ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #9556
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It also won't do that. Tracks are stored on the gps, and unlike the 60/76C(S)x series, there's no way to tell the gps to log to the SD card. That may be why it can't get tracks from there as well.
Yes, I checked the email and found the corrected one from the tech who apologized and stated that it only store in internal memory. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Edit: If only Garmin would find a way for iPad (Bluetooth) and Android tablets to communicate with GPS wirelessly and transfer data to memory like they currently can do with Oregon 600. The tech suggested me that if I ride with a riding buddy who is currently looking for a GPS he could get a Oregon 600 and have tracks transferred there wirelessly from Basecamp apps for iOS/Android then use the Oregon 600 to communicate with Montana 600 and transfer the tracks to Montana 600 internal memory. This would be a solution to my failed experiment but I didn't want to comment on that until the actual experiment has been done. I won't be leaving for big trip until summer of 2015 (10th Anniversary party at my campground and High School's 50th Anniversary in 2014) so maybe Garmin will have something by the time??
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #9557
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Yes, I checked the email and found the corrected one from the tech who apologized and stated that it only store in internal memory. Thanks for correcting my mistake.
Wasn't really your mistake.

Anyway, if JP can save from Basecamp to the card in a hub and the Montana can see those, then that's great. Good to know, but I still wouldn't worry about doing a Hard Reset. There are people here who do mid-trip resets to cure niggling little faults.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #9558
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
...Good to know, but I still wouldn't worry about doing a Hard Reset. There are people here who do mid-trip resets to cure niggling little faults.

Amen Brutha. A hard reset is not as disruptive as you think. Do it!!! You'll be glad you did.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #9559
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Restoring Profile

Restoring a profile...

I know if I was to do a restore from "some" of the menus it just restores that menu. But sometimes if your not careful (to quick to tap the screen without reading) you end up restoring the unit to factory settings.

The bad part is if you are using a profile other than the Recreation profile, the factory restore will overwrite the profile you are using with the Recreation profile settings....

So the question (refresh my memory) is there a way to restore the missing profile if you're away from home and do not have access to a computer to either restore from a backup, or download the missing (messed up) profile from the Wiki site?

This is the biggest thing I dislike about the Montana. In my mind doing a restore to factory settings "Should" reset the unit to the way it was out of the box including all default profile settings.

This issue has bitten me more than once but so far I've always been at home and can quickly restore the messed up profile settings since I have backup's on my computer. But if it ever happens when I do not have access to a computer and USB cable, I will be really pissed at Garmin for designing the unit that way.

Oh, I looked at the Wiki site but could not find the answer.

I did find copies to the original profiles though.
http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces....tup+-+Profiles

Jon...
Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #9560
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Restoring a profile...

I know if I was to do a restore from "some" of the menus it just restores that menu. But sometimes if your not careful (to quick to tap the screen without reading) you end up restoring the unit to factory settings.

The bad part is if you are using a profile other than the Recreation profile, the factory restore will overwrite the profile you are using with the Recreation profile settings....
In my experience, it does not change the current profile's attributes to "Recreation". It just changes to the Recreation profile, and all you need to do is switch back to the other profile.

All my customised profiles were left mostly untouched. There were a few minor global preferences applied by the Restore process to all the profiles but I think it was not a lot more than all maps being enabled in all profiles. Simple things like that.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #9561
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think you can't load tracks to the gps from the SD card. You can place them there in x:\garmin\gpx, but they won't be picked up if I remember correctly.
All GPX files located in the \Garmin\GPX\ directory on the uSD card will be read and indexed by the Montana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
That's correct. That's what Garmin Support told me you can only load tracks directly from computer to Montana but it will not fetch tracks from SD card, only store saved tracks to SD card.
Garmin support is (frequently) not very knowledgeable when it comes to their own products.

Quote:
It also won't do that. Tracks are stored on the gps, and unlike the 60/76C(S)x series, there's no way to tell the gps to log to the SD card. That may be why it can't get tracks from there as well.
All tracks, routes, waypoints (etc) created by the Montana will be saved to the Montana\Garmin\GPX\ directory. The Montana will read all GPX files stored on the uSD card.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #9562
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
All GPX files located in the \Garmin\GPX\ directory on the uSD card will be read and indexed by the Montana.
Yes; we established that yesterday.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #9563
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Restoring a profile...

Jon...
Quote:
In my experience, it does not change the current profile's attributes to "Recreation". It just changes to the Recreation profile, and all you need to do is switch back to the other profile.

All my customised profiles were left mostly untouched. There were a few minor global preferences applied by the Restore process to all the profiles but I think it was not a lot more than all maps being enabled in all profiles. Simple things like that.
It's always done it to me......In fact I thought it was you that at one time even said to always change to the Recreation profile before doing a reset so that would not happen. But I could be confusing you with someone else since it was a long time ago.

** Caution do not do the following without a backup **

Try this.....

Change to Automotive profile.
Go to settings > setup > reset > Reset all settings.
Click the red Reset button to restore to factory settings.

It will not change the name of the Automotive profile but the background image on the Automotive profile home screen and icons will change to the Recreation profile. If you go to the map it will not have the car icon on the map or the Nuvi screen.

Note: It does not mess with the other profiles, only the one you were using at the time. Also, I have no idea if doing the "reset while powering" up would produce the same result since I've never done that.

My current solution....

I've created duplicates of the Automotive and Motorcycle profiles using different names and use those profiles so I can go back to the originals if I mess up.

The only other way I know to get the original Automotive profile (or other profiles) back is to restore them from my backup's. Or if not at home, to download them off the Wiki site if I have the USB cable with me to connect the Montana to a computer.

Jon...
Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #9564
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
It's always done it to me......In fact I thought it was you that at one time even said to always change to the Recreation profile before doing a reset so that would not happen. But I could be confusing you with someone else since it was a long time ago.
I think DRTBYK suggests that. I generally leave it on whatever profile it happens to be on when I restore. I don't do anything special to prepare. No incantations. No special prayers. I just do it.

And you're right, it does change the current profile's background. I just did a Setup\Reset\Reset All Settings just for interest's sake. I had made a copy of the Automotive profile and used that to reset from, but all my other profiles were still there with their own unique settings. No additional maps were enabled in the profiles I've checked. No backgrounds were changed. Fast map redraw was still enabled in the profiles it had been enabled in before. Zoom settings were as before the reset. So were Dashboards and vehicle icons.

So this is a little different than I remember; perhaps system updates made it so. But the Hard Reset was even more benign than I expected. And that's good news.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 12:52 PM
Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #9565
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think DRTBYK suggests that. I generally leave it on whatever profile it happens to be on when I restore. I don't do anything special to prepare. No incantations. No special prayers. I just do it.
Now that you mention it I think it was DRTBYK who said that.

Quote:
........No incantations. No special prayers. I just do it.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #9566
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Now that you mention it I think it was DRTBYK who said that.

I added a little info to my post above, in case you didn't see it. I did a hard reset. Details above.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #9567
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
So I am tooling along the highway at 65 and look down on the Garmin 650T tells me in Map screen that I WALKING on I75. Mind you, i'm doing 65.
It switched to automotive profile and it did it there too.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #9568
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
So I am tooling along the highway at 65 and look down on the Garmin 650T tells me in Map screen that I WALKING on I75. Mind you, i'm doing 65.
It switched to automotive profile and it did it there too.
Were your shoes on fire? You need to visit "Setup\Routing\Activity" type.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #9569
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I added a little info to my post above, in case you didn't see it. I did a hard reset. Details above.
I had missed the update......thanks for testing it out.....Good to know it's not just my GPS.

Correct it does not mess with the other profiles just the one that was active at the time. It's done that since the beginning for me no matter what firmware I was on (currently on 5.40)

I have to wonder how many calls Garmin gets regarding this issue. I know when it first happened to me I called them and the tech had me do another reset by holding down on the screen while powering up. Obviously that did not help since the profile was already messed up.

Thankfully I had made a backup as was suggested in this thread and was able to restore the GPS.

Jon...
Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #9570
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thankfully I had made a backup as was suggested in this thread and was able to restore the GPS.
Good idea. I created a new profile and called it "Reset Profile". I'll just switch to this one before any (intentional) resets from now on.