ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #10351
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Regardless, firmware v5.60 has been withdrawn from the Garmin servers today to work out some critical issues.
Well, well, imagine that!

"Give me 5.40 or give me death"
Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #10352
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Hello, hope you are well.

I wonder if someone could advise me on something for me please.

I have downloaded someone else's .GPX fie for a route across Europe.

If I open it in Basecamp it is set to Motorcycle Profile by default and looks right (As in the route appears to me as I think the person intended it to be)

If I just recalculate the route using the Motorcycle Profile it extends the route by about 60 miles to avoid a Swiss Alpine pass that's part of the route.

If I upload to the Montana after this recalculation then the route is also extended by the same and follows what Basecamp has calculated.

I notice that if I edit the Motorcycle Profile in Basecamp and then un-tick the road type avoidance of "Date and Time Closures" then recalculate, the route changes back to go over the Alpine Pass. Which is great.

Again if I upload to the Montana after this second recalculation, then the route also goes over the Alpine Pass and is 60 miles shorter. This is great because this is what I would like.

But if I then change the activity profile to Direct Routing, as I might like to edit the route on the trip, then upload to the Montana, the Montana calculates the route via an even longer way than just with "Date and Time Closures" enabled. Its actually about 80 miles longer.

My Montana is set in Motorcycle Activity routing and I know will be using slightly later CN Europe maps that the person who designed the route originally. I have got "Lock on Road" enabled and have no items selected to avoid.

So it seems that the Montana will route fine if I calculate the route in Basecamp as the Motorcycling activity with "Date and Time Closures" disabled, but does the Montana have an option in its routing options somewhere else to choses weather to avoid "Date and Time Closure" road types?

I think my resolve will be to upload the route to the Montana in Motorcycle profile with "Date and Time Closure" disabled in the profile and just not have the option of editing the route on the Montana.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #10353
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterD View Post
I think my resolve will be to upload the route to the Montana in Motorcycle profile with "Date and Time Closure" disabled in the profile and just not have the option of editing the route on the Montana.
There's more than one way to skin a cat. I don't know what the best answer to your problem would be, but here's a couple of ideas:
  • Why not create multiple routes with different options, load them all to the Montana, and see which works best for you when you're actually navigating the route?
  • Also, make Tracks of the various Routes in Basecamp and set the appropriate one to "Show On Map".
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #10354
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
  • Also, make Tracks of the various Routes in Basecamp and set the appropriate one to "Show On Map".
Hello,

That's an idea, I should have thought of that.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #10355
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,744
I'm looking for a way to create a shortcut that does a where to, based on a category in the POI data as. An example would be a shortcut that shows me a list of the near by rest stops.. this will save a few clicks and always forget which category rest stops are buried in

So far have not had any luck
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 AM   #10356
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,910
hey guys. I'm subscribed to this thread and the Monterra thread for awhile now.
I'm going to pull the trigger in the next month on either the Montana or Monterra.
those of you that have both or know someone with one, and you have the other, which one should I go for?

also, I am an Apple OS guy (iPhone iPad Mac). so the Android aspect on the Monterra doesn't matter other than the possibility for apps and WIFI.

thanks!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #10357
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
I'm looking for a way to create a shortcut that does a where to, based on a category in the POI data as. An example would be a shortcut that shows me a list of the near by rest stops.. this will save a few clicks and always forget which category rest stops are buried in
What you're calling a Shortcut is actually called a "Where To" in the Montana. It's a kind of pre-built shortcut, so you don't need to create one.

But to add that "Where To" to your screen do the following:

Select Setup\Main Menu

In the "Select an Item to Change" screen there are three ways to start: click the +, or use the right facing arrow at the bottom of the screen to go to your extended dashboard, or select an item to change.

I would add the item on the extended dashboard, myself, as you may want to add more than one, but not have them on your main screen.

Click on + Item Here, and in the next screen select "Where To".

The rest is obvious.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #10358
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
hey guys. I'm subscribed to this thread and the Monterra thread for awhile now.
I'm going to pull the trigger in the next month on either the Montana or Monterra.
those of you that have both or know someone with one, and you have the other, which one should I go for?
For the moment, until the Monterra software is improved dramatically, I say get the Montana for its better map screen legibility, higher map detail when zoomed farther out, shortcuts, Dashboards and a few other things I forget right now.

Oh yeah, the "Where To"s.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 06:21 AM
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #10359
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,744
Laugh

Quote:
What you're calling a Shortcut is actually called a "Where To" in the Montana. It's a kind of pre-built shortcut, so you don't need to create one.

But to add that "Where To" to your screen do the following:

Select Setup\Main Menu

In the "Select an Item to Change" screen there are three ways to start: click the +, or use the right facing arrow at the bottom of the screen to go to your extended dashboard, or select an item to change.

I would add the item on the extended dashboard, myself, as you may want to add more than one, but not have them on your main screen.

Click on + Item Here, and in the next screen select "Where To".

The rest is obvious.
That almost works, but not quite... seems you can only set it for top level categories. I can have one for Auto Services, but not Rest Area which is a subcategory under auto services, so it's really only saving me one click... ah well
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #10360
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
That almost works, but not quite... seems you can only set it for top level categories. I can have one for Auto Services, but not Rest Area which is a subcategory under auto services, so it's really only saving me one click... ah well
Is your "Rest Area" category not the same as what Garmin calls "Facilities"? The icon for "Facilities" is the middle one on this screen cap:

Old 02-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #10361
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
The rest is obvious.
The rest is obvious to people smarter than me.

Thanks robdog for the question and many thanks to Emmbeedee for continuing help on the Montana. This thread is a great way to learn things the Montana does that I hadn't known about.

I had never known that Rest Stops were a POI category. I had wanted such a category, but looking at the menus there was nothing there. Putting Rest Stops under Auto Services is the same as putting restaurants or lodging there. Searching "rest stop" always returned an endlessly spinning circle. The Rest Stop POIs around here are mostly off in the woods on hiking trails (*see edit2); no way to get a car to over half of them where I live. Not that there's anything ADVers can do about this.

QUESTION: Is there no way to search "along current route"? I tried to select closer rest stops by changing the "Search Near" option at the highest level of "Where to?". On the nuvi there was one for "Along current route". (I didn't think it worked all that well on the nuvi, but better than a 360-degree radial search -- many POIs on islands are closer to me than the store I can bicycle to.) Yes the Montana was routing to a town when I tried to select "along current route".

EDIT: I can't find "Facilities" either. Is there a GPS to guide me around the GPS?

*EDIT2: I had selected "rest stops and tourist info". When I go down the auto list farther, there is a simple "rest stops" and the closest one is over 50 miles away. Still no "Facilities".

EDIT3: Are POI categories re-organized with different map versions? I am using a 2012 version of CNNA plus a 2013 version of OSM. I would expect the POIs to be tied closely to map versions.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 08:33 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #10362
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
EDIT: I can't find "Facilities" either. Is there a GPS to guide me around the GPS?

*EDIT2: I had selected "rest stops and tourist info". When I go down the auto list farther, there is a simple "rest stops" and the closest one is over 50 miles away. Still no "Facilities".
"Facilities" is in the "Where To" shortcuts/canned search categories.

Heading out now so help is offline for a while.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #10363
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,997
For along route I have just watched the arrows beside each answer. If arrow points ahead of me it is good.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #10364
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Heading out now so help is offline for a while.
Well! Harumph. The nerve! (OK, you can go.)

I found Facilities. The list for customizing the Main Menu is very similar but not identical to the list of Where To categories. There is no way to get to Facilities from Where To, but you can put it on the Main Menu.

Looks to me like the left hand not knowing what the right hand was programming.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #10365
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
For along route I have just watched the arrows beside each answer. If arrow points ahead of me it is good. Than zoom out and I think they show on map.
I can understand that the arrows help in many places. Around here an arrow west (or the notation "W" by a result) can be on a dead-end on this peninsula or it could be on an island, or it could be on the mainland where I will actually be going. I have to select each item sequentially to see where it is.

The same can happen when riding near freeways. My route can be a long circuit to stay on the more interesting roads and all the POIs along the freeway are not near the route, but are in the correct direction. When any route is less straight, the arrows are less helpful.