ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #9406
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Maybe a dumb suggestion but I ride with the Montana set to track up and like any GPS if I stop still at a junction for a break the map will start to wander as I have no direction, I have recently started tapping the screen before pulling up for a rest which locks the screen and stops it spinning around when you stop. As you move off just cancel the waypoint pin to free up the map again. If there is some function that does the same thing let me know, maybe just having a dumb moment. Just helps to keep the map orientated when stopping to plan your next move.

Andy
Not a dumb suggestion at all. I think it makes sense.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #9407
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Maybe a dumb suggestion but I ride with the Montana set to track up and like any GPS if I stop still at a junction for a break the map will start to wander as I have no direction, I have recently started tapping the screen before pulling up for a rest which locks the screen and stops it spinning around when you stop. As you move off just cancel the waypoint pin to free up the map again. If there is some function that does the same thing let me know, maybe just having a dumb moment. Just helps to keep the map orientated when stopping to plan your next move.

Andy
Your solution is the only method I am aware of to temporarily correct bug #7.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #9408
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteveAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 1,114
[QUOTE=El Ponkin;22258344..... If there is some function that does the same thing let me know....

Andy[/QUOTE]

If you press the little indicator that shows which way north is on the map (assuming you are in "track up" orientation), that usually temporarily puts the map in "north up" orientation - good for planning, etc., at least for me.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #9409
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner
 
El Ponkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
If you press the little indicator that shows which way north is on the map (assuming you are in "track up" orientation), that usually temporarily puts the map in "north up" orientation - good for planning, etc., at least for me.
Thanks mate that is very useful.
Andy
__________________
Don't Tempt Fate Taunt It, Right Here Right N0W
----------------------
KTM 690R 2011

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #9410
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteveAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Thanks mate that is very useful.
Andy
Happy to help... I see your location is Brisbane...Did some work out that way a couple of years ago just before the flood. Office over in west end on Montague and out on a small farm south on Rochedale. Good beers but *way* too expensive!!! Wished I could have spent more time not working though...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #9411
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 819
My Montana has CNNT 2014.1 on it.

I see CNNt 2014.2 is available - it's $79.99, but the nüMaps Lifetime is on sale until Sept 15th for $69.99, so I obviously went that route.


Now, Garmin's web page says that a map update is available and offers me the purchase; however, if I add the nüMaps to my device, it says my device is up to date. The 'Garmin Map Update' app recently posted also says my device is up to date.

Any thoughts?
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate HATE SUV) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
Upcoming: Heart of the West Sept 2014 Past: Two idiots and a guy on a VFR have dinner in Prudhoe
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #9412
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
My Montana has CNNT 2014.1 on it.

I see CNNt 2014.2 is available - it's $79.99, but the nüMaps Lifetime is on sale until Sept 15th for $69.99, so I obviously went that route.


Now, Garmin's web page says that a map update is available and offers me the purchase; however, if I add the nüMaps to my device, it says my device is up to date. The 'Garmin Map Update' app recently posted also says my device is up to date.

Any thoughts?
Did you purchase the LMU and apply the code to your Montana? If so, and it's still not working for you, your shortest solution would be to call Garmin on their toll-free number.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #9413
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Did you purchase the LMU and apply the code to your Montana? If so, and it's still not working for you, your shortest solution would be to call Garmin on their toll-free number.
Just spoke to Garmin.

Apparently the LMU only works with a) devices pre-loaded with CNNT or b) devices with CNNT loaded from DVD. It does not work with the download edition of CNNT.
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate HATE SUV) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
Upcoming: Heart of the West Sept 2014 Past: Two idiots and a guy on a VFR have dinner in Prudhoe
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #9414
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Just spoke to Garmin.

Apparently the LMU only works with a) devices pre-loaded with CNNT or b) devices with CNNT loaded from DVD. It does not work with the download edition of CNNT.
Have you purchased the LMU already? Did you ask for a refund, or if you could exchange your dowload version for the dvd? Garmin is often able to help, if you ask nicely.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #9415
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Have you purchased the LMU already? Did you ask for a refund, or if you could exchange your dowload version for the dvd? Garmin is often able to help, if you ask nicely.
I did purchase LMU already. They said I bought CNNT Download too long ago to refund, but they gave me a "deep discount" on CNNT DVD version. I kept LMU since I can use it with the DVD.
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate HATE SUV) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
Upcoming: Heart of the West Sept 2014 Past: Two idiots and a guy on a VFR have dinner in Prudhoe
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #9416
Attico
Wrong way 'round
 
Attico's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,651
Anyone like their Tempe sensor?

I bought it because ..... well I don't really know why ... but it seems to be off quite a bit. It was ~17c yesterday and it was reading 24c. It is also made of black plastic, which is a poor choice. I haven't found a good spot for it. I keep it on my jacket since i have cradles on both bikes.

It also takes a long time to register temperature differences.

Let me know what you guys have experienced. It's kinda useless, unfortunately.
__________________
"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #9417
klinquist
übergeek
 
klinquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Anyone like their Tempe sensor?

I bought it because ..... well I don't really know why ... but it seems to be off quite a bit. It was ~17c yesterday and it was reading 24c. It is also made of black plastic, which is a poor choice. I haven't found a good spot for it. I keep it on my jacket since i have cradles on both bikes.

It also takes a long time to register temperature differences.

Let me know what you guys have experienced. It's kinda useless, unfortunately.
I like mine. Found a spot zip-tied under the triple tree on my tiger:




Seems to be accurate enough... I have a second one on my DRZ.
__________________
My 2013 Tiger 800 "Off-Roadie" (plate HATE SUV) - My 2003 DRZ (plate LV DRT RD) - My 2003 E350 Adventure Van (plate ADV VAN) - Amateur Radio W1ADV
Upcoming: Heart of the West Sept 2014 Past: Two idiots and a guy on a VFR have dinner in Prudhoe
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #9418
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Anyone like their Tempe sensor?
I like mine. I keep it attached to the lanyard; that way it never loses its connection. I find it a PITA to shut off the connection on the gps or restart it to re-establish a connection between the two if they get separated, like one is left on the bike while the gps is brought into a restaurant, for instance.

And if it's on the lanyard, then I don't always need to remember which jacket I left it in/on. That happened a lot before I hooked it to the lanyard.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #9419
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,125
MBD, what's the HP rating on that 2 wheeler?
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #9420
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
MBD, what's the HP rating on that 2 wheeler?
More than my DR650!
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014