ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #9631
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
Thanks, Mike! That seems to have done the trick.

I was so annoyed last night. Nothing was working properly. The process you suggested appears to have worked. I can see the new route and it lets me activate it. Thanks for the help!
Aw shucks. Glad it worked for you. There's still something wrong there but it could be the computer at fault. At least you have what you need for today.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #9632
f1isbest
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Montana questions

I have been trying to find the good "How to site" for this, such as:

Difference between a route and track.

If I want to follow a previously ridden track on my dirtbike, should I "go to" route, track or adventure.

What should I store on the SD chip and what to store on the unit?

Just basic questions on using this thing for trail riding on my WR250R

(I have been to the site Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs,)

Thanks
Bob
Flapper box Modification
Many Add-ons from Dirt Freak DRC hardware.
f1isbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #9633
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1isbest View Post
I have been trying to find the good "How to site" for this, such as:

Difference between a route and track.

If I want to follow a previously ridden track on my dirtbike, should I "go to" route, track or adventure.

What should I store on the SD chip and what to store on the unit?

Just basic questions on using this thing for trail riding on my WR250R

(I have been to the site Garmin Montana Collected Wisdom and FAQs,)

Thanks
Bob
The following are excerpts from one of my articles at the link in my Sig-line:
Routes: In today’s GPS context, a route is a path calculated by the GPS between a minimum of two waypoints using onboard maps that contain information (routing data) that the GPS uses in the calculation. Since a Route is calculated, no two GPS’s will produce the same Route given a start point and end point unless they are calculated on the same model of GPS using the same exact map data with the same exact routing preferences – and that is rare!

Tracks: Since the beginning, commercial GPS’s have been able to record the path we traveled by setting points (latitude, longitude) along the way. These points (track points) are represented on the GPS display by a line connecting them from start to finish. Once a track is recorded the direction of travel for a track is determined by the time-stamp associated with each point along the path. As you can see there is a significant difference between Route’s and Track’s. So, are Route’s really useful? Well, sometimes, but not when you want to ensure everyone follows the same path – then we need Tracks. Tracks can also be created outside of the GPS by essentially drawing them on in a Mapping application - like BaseCamp. In BaseCamp, Tracks can also be created by creating a Route and then having BaseCamp create a Track from the Route's path - very useful.

Digital Maps: Most modern GPS’s support pre-installed or installable digital maps. The two fundamental types of digital maps are referred to as Raster or Vector maps. Raster maps can be made from arial or satellite imagery, scanned paper maps or any image that is earth coordinate calibrated. Vector maps are typically created using map editing software, or drawn, and have earth coordinate data associated to the drawn lines that represent roads; or any other feature the author wants to place on the map. The advantage of vector maps is that they can also have routing data associated to the roads which will enable the GPS to create a route based on a start point and an end point. Maps are only as good as the author who created them. There is not one type of map that is better than another but routable vector maps are more convenient since you can both auto-route and use waypoints and tracks to navigate.
You might read the article on the Montana - it was written when the Montana was first released but will give you some basics.

You can put your data (waypoints, routes, tracks, maps, etc.) in either place. I put mine on the microSD Card as it is easy to remove if there are problems with either the GPS or the data.

As for what type of data is best for what you want to do that is really up to you once you learn more about the tool you purchased.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #9634
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Dan, that is some very clear explaining you've done.

I'd like to add that as useful as it is to 'draw' or convert a route into a track there is one big difference. Without that time stamp on each point in the track, you can't know that the creator has actually been there. I'm always very careful not to fully trust imaginary tracks.

Cheers
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #9635
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
Dan, that is some very clear explaining you've done.

I'd like to add that as useful as it is to 'draw' or convert a route into a track there is one big difference. Without that time stamp on each point in the track, you can't know that the creator has actually been there. I'm always very careful not to fully trust imaginary tracks.

Cheers
A well made point R-dubb. I should have added: I only use fabricated tracks when I personally know that the path is viable.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #9636
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,963
Laugh Great ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Aw shucks. Glad it worked for you. There's still something wrong there but it could be the computer at fault. At least you have what you need for today.
Rode several great roads today. Thanks again for the help! :~)

I did update software on computer and device before attempting the transfer last night. I'll reboot the computer and see if that helps much. It could be in a funky state. Ones and zeros all messed up.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #9637
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Just imported a route into my Montana. I got the error message saying there were more than 50 points. Anyway to solve?

I also converted it to a track and that transferred fine. My experience with tracks seems to be pretty hit or miss. Sometimes, I can navigate similar to a route. The map follows along etc. Sometimes, the track shows up, but the map doesn't follow and I need to constantly move the map myself. I blame user error. What am I doing wrong?

One other thing- on my old Zumo I could import a route. If I was miles away when starting the route, it would ask if I wanted to navigate to the beginning. Once arriving at the start point, it would switch into the real route. Is there a setting to make Montana do that, or does it just not do it?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #9638
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
If Garmin makes any change to the Track Manager, they might as well do it right. Enable all would be of no use to me but as I mentioned, disable all would be handy. And we need at least some way to differentiate if a track is visible or not from the Track Manager itself.
The irony is that they call it Track Manager. More like Track List. There are no management functions.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #9639
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
The irony is that they call it Track Manager. More like Track List. There are no management functions.
There are management functions but not from the list view. You need to go into each track itself to archive, delete or enable visibility on the map, etc. That's the biggest complaint.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #9640
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
My experience with tracks seems to be pretty hit or miss. Sometimes, I can navigate similar to a route. The map follows along etc. Sometimes, the track shows up, but the map doesn't follow and I need to constantly move the map myself. I blame user error. What am I doing wrong?
When the map's not moving along with your changes of position, perhaps you've just clicked on "Track Manager\View Map" which only shows you the track. It's not the same as navigating it.

If you go to "Where To/Tracks" you'll be truly navigating it. I prefer not to do that, but rather, just go to Track Manager and enable "Show on Map".
Old 10-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #9641
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Crap... I'm at the chalet and I'll return home at the end of this long weekend (It's thanksgiving in Cannuckistan) to a dead VFR: I left in a hurry in my Jeep Friday afternoon -- couldn't take the bike because my steering head bearings are shot -- and I left the Montana plugged in, connected straight to the battery...

Unfortunately, this won't answer the question "How long does it take for the Montana to drain a battery?"...
Corbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #9642
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/sports-imp...drainCalc.html

Assuming a 1W draw for the Montana (though it's probably only 1/2 that), 16 Amp/Hours for the battery (avg. spec for a MC battery), and a full charge, 80 hours.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #9643
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/sports-imp...drainCalc.html

Assuming a 1W draw for the Montana (though it's probably only 1/2 that), 16 Amp/Hours for the battery (avg. spec for a MC battery), and a full charge, 80 hours.
Probably more like 6W, i.e. 1/2A @ 12VDC = 6W. Could be more, I'll measure when I get a chance.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #9644
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbeau View Post
and I left the Montana plugged in, connected straight to the battery...
I don't understand. How could you leave your Montana at home?
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #9645
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbeau View Post

Unfortunately, this won't answer the question "How long does it take for the Montana to drain a battery?"...
If logging is on your active log will show the last time it recorded a track point. Depending on how it's setup it may give you a glimmer of when it turned off. I keep mine set to 1pt/sec so it definitely lets me know when it shuts off...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote