ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9121
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
I will take it some place an have it up dated. My internet is probably to slow to get it done.

Thanks for every ones help.
System software updates are not large. No matter how slow your internet is, you must be able to get the latest Montana update through Garmin's Web Updater. If you don't have Web Updater, go here to download it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #9122
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Working

Thanks once more this time for the link to the updater service. After down loading it had a little trouble finding the devise. Found it after a few tries and now I have the newest updates.

Not only that it works, I can now go to other states, besides confusion my usual one.

I keep learning I may be able to do more than turn on and off this darn computer. Sure appreciate the help. Maybe I will be able to learn how to do tracks one day, ok one can wish!

At 64 year old new things aren't as easy to learn, and hate goofing it up so it won't work at all!
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #9123
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
Thanks once more this time for the link to the updater service. After down loading it had a little trouble finding the devise. Found it after a few tries and now I have the newest updates.

Not only that it works, I can now go to other states, besides confusion my usual one.

I keep learning I may be able to do more than turn on and off this darn computer. Sure appreciate the help. Maybe I will be able to learn how to do tracks one day, ok one can wish!

At 64 year old new things aren't as easy to learn, and hate goofing it up so it won't work at all!
Glad to hear it worked for you. Age is no impediment. All you need to do is try, and if it's not working for you, ask away.

And don't worry about tracks - the gps takes care of those. It records them as you ride.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #9124
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 847
Does anyone know how to shut off the red pin drop? It really cheese me off when I'm trying to navigate and it automatically places a red pin everywhere. Obviously you're going to touch the screen more to navigate than to drop stupid pins. Any suggestions? Great device though.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #9125
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
Does anyone know how to shut off the red pin drop? It really cheese me off when I'm trying to navigate and it automatically places a red pin everywhere. Obviously you're going to touch the screen more to navigate than to drop stupid pins. Any suggestions? Great device though.
You cannot disable it...just ignore it. Pan the map as you wish and then just push the Back Arrow.

In addition, if you use the proper touchscreen technique you won't get the "Pin". When you touch the screen make sure not to lift your finger until you have moved the map. Be deliberate. You get the pin when you touch and lift your finger.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #9126
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You cannot disable it...just ignore it. Pan the map as you wish and then just push the Back Arrow.
The red pin can be removed from the map view by simply selecting the light grey "X" at the right side of the corresponding info box that appears with the red pin.

Cheers
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #9127
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
The red pin can be removed from the map view by simply selecting the light grey "X" at the right side of the corresponding info box that appears with the red pin.

Cheers
True, but it's just easier to ignore it cause if you're doing much panning it will keep dropping pins and you'll just spend wasted time deleting them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #9128
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
True, but it's just easier to ignore it cause if you're doing much panning it will keep dropping pins and you'll just spend wasted time deleting them.
It won't drop pins if you do as Drtbyk said. Touch and drag, and it won't leave pins.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #9129
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It won't drop pins if you do as Drtbyk said. Touch and drag, and it won't leave pins.
I'm too ham fisted. I always drop pins.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #9130
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Surgery on the battery pins...

OK, you know how you're supposed to insert the battery in the Montana, right? Contact end first, then the other end, by the foam.

Well, call me stupid, but I did it the other way around...

Battery was dead, I wanted to take it on a hike thus removed the battery and slapped in some AAs. So far so good. After the hike (12 km in mountains), feeling a little tired and not thinking clearly, I replaced the battery. However, instead of doing it the right way, I placed the battery short end first and then pressing down on the contacts end.

That, unfortunately, bent/squished some of the copper pins at the end of the tray and now my Montana won't charge.

First off, the way the pins are, out of the box:

(Picture courtesy of our resident Montana guru... Thanks Emmbeedee

Then, how it looked with the squished copper pins:

IMG_0899.jpg on Flickr

How 'bout a closeup?

IMG_0899-2.jpg, on Flickr

I used a combination of small bent needle nose pliers and mostly a eyeglass screwdriver to shape the middle two pins back in shape.

IMG_0911.jpg, on Flickr

Same picture with a closeup:

IMG_0911-2.jpg, on Flickr

The first one, closest to me, didn't need attention and thus made a good guide. The fourth one -- furthest away in the pic -- was badly squished. The pin in soldered in at the bottom but the top part comes out of its place. I was then able to reshape and wiggle the top part back in its place.

Final result:

IMG_0903.jpg, on Flickr

And once again with a closeup:

IMG_0903-2.jpg, on Flickr

After reinstalling the battery (the right way, folks) I put the Montana (600, in case you're keeping stats) back on the charger and a few minutes later, it showed 4% instead of 2%. (Where it had previously been stuck...)

Woot, no need to send the unit back to Garmin!
Corbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #9131
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
And as a side effect...no more random shutdowns! Everyone smash your pins!!!
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #9132
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
And as a side effect...no more random shutdowns! Everyone smash your pins!!!
How do you come to this conclusion?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #9133
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Question About Routes

Both last summer and again this summer, I had significant problems with my Montana when trying to navigate routes. Last summer, I created routes in Basecamp (for Mac) then uploaded them to the GPS. When I would select a route to navigate, I'd get an alert saying there were no navigable maps for that area (or words to that effect). I've seen others in this thread report the same issue this year. I also discovered that, if I simply selected a waypoint, and told the GPS to "Go" there, it would construct a route and navigate to the waypoint without any difficulty. Fast forward to this summer. I created a series of routes (and tracks from those routes) for a multi-week trip in Basecamp, but uploaded only the waypoints and tracks to my Montana. I then created the routes on the GPS using the trip planner function. I thought that would eliminate the trouble I experienced last year. It seemed to work well -- for about the first hour of day one! Then the map stopped moving and eventually the GPS froze completely. Clearly it did not want to navigate a route with more than one waypoint (I was nowhere near the limit; the most waypoints I had in any given route was about four). Once again, it had no trouble navigating to a single waypoint, if I selected one and told it to navigate there. Here's my question: do you think I'll have any better luck if I take a multi-waypoint route created in Basecamp, use direct routing in BC before I upload the route to the Montana, then call it up on the GPS and try to navigate it that way?
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #9134
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Both last summer and again this summer, I had significant problems with my Montana when trying to navigate routes. Last summer, I created routes in Basecamp (for Mac) then uploaded them to the GPS. When I would select a route to navigate, I'd get an alert saying there were no navigable maps for that area (or words to that effect). I've seen others in this thread report the same issue this year. I also discovered that, if I simply selected a waypoint, and told the GPS to "Go" there, it would construct a route and navigate to the waypoint without any difficulty. Fast forward to this summer. I created a series of routes (and tracks from those routes) for a multi-week trip in Basecamp, but uploaded only the waypoints and tracks to my Montana. I then created the routes on the GPS using the trip planner function. I thought that would eliminate the trouble I experienced last year. It seemed to work well -- for about the first hour of day one! Then the map stopped moving and eventually the GPS froze completely. Clearly it did not want to navigate a route with more than one waypoint (I was nowhere near the limit; the most waypoints I had in any given route was about four). Once again, it had no trouble navigating to a single waypoint, if I selected one and told it to navigate there. Here's my question: do you think I'll have any better luck if I take a multi-waypoint route created in Basecamp, use direct routing in BC before I upload the route to the Montana, then call it up on the GPS and try to navigate it that way?
My answer would be, Yes. You should have better luck with Along-road routing if you start with a Direct Route and then change the Route Activity to Automobile Driving on the Montana. This method also gives you the opportunity to change/edit the route on the Montana.

Report this to Garmin as a bug or we will never get this fixed.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #9135
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
My answer would be, Yes. You should have better luck with Along-road routing if you start with a Direct Route and then change the Route Activity to Automobile Driving on the Montana. This method also gives you the opportunity to change/edit the route on the Montana.

Report this to Garmin as a bug or we will never get this fixed.
I reported the problem in detail to Garmin late last summer (2012). Obviously, they've none nothing about it, or if they have, it certainly didn't correct the problem. I got the Montana to replace my 276C. To date, it has failed miserably in performing its primary mission (at least for me) and that's to navigate routes that I create in Basecamp and upload to the GPS.

As for direct routes, I just want to ensure I'm not missing something very basic.
I've uploaded a direct route to the Montana. Then I simply selected "Where To?" and then "Routes". I selected the direct route and after the route appeared on screen, I merely hit the green "Go" button. It then asked me the "Minimize Time", or "Minimize Distance" question. I punched "Minimize Time" and it then recalculated the route.

Have I got that right? Missed anything (seems straightforward enough)? But then again, I thought I had it figured out when I created routes on the GPS by using Route Planner and selecting waypoints. That failed miserably.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote