ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #9001
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Yup, I did the same thing, except I left the fuse inline on the cable, and the audio. The other end of the SAE connector, wired direct to the battery and tucked away underneath the faux tank, serves as a connector for the Battery Tender as well.

PROVIDED YOU GET YOUR POLARITIES CORRECT!!!!
+1 here.

Just finished wiring it up. I set it up so the plug sits on top of the air box, outside of the frame. This way if I have to use it for a jump or a tender, I'm good to go.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #9002
THRASHED
Moving on Up

As I just posted, I finished wiring it up. I cannot get it to turn off while it is in the cradle. I also cannot find any reference to power settings for the power switch in the manual or on the setup screen.

Any help will be appreciated.

Scott

Never mind. I think I was just too quick to let go of the button. It powers down but the charge indication is on..not to self, remove from cradle for long stops.

THRASHED screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 10:06 PM
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #9003
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
As I just posted, I finished wiring it up. I cannot get it to turn off while it is in the cradle. I also cannot find any reference to power settings for the power switch in the manual or on the setup screen.

Any help will be appreciated.

Scott
If you use a switched power supply, it will power down automatically when the power source is removed :)

What happens if you HOLD the power button > 5 seconds while in the powered mount?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #9004
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This is a variation on the direct wire method - I use my Battery Tender cable with an SAE plug on the Montana wiring to make it easy to detach the Rugged Mount - originally to move it from one bike to another but I ended up doing all my mounts the same way, all four of them.

And this was after I decided to shorten the cable as much as possible.
Did something similar on my 990 ADV only I used one or our Baryl Panel Mount sockets and Baryl Plugs. I shortened the cradle cable in two places: between the "Y" and the cradle and then at the power pigtail. This let me maintain the audio pigtail.

The Baryl Panel mount pokes through the top of the dash just to the left of my homemade mount. The bicycle wheel skewer provides tilt adjustment.

The audio pigtail tucks in nicely below the cradle.

-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #9005
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
When you search for something it will end up in a box at the top of the map screen. Click the box, then the flag at the bottom of the screen to save the waypoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
After selecting the point on the Map screen, and selecting the Info Box that brings up the selected point data and the [Go] button, BEFORE you select [Go], press the little [Flag] icon on the bottom of the screen to automatically save the waypoint.

Now, you can select the [Pencil] icon to edit the waypoint info to your liking, and/or just...

Select [Go] to navigate to your newly saved waypoint!

Unless you delete the waypoint, it will always be there for future use :)

Ahhhh,,,, so that's what that icon is for!! Thanks

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #9006
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Map loading

I have the latest CNNA (2014.x) loaded on my Garmin 650 internal memory. I loaded a partial download of TOPO USA 100K on a 32g card (plugging the card right into the computer.) I used MapInstall for both installs.

Without the SD card in my Garmin, it sees the CNNA map. If I put the card in my Garmin, it only sees the Topo USA 100K (plus Digital Globe). It takes a long time to load the maps, kinda like it is trying to see the internal memory but fails.

In the past I installed all the maps on the card and it could see them all. But I had CNNA on both the internal memory and the card, which seems weird. Mapinstall does not let me remove CNNA off the internal memory. I have to go in an manually remove it

Something does not seem right about this. Why can't I split the maps between the internal memory and the card?

Also, Garmin told me I cannot do a full install of Topo 100K with MapInstall because there are too many individual map files in the install (over 6000). Does that sound right?

I removed Garmin Express from my computer, It could not update CNNA on my Garmin.

Thanks
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #9007
Rocky TFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
Never mind. I think I was just too quick to let go of the button. It powers down but the charge indication is on..note to self, remove from cradle for long stops.
If the Lithium battery is installed, it will continue to charge from the bike's battery when powered off, eventually sucking enough charge to deplete it to below starting ability. This does take a day or two depending on the size of the bike battery.

I always remove it for overnights, but have left it on during day stops of several hours. I still prefer the direct wire hookup in spite of this possible problem, and have developed the habit of removal at the end of the day.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #9008
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
I have the latest CNNA (2014.x) loaded on my Garmin 650 internal memory. I loaded a partial download of TOPO USA 100K on a 32g card (plugging the card right into the computer.) I used MapInstall for both installs.

Without the SD card in my Garmin, it sees the CNNA map. If I put the card in my Garmin, it only sees the Topo USA 100K (plus Digital Globe). It takes a long time to load the maps, kinda like it is trying to see the internal memory but fails.

In the past I installed all the maps on the card and it could see them all. But I had CNNA on both the internal memory and the card, which seems weird. Mapinstall does not let me remove CNNA off the internal memory. I have to go in an manually remove it

Something does not seem right about this. Why can't I split the maps between the internal memory and the card?

Also, Garmin told me I cannot do a full install of Topo 100K with MapInstall because there are too many individual map files in the install (over 6000). Does that sound right?

I removed Garmin Express from my computer, It could not update CNNA on my Garmin.

Thanks
I am unsure how the Montana decides which maps it indexes in what order on boot, but it will stop indexing at ~4000 map segments. If your \Garmin\ directories contain more than ~4000 segments total, some of your maps will not be available on the device.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #9009
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,599
Quote:
I am unsure how the Montana decides which maps it indexes in what order on boot, but it will stop indexing at ~4000 map segments. If your \Garmin\ directories contain more than ~4000 segments total, some of your maps will not be available on the device.
Is that 4000 total for all your map files, or is it 4000 per map file. Right now I have 4 versions of CNNT, 24K SC topos, 100K topo's, and Roads and Rec installed between my internal memory and SD card, each in it's own file and I can see every map.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #9010
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Is that 4000 total for all your map files, or is it 4000 per map file. Right now I have 4 versions of CNNT, 24K SC topos, 100K topo's, and Roads and Rec installed between my internal memory and SD card, each in it's own file and I can see every map.

4000 map segments TOTAL.

If you have more than that loaded (and judging from your quote, you do), you will not see all your maps, regardless of what you think you see.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #9011
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
4000 map segments TOTAL.

If you have more than that loaded (and judging from your quote, you do), you will not see all your maps, regardless of what you think you see.
Does it default to the basemap then when you are actually on the map display?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #9012
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Does it default to the basemap then when you are actually on the map display?
The Montana will display up to 4000 map segments for maps that are A) indexed by the unit at boot up and B) enabled in [Setup > Map > Map Information]. Detail and Zoom settings as well as individual map draw order will also affect what is (and is not) displayed on the map screen.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #9013
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

OK, I see why I'm not having an issue. With JavaWa I can see that I am not exceeding the 4000 segment limit. I forgot that some of the CNNT maps only have a few states selected.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #9014
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
OK, I see why I'm not having an issue. With JavaWa I can see that I am not exceeding the 4000 segment limit. I forgot that some of the CNNT maps only have a few states selected.
That is what some would call 'useful information'. :)

May I ask why you keep multiple versions of CNNA on your Montana?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #9015
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
If the Lithium battery is installed, it will continue to charge from the bike's battery when powered off, eventually sucking enough charge to deplete it to below starting ability. This does take a day or two depending on the size of the bike battery.

I always remove it for overnights, but have left it on during day stops of several hours. I still prefer the direct wire hookup in spite of this possible problem, and have developed the habit of removal at the end of the day.
That's MY plan.