ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #9871
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I too have come to the conclusion that the Montana is a worthwhile purchase. It does have a very steep learning curve for the hard core user. I think that is why there are so many redundant questions of "how do I...." and with the work a rounds, if not done correctly can lead to unexpected results. There are lots of opportunity for corrupted data to occur and that alone can cause problems. Probably the first thing to do once you get things setup as you like is to backup everything and be ready to dump it and reload. Once you have that down, you can experiment with the suggested work a rounds and really make a good tool out of it. I have not bitten yet but probably will.

Thank you to all who take the time to really learn and are not too busy to help another user. I'd like to see things stay on a positive. Lets make it better...

Steve
Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #9872
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveloomis View Post
I too have come to the conclusion that the Montana is a worthwhile purchase. It does have a very steep learning curve for the hard core user. I think that is why there are so many redundant questions of "how do I...." and with the work a rounds, if not done correctly can lead to unexpected results. There are lots of opportunity for corrupted data to occur and that alone can cause problems. Probably the first thing to do once you get things setup as you like is to backup everything and be ready to dump it and reload. Once you have that down, you can experiment with the suggested work a rounds and really make a good tool out of it. I have not bitten yet but probably will.

Thank you to all who take the time to really learn and are not too busy to help another user. I'd like to see things stay on a positive. Lets make it better...

Steve
i am a gps noob...i have had a old nuvi for only about a year and only use it in the car.This thread delights and confuses me all at the same time.The learning curve intimidates me,the "how do I " intimidates me,The hating really adds to the intimidation,the "pollyana" really help me to actually go out and buy the unit.
The single biggest obstacle that remains is that living in a faraway backwater i worry the the actual physical stock of units here must be older units..As above thanks to the regular helpers here.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #9873
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
There are lots of opportunity for corrupted data to occur and that alone can cause problems. Probably the first thing to do once you get things setup as you like is to backup everything and be ready to dump it and reload. Once you have that down, you can experiment with the suggested work a rounds and really make a good tool out of it. I have not bitten yet but probably will.
What are these "opportunities for corrupted data"? I've never experienced any issues of the kind.

Yes, do back up, but the Montana is very reliable and any workarounds are mostly for situations which are fairly few and far between. If you're building Routes, for instance, and you want the gps to follow it exactly, then you do need to be careful to keep the same maps in the planning stage and in the gps when you navigate those routes, but this is the kind of common knowledge you should have before relying too heavily on Routes.

If you use the Montana on a daily basis, in situations where you really don't need to be using it, you'll get a better idea of how it works and how much you can trust the decisions it makes for you. But this is the kind of learning you should do with any gps, not just the Montana.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #9874
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
living in a faraway backwater i worry the the actual physical stock of units here must be older units..As above thanks to the regular helpers here.
There were really only two eras of Montana construction - the early ones often a screen calibration issue but even in the unlikely event that you ended up with one of those, Garmin would still warranty it long after the warranty period was over.

I had one of the early ones and when it developed the issue in the end of the second year of ownership, 11 months after my warranty expired, Garmin exchanged it for a new one, with very little persuasion on my part.

Garmin did stop production for a month while they worked to solve the problem and they weren't shipping any out in that time frame. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an older one.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #9875
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There were really only two eras of Montana construction - the early ones often a screen calibration issue but even in the unlikely event that you ended up with one of those, Garmin would still warranty it long after the warranty period was over.

I had one of the early ones and when it developed the issue in the end of the second year of ownership, 11 months after my warranty expired, Garmin exchanged it for a new one, with very little persuasion on my part.

Garmin did stop production for a month while they worked to solve the problem and they weren't shipping any out in that time frame. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an older one.
is there a serial no break for new vs old?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #9876
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of but there might be something about it in the Wiki.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #9877
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Back when the folks on this list found the problem, many people chimed in with serial numbers and I recall some kind of break. I bought mine during that time frame, and I did have an idea what number to look for so I made sure I got a new one (besides, back then they were so hot you had to find when the store received a new batch and go pick one up. I got mine at Cabelas, but that was because I had Cabelas bucks to pay for it.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #9878
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I was trail riding with the Montana on my bike recently. It was cold but not super cold. Maybe somewhere around freezing. It was snowing rather than raining at higher elevation. The unit had been out in the rain for several hours that ranged from drizzle to downpour to snowing. My Montana would not respond to touch screen input when I was in the coldest high altitude locations. When I went down to a lower warmer elevation (back into the rain) , it worked fine again. I have the Screen protector on there that came with the mount with power and speaker cords.

Is this a sign of the older units with bad touch screens? Anyone seen similar behavior?

I imagine I will use it in much colder conditions in the future.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #9879
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Is this a sign of the older units with bad touch screens? Anyone seen similar behavior?
No, that's not the issue the early ones had. The problem was one of screen calibration, or lack of. You'd click on the screen and it would register 1/2 an inch away, and if you tried to calibrate the screen, it would fail at that.

The cold does have an effect on the touch screen. Did you have the gps powered, with the backlight on at the time? That tends to keep it a little warmer, but if it's really cold you'll see the problem you describe.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #9880
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The cold does have an effect on the touch screen. Did you have the gps powered, with the backlight on at the time? That tends to keep it a little warmer, but if it's really cold you'll see the problem you describe.
I did have the backlight turned up to the max. I was hoping having it on and the heat generated from whatever charging was going on with the battery would help warm things up.

Quick thoughts on the Montana.

I like the Montana. I do not trust it (or any other unit) to "route" me over roads so I don't use it for that. I do not have any current maps. Mine are all old or free so they can't be trusted. I do use it for "Direct" (waypoint to waypoint) routing and it works great for that. I wish it could handle more that 250 points in a "direct" route. It also has a very nice viewable screen. Since the screen is so big, you can have it zoomed to a level where you can see more detail than on a comparable unit with a smaller screen. I do wish it had buttons instead of a touch screen interface. It would be much easier to operate while under way on a dirt road or trail. The profiles are really nice. It is also much easier to change maps in it than other Garmin units I have. Rather than selecting or unselecting a bunch of individual tiles on a map that may or may not be under or on top of the map you want to see, you just enable or disable a whole map. It would be nice if you could turn on or off tracks in a similar manner. I like being able to manipulate the info (tracks, waypoints, routes) from Basecamp while the unit is plugged in rather than having to delete the info from the unit's internal menus like you have to do with the 60csx or eTrex. The rugged mount and power setup on the Montana is one of its greatest parts. No unplugging cables when you take it out. I still have not succeeded in knocking the unit out of the mount even with some rather hard crashes. I had not noticed this issue with the unit pointing the wrong way when you stop at an intersection. I am sure it is happening but every unit I have owned has done that so I make sure to move a bit in the direction I think I should be going and then check to see if I am going the direction I expect on the screen before I take off at full speed. I do like how you can just push on the N indicator and it will switch to N up and then if you push it again, it switches to track up. It would be nice if I could display 2 or 3 data fields on the screen rather than 4. I figured out a good way around that by putting my 60csx loaded up with all the same info on another RAM mount and putting it on Data Fields and setting it up to show me what I want to see. Plus then I have a spare unit in case the Montana decides to freeze up because it is too cold or has some dirt on the screen. I know that when my Montana was hosed because of the dirt thing and I was using the 60csx to navigate at the end of our first day in Nevada this summer, I was really missing the Montana. I could hardly see the map on the 60csx! I was so happy to get it working again that night! I have not run into the track disappearing thing. I save my track every night and then clear it. Maybe that is why?

Here is how I had it set up in NV.

Later I changed the 60csx to display these fields. I had the routes set up to go from one gas station to the next so the Distance to Dest is to the next gas (by Direct routing so it was not perfectly accurate).

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #9881
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
As to corrupted data, I've read about it here and how you go thru a procedure to remove one map at a time and reboot. The corrupted data is in the form of an uploaded map....
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #9882
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
[QUOTE=MasterMarine;22688917]I do wish it had buttons instead of a touch screen interface. It would be much easier to operate while under way on a dirt road or trail.... It is also much easier to change maps in it than other Garmin units I have. Rather than selecting or unselecting a bunch of individual tiles on a map that may or may not be under or on top of the map you want to see, you just enable or disable a whole map./QUOTE]

Agree, Garmin should do what they did on the Oregon 6XX by including 2 buttons, the function of which can be programed. 2 buttons each programmable for short and long hold would be 4 functions.

MasterMarine with the 60 (not sure of eTrex) once you are at the page with the individual map tiles press menu one more time and you can show/hide by map product.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #9883
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
As to corrupted data, I've read about it here and how you go thru a procedure to remove one map at a time and reboot. The corrupted data is in the form of an uploaded map....
That probably will never happen to most people.

Reading about that kind of problem is useful, except it tends to give the erroneous impression that it happens often, which is not the case.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 05:36 AM
Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #9884
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Just picked up a Montana and have been comparing it to my gpsmap x7x's
cons with the Montana vs x7x's:
can't search for poi's along route
can't hide contour lines
can't track back
no XM option
can't edit imported routes
no buttons
can't turn off recalc

pros:
memory
faster processor
profiles
touchscreen
cheap powered mount
barometer
way more customizable
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #9885
jrsue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Just picked up a Montana and have been comparing it to my gpsmap x7x's
cons with the Montana vs x7x's:
can't search for poi's along route
can't hide contour lines
can't track back
no XM option
can't edit imported routes
no buttons
can't turn off recalc

pros:
memory
faster processor
profiles
touchscreen
cheap powered mount
barometer
way more customizable
Yes I agree with most of that. For me the Touch screen is by far the biggest Con. However the improvement (vs 376) on Sat reception is enough to tip favor to the Montana.

I ride trails alot, and much of it is under heavy tree cover and steep hills. The older 276/376 receivers frequently will loose their fix and until you find a break in the cover you are left with nothing but a blinking ?. I used to have to keep my 60csx mounted up, just so I could maintain a continuous track for downloading after a ride . So far the Montana has yet to loose its fix in these situations so for me this is a huge improvement.

The touchscreen however is quit fiddly compared to dedicated buttons and a rocker switch, But I will learn to live with it.
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote