ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #9991
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
OK, I can live with only loading the local Topo maps needed for any particular ride.

But I believe I should be able to load the entire CN maps to the device itself or the Sd card. Pretty sure that's what I had on the original unit.
I certainly dont recall having to select the individual CN maps and send them to the Montana.

In fact the first thing I did when I bought the original Montana was install CN.

My gut tells me that I need to do a hard reset on the current unit, install the CN maps before anything else and I will be good to go.
You can send the entire CN to the Montana or uSd card. I have a full CN map on my Montana uSD card. You may need to contact Garmin to get the license transferred to the new device. Last time my Montana was replaced, they transferred all licenses automatically.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #9992
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
When I have transfered Direct Routes from Base Camp to my Montana, they could only have 250 points. Any more past that would be missing in the Montana.

Are you sure about "unlimited" points transfering from MapSource to a Montana for a Direct Route?
I used to limit points to 250 in Direct Routes as that was my 60CSx limit, but when I first got my Montana 2 years ago, I couldn't get a clear answer on what was the max point so I experimented. I guess they weren't "real" routes as I justed created lots of way points and copied them into a route, tested, and then copied more. At 5000 points I lost interest, but they definitely loaded and displayed in the Montana - no errors.

In reality, I've never exceeded 250 points in a genuine off-road route so it isn't really an issue for me. On multi-day rides I always create a route for each day and typically it'll be in the 100-150 point range. On Club rides, I actually create routes with 30 or less points in case someone is still using a very old GPS, and then have about 5 sequential routes for the full ride.

I've never tested 'max point' route uploads in BaseCamp.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #9993
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I used to limit points to 250 in Direct Routes as that was my 60CSx limit, but when I first got my Montana 2 years ago, I couldn't get a clear answer on what was the max point so I experimented. I guess they weren't "real" routes as I justed created lots of way points and copied them into a route, tested, and then copied more. At 5000 points I lost interest, but they definitely loaded and displayed in the Montana - no errors.

In reality, I've never exceeded 250 points in a genuine off-road route so it isn't really an issue for me. On multi-day rides I always create a route for each day and typically it'll be in the 100-150 point range. On Club rides, I actually create routes with 30 or less points in case someone is still using a very old GPS, and then have about 5 sequential routes for the full ride.

I've never tested 'max point' route uploads in BaseCamp.

Bob
Either I don't understand what you are suggesting or we have very different Montana's.

My Montana can handle Along-road Routes with a MAX of 50 via points(stops/waypoints).

My Montana can handle Direct Routes with a MAX of 250 via points (stops/waypoints).

In either case, the route is truncated at the MAX point limit.

Could you please post a GPX file with examples of Route's that have these "very large numbers" of points in them?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #9994
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Either I don't understand what you are suggesting or we have very different Montana's.

My Montana can handle Along-road Routes with a MAX of 50 via points(stops/waypoints).

My Montana can handle Direct Routes with a MAX of 250 via points (stops/waypoints).

Could you please post a GPX file with examples of Route's that have these "very large numbers" of points in them?
I think you understand what I'm saying. I created several test routes when I first got the Montana and started with a 250 point route, then a 500, then a 1000, etc and they all transferred from Mapsource without any reported error. Usually you would get a "Truncated" error with the 60CSx if there were too many points.

The large routes would appear in the Route list and would load, press "Go" and they would display. I never attempted to follow them as they were just a random collection of meaningless waypoints, but they certainly looked OK on the screen.

This was long ago and I never saw any point in keeping the files. I've now sold my Montana in anticipation of getting a Monterra so I can't repeat the exercise.

As I said above, I've never needed more than 250 points so it's hardly worth disputing. Until, or if, I get access to another Montana I'll withdraw my statement that the (i.e. my) Montana can handle 5000 point Direct routes

Bob
Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #9995
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
CN on Montana exchange unit

"You can send the entire CN to the Montana or uSd card. I have a full CN map on my Montana uSD card. You may need to contact Garmin to get the license transferred to the new device. Last time my Montana was replaced, they transferred all licenses automatically. "

Yup, I have the entire CN on the uSd card.
I can see it in Windows Explorer when I have the unit attached to the coomputer.
BUT
On the unit CN does not appear! Under setup on the Maps tab the CN is not present to enable.

Thus my gut feel that something is scrwed up and I should do a hard reset and start all over.

I have installed CN using Garmin Express and Map Install at least 6 times. The result is always "success".

The last time I walked thorugh this with Garmin they had me delete all the .img files from the uSd card, they sent me a file that was the serial number of my unit with a .gma extension.

Had me re-install the maps using Map Install.
Result of the re-install was success.

Any help appreciated.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #9996
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
"You can send the entire CN to the Montana or uSd card. I have a full CN map on my Montana uSD card. You may need to contact Garmin to get the license transferred to the new device. Last time my Montana was replaced, they transferred all licenses automatically. "

Yup, I have the entire CN on the uSd card.
I can see it in Windows Explorer when I have the unit attached to the coomputer.
BUT
On the unit CN does not appear! Under setup on the Maps tab the CN is not present to enable.

Thus my gut feel that something is scrwed up and I should do a hard reset and start all over.

I have installed CN using Garmin Express and Map Install at least 6 times. The result is always "success".

The last time I walked thorugh this with Garmin they had me delete all the .img files from the uSd card, they sent me a file that was the serial number of my unit with a .gma extension.

Had me re-install the maps using Map Install.
Result of the re-install was success.

Any help appreciated.
What other maps are installed? Is CNNA a .img file? If so is it in the correct folder?
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #9997
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Cant see CN on Montana

"What other maps are installed? Is CNNA a .img file? If so is it in the correct folder?"

Currently traveling.
Will check when I get home.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #9998
BobM
DualSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
... My Montana can handle Direct Routes with a MAX of 250 via points (stops/waypoints).

I was at our bike club meeting last night and had access to a Montana 600. I made a 307 "point" direct route in Mapsource and transferred it to the Montana with the Mapsource Send To Device button. There was a File Transferred Successfully message, and the file was on the mSD card as Route.gpx. It was accessible in the Route Planner and in the Edit Mode I manually counted all 307 "points". When I used Where To and Routes, I selected the Route, pressed Go, selected Direct and it loaded with no errors. I didn't scroll the map to see if all 307 points were being used.

What is a "point"? I used the Mapsource Routing Tool so they aren't "real" waypoints. I didn't click and "rubber-band" the route, so they probably aren't Shaping Points. Mapsource didn't produce any Waypoints so I'm guessing they may be Via Points.

Does this confirm or disprove the "250 xxxpoints" max limit?

Bob
Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #9999
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I was at our bike club meeting last night and had access to a Montana 600. I made a 307 "point" direct route in Mapsource and transferred it to the Montana with the Mapsource Send To Device button. There was a File Transferred Successfully message, and the file was on the mSD card as Route.gpx. It was accessible in the Route Planner and in the Edit Mode I manually counted all 307 "points". When I used Where To and Routes, I selected the Route, pressed Go, selected Direct and it loaded with no errors. I didn't scroll the map to see if all 307 points were being used.

What is a "point"? I used the Mapsource Routing Tool so they aren't "real" waypoints. I didn't click and "rubber-band" the route, so they probably aren't Shaping Points. Mapsource didn't produce any Waypoints so I'm guessing they may be Via Points.

Does this confirm or disprove the "250 xxxpoints" max limit?

Bob
Since you didn't inspect the active route your efforts don't "prove" anything other than what we already discussed - which is that you can send anything to the Montana and it will load and show in the Route Planner. But, if you actually looked at the Active Route you would see that it is truncated at the 250th point.

The points you created with MapSource are indeed Via Points when you send them to the Montana.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #10000
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

CN on Refurbished Montana

CNNA is an img file in the Garmin folder on the uSd card.

See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
What other maps are installed? Is CNNA a .img file? If so is it in the correct folder?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #10001
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Bacjup and restore profiles

I am about to perform a hard reset on my Montana.
Want to be sure I can restore my profiles.

Can someone tell me the specific and detailed instructions or point me to a link with instructions please?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #10002
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,080
Quote:
CNNA is an img file in the Garmin folder on the uSd card.

See below
Looks to me like you have too many map segments, considering how many img files you have. Just guessing, but you should run Javawa Device Manager to find out for sure.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #10003
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

A bit more explanation

"too many map segments, considering how many img files you have."

Can you give me a bit more explanation?

I just want CN on the Garmin.

I am more than happy to delete all the Topos.

Last time I deleted all the img files from the uSd card and then ran Map Install. The result is what you see.

I will try JaVaWa.

Reeeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy getting frustrated with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Looks to me like you have too many map segments, considering how many img files you have. Just guessing, but you should run Javawa Device Manager to find out for sure.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #10004
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

I'm guessing you're right. Just change a couple of the files from .img to something else.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #10005
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

"Just change a couple of the files from .img to something else. "

That works!!!!

Thanks

I will delete all the other .img files.

Just load the local Topo maps as needed / when needed.

One final question:

Is it possible to have CNNA for all of USA
AND
Topo 100k for all of USA loaded on the uSd card?

Pretty sure this is what I had on my original Montana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I'm guessing you're right. Just change a couple of the files from .img to something else.