 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #8839
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,752
Just a bit of positive news and a question. I just finished a 9,902 mile trip up to Alaska and back. The Montana worked great. I did stick a few earplugs under the battery cover just in case, but had not been having issues before. I ran routes but had tracks beneath them the whole time. I went off route several times for various reasons. Never had a problem, that wasn't easily corrected. I did have to go into route preferences a few times. Ha.
The question is,Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374145231.808953.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  58.3 KB
As you can see, the moving time went blank. On a long trip, 16 days, does the Montana just lose track of moving time?

I must have a good one! Also, I'm still running 4.7 ha!!
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #8840
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I'll give it a try asap. I don't live near roads with speed limits in CNNA but I will be on some tomorrow.

What is it yours is doing that I'm looking for?
Nuvi display isn't showing the turns in the upper left of the screen and speed limit. Just want to see if profile and activity might have something to do with it.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #8841
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Yes.

Carefully read the linked descriptions for Garmin Active Routing added to v5.00 and v5.10.

Trails and roads (etc) in the newer Garmin topo maps that support active routing have more information embedded within them so your equipped (supports Active Routing) Garmin GPSr can select the proper course for you based on specific activity requirements.

For example, if you are using the Mountain Biking activity, you would not want your Montana to direct you up a trail with a near vertical grade intended for Mountain Climbing, nor down a trail restricted to only foot pedestrians (Hiking).

The US Topo 2008 maps do not have this detailed information, while recent Germany Topo maps with ActiveRouting do.
I see now. thanks for the explanation.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #8842
Lazy_John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question No more "shortest" route as of v5.20

Hello,

I seem to have found a routing problem as of version 5.20.
As I change routing to minimize distance it just keeps on giving me the same route as the fastest one. Exact same milage and such in "motorcycle profile". Allthough while checking this on Basecamp ( )I can achieve a shorter version of the same route, while everything else is the same in my used activity profile. The area I created the route has enough roads to get enough variations while fiddeling with routing options.

The point of this exercise is to get My Montana and a Zumo 550 to get similar routing results on the road. But I am stuck with being not able to set it to minimize distance...

(I know; it is kinda iffy to get the same results on my Montana as on Basecamp, but it can be done.)
Lazy_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #8843
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
Is there really that much variance in the clearances in the battery box? If that is truly the case perhaps it is more an issue with the battery vendor since Garmin likely sources them from more than one vendor. I can't imagine there being that much slop in the Montana case molding from batch to batch but anything is possible.

Maybe we did get lucky and got solid, shock-tolerant units but vibration isolation cannot be a bad thing especially on an offroad bike.

The Montana problem is not a isolated incident... Garmin has a history of this issue-- Garmin GPS V units ALL had a problem with the batteries vibrating in the battery compartment and losing contact. That is why Touratech designed the heavily isolated mount that I cannibalized for my Montana mount.
You're right, most of their models have these same issues. My buddy and I ought 76CX's at the same time, from the same place. We used the same mounts and even had them mounted to the same bikes. Within a month I was having to shim the shit out of the battery door to keep it from shutting off all the time. He's still using his today and has never had to do anything to it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #8844
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
More like 4.7. The last stable release that was glove friendly.
Is that what happened? On my last ride I could not finger the X spot no matter how hard I tried. Believe me, I kept trying. Horny as hell.
Dammit, if its not one thing its something else.

Eventually, I would just power down and start over. Sucks.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #8845
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 280
OK, I'm trying to search for a comparison here but it's not working. Looks like I may be in the market to buy a GPS this weekend. I've settled on the Montana. What I'm curious about is the differences between the three models. All I see is that the 600,650, and 650t is that the 650 has a camera and the 650t has both a camera, a little more internal memory and pre-installed topos.

Is it worth going all the way? I will NOT use the camera and from what I've read there are better ways to map routs and tracks out there.

Any advice will be appreciated. If this is covered in another thread please let me know and I'll be on my way (after deleted this of course...)
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #8846
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
I will NOT use the camera and from what I've read there are better ways to map routs and tracks out there.

If this is covered in another thread please let me know and I'll be on my way (after deleted this of course...)
If you are NOT ever going to use the camera, stick with the 600 and spend the savings on map products! Buying maps on CD or downloading to the computer is the most flexible way to go. With an 8 or 16 gig SD card the extra memory of the 650T as opposed to the 600 is not much of an issue for 95% of us. I've never even gotten to 30% of the 3 gig 600 internal memory in two years with all my maps on the SD card.

And yes, this has been covered dozens of times in this thread, but if you don't want to read all 9,000 posts just start Here: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Maps

This is also a good primer on using tracks and routes on the Montana:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=861944&page=2

It's a great unit but takes a bit of patience to learn thoroughly.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #8847
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Went Back to Ver 4.70

After my routing issues last Tuesday, I used the Wiki instructions and rolled my firmware back to version 4.70. It'll be a few days before I can test out if there is any difference. I'll be running maps on CNNT 2014.1 along with the 4.70 firmware. Here's hoping as I have a 1,000 mile d/s ride coming up that I really want the Montana to be used for. I do have a 60CSx as my backup.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #8848
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
After my routing issues last Tuesday, I used the Wiki instructions and rolled my firmware back to version 4.70.
I'm still on 4.70 and so far so good. I have not experienced some of the problems reported by others with later versions. I have become VERY leery of any new firmware release.....things just seem to keep getting more screwed up with each one.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #8849
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
, but if you don't want to read all 9,000 posts just start Here: thoroughly.
Thanks for the offer, but no...

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I've been thinking. I also have heard about the learning curve but that's ok.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #8850
JTMETZ54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My Montana has developed a problem turning on about half the time. It does a quick flash then stays black, it seems from my tracks that it is on and recording but I cannot see anything. I then have to turn it off a couple times before it will start up correctly. Has anybody else had this problem?
JTMETZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote