ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #10441
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,367
Yeah, been through that site. Will call customer service today to see if there is a way to have them push down the data needed. I have no intention of sending the unit to them when it's just a small amount of files. (Not like I need other languages or the base map to have the unit just work.) Unless someone could push said files down to me.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #10442
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Yeah, been through that site. Will call customer service today to see if there is a way to have them push down the data needed. I have no intention of sending the unit to them when it's just a small amount of files. (Not like I need other languages or the base map to have the unit just work.) Unless someone could push said files down to me.
The Montana wiki has many of the files you seek. The remaining files can be obtained via Garmin Express.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #10443
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
The other day I was changing the order of the list of items in the "Where To" search tool and noticed something I hadn't seen before: the "Trails" element.

"Trails" does not show when I go to "Where To" in normal use, so I guess I don't have any.

Has anyone actually seen what "Trails" are?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #10444
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The other day I was changing the order of the list of items in the "Where To" search tool and noticed something I hadn't seen before: the "Trails" element.

"Trails" does not show when I go to "Where To" in normal use, so I guess I don't have any.

Has anyone actually seen what "Trails" are?

I believe they only appear when using the Active Routing maps Garmin have available for Germany and France at this time.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #10445
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
I think you use that with active routing features on active routing maps and setting the activity to something like MTB or hiking.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #10446
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
The site you refer to Atlas's Montana Wiki and it's worth reminding new users here that it's really a first-stop for Montana Issues - it has everything you need related to a Montana - EXCEPT a backup copy of a new Montana internal memory, possibly for copywrite reasons.

Heres the link: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/

Bob
I looked here but can't find and an example of my problem with my montana. The screen calibration seemed off. I did the recal procedure but it would never complete. It would briefly go to the page shown after completing the calibration but then go back to the calibration screen (where put your finger on the dot in different places on the screen. My screen protector was a little dirty so I decided to remove that to put a new one on. I was hard to get off and pieces of it broke into small pieces. It almost seemed like I was peeling off a portion of the screen itself. Now when I power up it goes the main start screen and I can't select anything. Seems frozen. Any suggestions on what to attempt next? I can still access the folders etc.. when connected to my pc.

Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #10447
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I looked here but can't find and an example of my problem with my montana. The screen calibration seemed off. I did the recal procedure but it would never complete. It would briefly go to the page shown after completing the calibration but then go back to the calibration screen (where put your finger on the dot in different places on the screen. My screen protector was a little dirty so I decided to remove that to put a new one on. I was hard to get off and pieces of it broke into small pieces. It almost seemed like I was peeling off a portion of the screen itself. Now when I power up it goes the main start screen and I can't select anything. Seems frozen. Any suggestions on what to attempt next? I can still access the folders etc.. when connected to my pc.

Thanks
Call Garmin and tell them you have an early Montana that suffers from the "Screen Calibration" issue. I had the same thing happen to mine last summer and Garmin replaced it for me.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 AM   #10448
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I believe they only appear when using the Active Routing maps Garmin have available for Germany and France at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I think you use that with active routing features on active routing maps and setting the activity to something like MTB or hiking.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #10449
Cataract2
Where to?

So, what is this Active Routing that I keep hearing about? Any time I try to look it up I get a page from Garmin in German. Doesn't really help me any as my German is a bit rusty.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #10450
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Call Garmin and tell them you have an early Montana that suffers from the "Screen Calibration" issue. I had the same thing happen to mine last summer and Garmin replaced it for me.
Thanks, I'll call tomorrow. Hope they can help me out.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #10451
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
So, what is this Active Routing that I keep hearing about? Any time I try to look it up I get a page from Garmin in German. Doesn't really help me any as my German is a bit rusty.
Garmin have not released any active routing maps covering any English speaking territories yet :)

Active routing maps contain specific information for each trail that allow the device to choose the best possible route based on activity type. Mountain Bikers may not want to use the same path as Mountaineering users or casual hikers, etc, and vice versa.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #10452
Cataract2
Where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Garmin have not released any active routing maps covering any English speaking territories yet :)

Active routing maps contain specific information for each trail that allow the device to choose the best possible route based on activity type. Mountain Bikers may not want to use the same path as Mountaineering users or casual hikers, etc, and vice versa.
Ah, ok. Wonder why they put it in our units, but fail to put out anything for our areas?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #10453
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Ah, ok. Wonder why they put it in our units, but fail to put out anything for our areas?
Maybe you (or someone else) will want to travel to an area where the mapping data is available. Then, if you did not have the support on your device, you might be asking "Wonder why they didn't include it on our units...."

Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #10454
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
I looked closer at my dust screen I pulled off, compared it to a new one, and it does seem that I've somehow managed to pull off some layer that sits on top of the glass. The adhesion on the dust screen was enough to pull that thin layer off.

Being somewhat familiar with touch screen stuff and even more familiar with TCO (transparent conductive oxides) normally employed in such devices I knew that if I did indeed pull off the TCO container layer, it should be somewhat conductive, unlike the normal dust cover polymer. While I can't make a proper 4-point measurement at home which is normally the way to characterize the conductivity of a thin-film (in ohms/square) I got out my multimeter and did indeed measure a conductive layer on a portion of that layer still stuck to my dust screen.

My montana has not been abused at all but I am guessing somehow that TCO layer cracked so when I pulled off the dust layer it was able to lift one of the cracked edges.

Anyway, end result is no different I guess, need to call Garmin tomorrow but this really seem like a manufacturing defect.

Going out on a short limb and guessing no one has had this problem before. Certainly would explain why I get no response to any touches.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #10455
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Going out on a short limb and guessing no one has had this problem before. Certainly would explain why I get no response to any touches.
I wouldn't make that bet :)

Many users have experienced the same issue.