ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #10276
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
I've got broken ones that I would gladly pay the refurb charge.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #10277
True North
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My Montana says it loses external power when in my amp rugged mount? The mount is on my snowmobile and does shake a bit but the Montana works fine on Battery. Any idea why it loses external power? I replaced the rugged mount but that didn't help.
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #10278
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
My Montana says it loses external power when in my amp rugged mount? The mount is on my snowmobile and does shake a bit but the Montana works fine on Battery. Any idea why it loses external power? I replaced the rugged mount but that didn't help.
Battery vibration would be the first guess...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #10279
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
You sure you have it wired in correctly?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #10280
True North
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I thought about the battery, but it works fine if I remove the fuse and run just on the battery. Trouble is in our cold temps the battery doesn't last long. I think I have it wired right, red to positive and black to neg.
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #10281
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Take the rechargeable battery out and replace it with lithium double A's..

then see if it still loses external power...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #10282
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,970
Question

...I have a similar problem. Have the rugged mount on my dualsport and it keeps popping up with the screen telling me it's detecting the wrong type of battery in use.
The mount is hardwired.
I tried all the different settings for what sort of battery but still no luck...
I even tried putting a sticker over the contacts so it would run off the AA's and same same.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #10283
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
I thought about the battery, but it works fine if I remove the fuse and run just on the battery. Trouble is in our cold temps the battery doesn't last long. I think I have it wired right, red to positive and black to neg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...I have a similar problem. Have the rugged mount on my dualsport and it keeps popping up with the screen telling me it's detecting the wrong type of battery in use.
The mount is hardwired.
I tried all the different settings for what sort of battery but still no luck...
I even tried putting a sticker over the contacts so it would run off the AA's and same same.
Please try this and report result:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
Take the rechargeable battery out and replace it with lithium double A's..

then see if it still loses external power...
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #10284
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,970
O.K., will do. But I think it has Lithium AA's already.
I was reading elsewhere here that pulling batteries out and running directly off the hardwire might work. Never thought of this angle ...

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 01:17 PM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #10285
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
O.K., will do. But I think it has Lithium AA's already.
I was reading elsewhere here that pulling batteries out and running directly off the hardwire might work. Never thought of this angle ...
If you have no battery, it wil require a complete restart everytime you turn off the snowmobile..or whatever is sending the power to the mount...
Double A's will keep the Montana from powering down and will also get rid of the "wrong battery message"
which is all because the rechargable battery will not stay tight enough to avoid losing contact...
If you have a motorcycle or snowmobile that vibrates a lot, or you ride off-road, the stock battery is more trouble that it's worth...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #10286
JossaXR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Earplugs beteende the battery and the batterydoor fix the problem

skickat från min Xperia Z1
My Pictures
JossaXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #10287
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Help please....

I have a strange problem loading more than one OSM map onto my Montana 600.

From what I understand you can have as many .img map files in the /Garmin directory on an SD card.

OK, so I have loaded four OSM map files onto the SD card and renamed each of the files.

I can see each of the files in the Setup - Map option on the Montana, all are enabled.

I can see all the details for one of the maps, roads, contour lines etc. BUT... I can only see the contour lines for any of the other maps????

If I remove the map file that is working then one of the other map files works correctly, I can see the roads etc, but the others remaining only display the contour lines.....

Anyone offer any help?? Please???

I've tried editing the map name with a Hex editor, that doesn't help.

I've tried copying the .img file for the region directly to the SD card and also tried using Basecamp to transfer the map to the SD card, same difference.....

Anyone??

Nick.
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #10288
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 680
Just to echo the sentiments of prior Montana noobs here and shout out a big thanks to them for their questions and to the expert advisors here without whom I would not have successfully loaded City Nav in just 2 attempts.

Garmin needs improvement on intuitive end-user instruction
(I know,205'd)

Tip to new owners (also 205'd): read, search this and other threads/forums/ links, then search and read some more.

Also: What's a POI ?

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #10289
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
....From what I understand you can have as many .img map files in the /Garmin directory on an SD card....

There is limit to the number of map segments. Something like 4000 so I'm not sure if you're running up against that.

I've found that if I create .img files that contain the same map segment bad things happen. E.g. if I create an "AZ-24K.img" that has only the Arizona portions of SW US 24K and I create an "NM-24K.img" for New Mexico but have segments from 24K in both .img's, I get weirdness. I'm not sure if you're seeing that but the javawawa or whatever it is finds those problems.

I'm sure there are others in the thread that will add to (or correct) that stuff...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #10290
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
There is limit to the number of map segments. Something like 4000 so I'm not sure if you're running up against that.

I've found that if I create .img files that contain the same map segment bad things happen. E.g. if I create an "AZ-24K.img" that has only the Arizona portions of SW US 24K and I create an "NM-24K.img" for New Mexico but have segments from 24K in both .img's, I get weirdness. I'm not sure if you're seeing that but the javawawa or whatever it is finds those problems.

I'm sure there are others in the thread that will add to (or correct) that stuff...
Ok, thanks for info about having the same segments in different maps, wasn't aware if that and will check it.

I was aware of the 4000 segment limit, I doubt I have anymore than 4000 segments in any of the .img's.

Thanks,

Nick.
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote