ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 251 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #9001
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41
I have the latest CNNA (2014.x) loaded on my Garmin 650 internal memory. I loaded a partial download of TOPO USA 100K on a 32g card (plugging the card right into the computer.) I used MapInstall for both installs.

Without the SD card in my Garmin, it sees the CNNA map. If I put the card in my Garmin, it only sees the Topo USA 100K (plus Digital Globe). It takes a long time to load the maps, kinda like it is trying to see the internal memory but fails.

In the past I installed all the maps on the card and it could see them all. But I had CNNA on both the internal memory and the card, which seems weird. Mapinstall does not let me remove CNNA off the internal memory. I have to go in an manually remove it

Something does not seem right about this. Why can't I split the maps between the internal memory and the card?

Also, Garmin told me I cannot do a full install of Topo 100K with MapInstall because there are too many individual map files in the install (over 6000). Does that sound right?

I removed Garmin Express from my computer, It could not update CNNA on my Garmin.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I am unsure how the Montana decides which maps it indexes in what order on boot, but it will stop indexing at ~4000 map segments. If your \Garmin\ directories contain more than ~4000 segments total, some of your maps will not be available on the device.
I reloaded only the eastern USA Topo 100k (3052 Map segments). My
unit is now seeing all the maps on both the internal storage and the SD card. Thanks.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #9002
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
I reloaded only the eastern USA Topo 100k (3052 Map segments). My
unit is now seeing all the maps on both the internal storage and the SD card. Thanks.
This is why I recommend buying the "t" models.

If you want to use 100k topographic maps, you can't install the entire US, and loading only half of it, as you have, leaves you with very little room to add more maps, due to the high number of map segments in the DVD version of them 100k topo map.

The 100k topo (v5) included with the "t" models consists of only 555 segments, covering the entire US, leaving room for an additional ~3400 segments of maps to be added.

This is also the same 100k topo that is on the uSD card version, and is locked to the uSD card, which can be switched from one GPSr to another, but prevents you from using your own data card with additional maps and data simultaneously.

Besides, the 100k topo is less expensive when purchased on a "t" model GPSr than it is on DVD or uSD card.

Just an observation.

atlas cached screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 10:47 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #9003
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,242
Quote:
This is why I recommend buying the "t" models.

If you want to use 100k topographic maps, you can't install the entire US, and loading only half of it, as you have, leaves you with very little room to add more maps, due to the high number of map segments in the DVD version of them 100k topo map.

The 100k topo (v5) included with the "t" models consists of only 555 segments, covering the entire US, leaving room for an additional 4400 segments of maps to be added.

This is also the same 100k topo that is on the uSD card version, and is locked to the uSD card, which can be switched from one GPSr to another, but prevents you from using your own data card with additional maps and data simultaneously.

Besides, the 100k topo is less expensive when purchased on a "t" model GPSr than it is on DVD or uSD card.

Just an observation.
Ahhh so that explains why I have no issue having the 100K along with a half dozen other maps loaded up on mine. It's only taking up 429 segments.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #9004
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Tracks Not Displaying in Track Manager

Hello,

When I look in Track Manager, I see three tracks which I build in Basecamp and sent to my Montana's H: drive. However, when I do a Receive from Device from within Basecamp, six tracks come down and are visible in Basecamp: the three I can see in Track Manager and three more that I previously sent to my Montana. Also in Basecamp, all six track names are appended with "001." A known problem (with a solution)? Suggestions? I have never done a master reset; is it that time?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #9005
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 312
OK, 24k West maps arrived today. Installed to computer. Now how do I get them on my GPS?
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #9006
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
OK, 24k West maps arrived today. Installed to computer. Now how do I get them on my GPS?
MapInstall. Do a Google search if you need a tutorial.

And check for MapInstall updates before you struggle with an early version.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #9007
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Read all about it!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #9008
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
The 100k topo (v5) included with the "t" models consists of only 555 segments, covering the entire US, leaving room for an additional 4400 segments of maps to be added.
Um, don't you mean 3445 segments? 4,000 minus 555? I thought the 4,000 segments (tiles) was a hard limit, internal plus SD card.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #9009
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Um, don't you mean 3445 segments? 4,000 minus 555? I thought the 4,000 segments (tiles) was a hard limit, internal plus SD card.
ooops, bad math :( working with 2 hrs sleep today, thanks for catching that typo!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #9010
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Quote:
YUUUUUP!

Done!!

Thanks again everybody. I think I'll take some time today to go through the entire tutorial. Heading out for a Day-trip with Airborndad tomorrow (if he gets his shit done today) and would love to be able to have some idea of what I'm doing.

EDIT
Started checking out tutorials. I opened up BaseCamp and can only see the original maps. When it first starts up, it looks like the portion of the West I loaded is trying to come up (see picture) but then it disappears and I only see "Internal Storage". When I click on that, it only shows the stuff that came with the GPS.

THRASHED screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 11:19 AM
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #9011
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
YUUUUUP!

Done!!

Thanks again everybody. I think I'll take some time today to go through the entire tutorial. Heading out for a Day-trip with Airborndad tomorrow (if he gets his shit done today) and would love to be able to have some idea of what I'm doing.

EDIT
Started checking out tutorials. I opened up BaseCamp and can only see the original maps. When it first starts up, it looks like the portion of the West I loaded is trying to come up (see picture) but then it disappears and I only see "Internal Storage". When I click on that, it only shows the stuff that came with the GPS.

The 'gmapbmap' is the base map preloaded on your GPSr from the factory, not your 'West' map.

Maps loaded on your GPSr will be available via the BaseCamp Map Product menu, provided they are configured to be visible in BaseCamp.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #9012
THRASHED
Moving on Up

This is ridiculous. Is there some very clear information that I can read/view? I read the Owner's Manual and watched the videos and they do very little to address common problems like the one I'm having right now. I appreciate the help you are offering, but posting one question at a time or doing lengthy searches is a pain.

I clicked the link to the JDM but it is not clear how to use it either. I click on every link (JaVaWa Device Manager (JDM)) and all it does it take me to another menu with no clear instructions. I can usually find my way around computer issues with a little guidance, but this is already starting to frustrate me. I realize there is a learning curve with each new electronic device, but this one seems to be steeper than usual.

Additionally, following the link for starting in Mass Storage Mode doesn't help either. I've connected my device quite a few times now and have never seen this menu for starting in Mass Storage Mode.

Found the ultimate device I was looking for. It's called the "Patient Wife". I added JDM and followed the directions

I think the two large coffees this morning are not helping the situation.

THRASHED screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 12:23 PM
Old 08-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #9013
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
This is ridiculous. Is there some very clear information that I can read/view? I read the Owner's Manual and watched the videos and they do very little to address common problems like the one I'm having right now. I appreciate the help you are offering, but posting one question at a time or doing lengthy searches is a pain.
Anything worth having is worth working for. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it :)

Quote:
I clicked the link to the JDM but it is not clear how to use it either. I click on every link (JaVaWa Device Manager (JDM)) and all it does it take me to another menu with no clear instructions. I can usually find my way around computer issues with a little guidance, but this is already starting to frustrate me. I realize there is a learning curve with each new electronic device, but this one seems to be steeper than usual.
The JDM links to the Software page, where you must select the proper version of JaVaWa Device Manager, based on your OS (Win or Mac), and install the software. Then continue with the tutorial to enable your maps in BaseCamp.

Yes, the Montana has a very steep learning curve for thos who wish to master it, and very few have. After two years with mine, I am still learning new ways to use it.

Quote:
Additionally, following the link for starting in Mass Storage Mode doesn't help either. I've connected my device quite a few times now and have never seen this menu for starting in Mass Storage Mode.
The second line of the Enable Maps in BaseCamp wiki page states:

"In most scenarios, when you connect your Montana to a computer via USB cable, the Montana will automatically detect the connection and enter mass storage mode."

As BaseCamp can clearly see your device, I suspect this is what you are experiencing, and are thus not seeing the selection menu.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #9014
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Quote:
Anything worth having is worth working for. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it :)

The JDM links to the Software page, where you must select the proper version of JaVaWa Device Manager, based on your OS (Win or Mac), and install the software. Then continue with the tutorial to enable your maps in BaseCamp.

Yes, the Montana has a very steep learning curve for thos who wish to master it, and very few have. After two years with mine, I am still learning new ways to use it.

The second line of the Enable Maps in BaseCamp wiki page states:

"In most scenarios, when you connect your Montana to a computer via USB cable, the Montana will automatically detect the connection and enter mass storage mode."

As BaseCamp can clearly see your device, I suspect this is what you are experiencing, and are thus not seeing the selection menu.
See my edited post above.

Initial setup is complete. I can now see the 24K maps. Thank you Atlas and I humbly accept the possibility that my wife knows best...sometimes.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #9015
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
See my edited post above.

Initial setup is complete. I can now see the 24K maps. Thank you Atlas and I humbly accept the possibility that my wife knows best...sometimes.
Good for her! I am still on my first cup of java this morning...

Borrow some of your wifes patience and you will find great enjoyment with your Montana GPSr, mostly.

As with any electronic device, frustration is a naturally occurring phenomena that can not be predicted or avoided.