ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #9556
GB.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Here's a new one, I have City NT Europe installed on my SD card, I also installed a European Topo map to the card, 16GB card so loads of space. here's the strange thing, with the Topo installed the City NT is not shown when I go to select map? But I can see it on the SDcard when viewed as a drive via my Mac? When I remove the Topo, City NT becomes available again, weird or what?
I have tried re-installing both maps but the same problem occurs even though there is loads of space on the SD card??
GB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #9557
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB. View Post
Here's a new one, I have City NT Europe installed on my SD card, I also installed a European Topo map to the card, 16GB card so loads of space. here's the strange thing, with the Topo installed the City NT is not shown when I go to select map? But I can see it on the SDcard when viewed as a drive via my Mac? When I remove the Topo, City NT becomes available again, weird or what?
I have tried re-installing both maps but the same problem occurs even though there is loads of space on the SD card??
Sounds like you've exceeded the maximum map tiles number. Not sure what the number is, offhand.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #9558
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sounds like you've exceeded the maximum map tiles number. Not sure what the number is, offhand.
Topo maps typically have a lot of map Tiles compared to CNEU or CNNA. I would expect CNEU to be around 450 Tiles but if your Topo is all of the EU I expect you far exceeded what I think is a 4000 Tile limit on the Montana. If you used Garmin MapInstall to install these maps it would have shown the number of Tiles selected for install.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #9559
GB.
Adventurer

Thanks Guys, that kinda makes sense.

This is what my current set up.

On SDcard (16GB)

City Nav europe NT 3.2GB
GB Discover 3.29GB
TT British Isles 606Mb

On Garmin memory
Topo UK 1.74GB

Now the Topo Europe is 3.63GB

I would happily lose the Topo UK if I could get the Topo Euro on.
Just to put something else into the mix I cant install Topo Euro or Topo Uk via Map install as it does not recognize see them on my computer (Mac) so I have no idea how many tiles I have spare etc
Old 10-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #9560
GB.
Adventurer

I deleted topo uk then re-installed topo euro and it worked so the tile theory seems to be correct.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #9561
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I deleted topo uk then re-installed topo euro and it worked so the tile theory seems to be correct.
Was there ever any doubt?

Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #9562
GB.
Adventurer

I wasn't aware there was a "tile limit" I just presumed it was the memory that restricted the amount of maps you can use, you live and learn.
On a plus not the latest 5.40 software seems to be the best so far.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #9563
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
I wasn't aware there was a "tile limit" I just presumed it was the memory that restricted the amount of maps you can use, you live and learn.
On a plus not the latest 5.40 software seems to be the best so far.
Should you ever tire of 'presuming', plenty of good reading available over here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #9564
GB.
Adventurer

Thank you.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #9565
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
I can get in units not being seen by laptop

You may remember a few pages back my Montana and 478 were not being seen by my laptop.

Tried them both on 2 other comupters including a Mac. Same thing.
As I need both unit urgently (beginning tomorrow) I was not willing to send them abck to Garmin.

Spent 4 hours on the phone with Garmin this week. Once I had the same result on other computers their response was to send them back.

A friend suggested a hard rest of the 478. Voila! Problem solved.
Havent tried it on the Montana as I dont want to lose all of my profiles and I can get around it for now by loading the routes and tracks on the memory card.

Will try the hard reset of the Montana next week when I get back from my New England trip.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #9566
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
Havent tried it on the Montana as I dont want to lose all of my profiles and I can get around it for now by loading the routes and tracks on the memory card.

Will try the hard reset of the Montana next week when I get back from my New England trip.
You're not going to lose anything on your Montana by doing a hard reset. Virtually the only thing that will change will be that you'll end up coming back in the Recreation profile.

There will be some other minor changes but nothing you can't get back in 10 minutes of fiddling.

It won't remove any profiles.

Just do it.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #9567
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think you can't load tracks to the gps from the SD card. You can place them there in x:\garmin\gpx, but they won't be picked up if I remember correctly.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #9568
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I could be wrong, but I think you can't load tracks to the gps from the SD card. You can place them there in x:\garmin\gpx, but they won't be picked up if I remember correctly.
That's correct. That's what Garmin Support told me you can only load tracks directly from computer to Montana but it will not fetch tracks from SD card, only store saved tracks to SD card.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #9569
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
only store saved tracks to SD card.
It also won't do that. Tracks are stored on the gps, and unlike the 60/76C(S)x series, there's no way to tell the gps to log to the SD card. That may be why it can't get tracks from there as well.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #9570
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Montana Hard Reset / Tracks on SD card

"You're not going to lose anything on your Montana by doing a hard reset. Virtually the only thing that will change will be that you'll end up coming back in the Recreation profile.

There will be some other minor changes but nothing you can't get back in 10 minutes of fiddling.

It won't remove any profiles.

Just do it. "

I leave on the trip tomorrow. I cant risk any trouble with the Montana at this point.

"I could be wrong, but I think you can't load tracks to the gps from the SD card. You can place them there in x:\garmin\gpx, but they won't be picked up if I remember correctly. "

If I take the uSD card out of the Montana and put it in my USB hub I can see the card. Using BaseCamp I downloaded tracks to the uSD card. When I put the uSD card on the Montana the tracks appear in the Track Manager and I can navigate the tracks.

I cannot save the tracks of my travels using the Montana to the uSD card.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote