ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #10156
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Altimeter, Barometer, eCompass
Ah. There is a compass of some sort under apps.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #10157
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
It's just your GPS heading. It isn't an electronic Compass (which can be used with the GPS turned off) like in the handhelds.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #10158
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Cool2 Oh, yeah!

Whoops. I hard wired the Montana cradle to my R100GS a couple of months ago. I realized that this was a bad idea the other day when I wanted to use the Montana on my G450X. I'm glad the cradle and RAM ball isn't terribly expensive. I've ordered a second one. And I knew about Embeedee's suggestion about using a quick connect power plug! Oh, well. I don't know what I was thinking. I've got the SAE connector sitting up there at the handle bars, too.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #10159
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post

Gorgeous bike, but shouldn't you be using an Abacus for period authenticity?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #10160
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #10161
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
oi! they had digital calculators then!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #10162
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,013
Quote:

I was thinking a roll chart holder and a pocket watch holder (old time Enduro time keeping gear)
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #10163
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Hi Guys,

(please scroll to the bottom for my questions, turns out there's really only 1 but I couldn't help adding context)

I think I've settled on the Montana as my first real GPS device. What an overwhelming, far from straight forward process that was.

I rented an R1200GS in Portugal a few months back and had a blast with my wife, we did about 1000 miles, and found some fantastic places to ride out of pure luck really. It wasn't even really meant to be a "motorcycle" trip, we just rented one because we thought it'd be more fun than a car to get from place to place. We ended up riding along the Portugal coast then into the mountains of southern Spain, I had no idea how awesome Ronda for adventure riders. We're hooked.

To help out on the trip, I ended up getting an international data plan for my Galaxy Note 2, a waterproof handlebar mounted case, and a charger. This was okay, except I was using google maps for navigation, which cant add waypoints so I was constantly pulling over to create new directions. The phone also doesn't get that bright in the sun, especially behind the waterproof plastic cover. Its nearly impossible to use with gloves on, even thin summer ones. It overheats when its over 80 degrees outside and charging. I could only find a 1A charger for BMW bikes which is not good enough in the daylight with screen showing bright colors at its highest brightness. Etc, etc, you get the point.

I don't have an adventure bike yet but I do currently do a lot of enduro/dual-sport riding on my 450. It's a honda motocross bike (crf450r) that I completely converted for enduro. I added an electrical system and lights and had it plated for the small amount of time I need to spend on roads to get from place to place.

So I've learned a bit from my portugal/spain experience and ended up developing a list of features that I want in a GPS device that can handle both types of riding (off-road oriented dual-sport and more on-road oriented adventure riding) before I set out to do some research on which to get. It turns out my list is very similar to DRTBYK's list. Thanks for all the articles by the way on your website, these were very imformative! I can't believe how weak the offerings are, every device has some sort of compromise it seems.

Since Hercules just dumped around 2 feet of snow here, I'm not going to ride my dirtbike for a while but I'd like to start planning a big trip this summer for when I get an adventure bike (probably the new KTM 1190 Adventure R). I downloaded the basecamp software but there doesn't seem like there's much to do without a device. Can I purchase maps on Garmins website and use them in Basecamp without owning a device yet? I would just go out and buy one, but I don't really need anything until the early summer, and who knows, I may decide I want something else by then. However, I would really like to start planning a trip now. I was able to easily load all my google MyTracks files into basecamp. I bet it would be easy to edit those and load them back into MyTracks until I get something. So I could probably wait until I actually get an adventure bike before purchasing.

BTW, DRTBYK, you seem to always mention you list of "recommended" devices for dual-sport/adventure riding. Where is that list?!?!

In summary:

1. Can I purchase maps on Garmins website and use them in Basecamp without owning a device yet?

2. Where is DRTBYK's recommended list of GPS devices?!?!

Thanks,
P
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #10164
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad View Post
Hi Guys,

(please scroll to the bottom for my questions, turns out there's really only 1 but I couldn't help adding context)

BTW, DRTBYK, you seem to always mention you list of "recommended" devices for dual-sport/adventure riding. Where is that list?!?!

In summary:

1. Can I purchase maps on Garmins website and use them in Basecamp without owning a device yet?

2. Where is DRTBYK's recommended list of GPS devices?!?!

Thanks,
P
1. Depends upon the maps you want to purchase. Garmin "locks" most routable maps to a single device (GPS). The exception being US Topo 24K regional maps (they're expensive). You need to unlock the map in order to see it's high definition. **Unless you purchase maps on a SD Card - which in most cases I don't recommend.

2. Man, and all these years I thought I could skate by without publishing a "list" It's actually buried on the GlobeRiders web site but I haven't updated it the past year - which I now have to do.
  • GPSMAP 276, 376, 478 or EU verions
  • zumo 660/665
  • Montana 600 Series (600, 650, 650t & yes, even the camo)
  • Monterra (conditionally - what's the condition you might ask? You have to know ALL of its shortcomings.)
  • BMW Motorrad Nav-IV, Nav-V

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #10165
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
1. Depends upon the maps you want to purchase. Garmin "locks" most routable maps to a single device (GPS). The exception being US Topo 24K regional maps (they're expensive). You need to unlock the map in order to see it's high definition. **Unless you purchase maps on a SD Card - which in most cases I don't recommend.

2. Man, and all these years I thought I could skate by without publishing a "list" It's actually buried on the GlobeRiders web site but I haven't updated it the past year - which I now have to do.
  • GPSMAP 276, 376, 478 or EU verions
  • zumo 660/665
  • Montana 600 Series (600, 650, 650t & yes, even the camo)
  • Monterra (conditionally - what's the condition you might ask? You have to know ALL of its shortcomings.)
  • BMW Motorrad Nav-IV, Nav-V
1. I'm actually most interested in the 24k topo map for my dirtbike. We're always looking for crazy hill climbs in the woods, and having the ability to do turn by turn for far away places is nice. This, combined with the Birdseye satellite imagery to help us find existing trails/open areas should provide everything I need. For the adventure trip, I can added the 24k topo for the area that I need (eastern Canada, we're thinking). So you are saying, if I buy the downloadable 24k TOPO maps, I can use them in basecamp without a device? What about the Satellite images?

Also, along these lines, if I add multiple 24k topo maps that are adjacent to each other, can I make routeable directions that cross one another?

2. If I didn't bore you with my last post, would you agree with me on the Montana being the best fit for what I need? For the dirtbike btw, I don't have enough electrical oomph to charge a GPS, so being able to carry extra (rechargeable) AA batteries for longer days seems pretty awesome.

I have another question, a little off topic from the Montana. How good (resolution and up-to-date) are the Birdseye satellite images for the Northeast US (Massachusetts more specifically) compared to Google? We have found all of our favorite riding areas by actually seeing them on google maps.
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #10166
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrad View Post
1. I'm actually most interested in the 24k topo map for my dirtbike.
I run the Garmin city streets, than installed the Free topomaps from GPSFileDepot. Sure they don't route, but when you have both maps turned on, the city street map routes, and the topo map layers the ground contour on top of the garmin maps. I have a shortcut to Toggle the topo maps on and off. Works pretty good.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #10167
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Cool2 No respect!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I was thinking a roll chart holder and a pocket watch holder (old time Enduro time keeping gear)
Simpler times. I traded a 2013 F800GS for this old Airhead.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #10168
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
Simpler times. I traded a 2013 F800GS for this old Airhead.
And I just traded a 2010 F800gs for a new Wasser Head
Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #10169
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I run the Garmin city streets, than installed the Free topomaps from GPSFileDepot. Sure they don't route, but when you have both maps turned on, the city street map routes, and the topo map layers the ground contour on top of the garmin maps. I have a shortcut to Toggle the topo maps on and off. Works pretty good.
I have City Nav on my Montana 650 and have tried to load a few of the GPSFileDepot topo maps. I have them successfully downloaded but I can't open them in Basecamp. I can see them in the hard drive directory but Basecamp doesn't see them. I read on the map page that the 64 bit installer on Windows 7 presents a problem and one needs to load the 32 bit version.

Did you have any issues with the downloads you had to work through?
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #10170
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
Did you have any issues with the downloads you had to work through?
None at all. I downloaded the files from GPSFileDepot, ran each one, and they showed up in BC immediately. Then I installed them to the Montana, archived the .img files back to the hard disk, and I swap them in and out occasionally. Then I usually delete the downloaded executables once I see and check out the map.

Now, I did all this well BEFORE the latest 4.2.5 release....YMMV.

Using Win 7.