ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 AM   #10636
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I know the answer is here somewhere....
When converting a route to a track in Basecamp, what number of points is recommended for the filter setting. Trying to thin it down but still want accuracy.
thanks
Have you checked the Wiki?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #10637
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
filtering tracks

I knew about the Montana Wiki but hadn't seen the Basecamp Wiki so thanks for the link. I was just confused about the track point limit and there isn't a clear recommendation when filtering. There's a 10,000 point limit but I couldn't tell if it's per track or a total limit for all tracks in memory. From what I've read it's 10k per track but that seems like a lot more points than necessary.

#500 appears to be the number I was looking for. I looked at some tracks converted by others and this seems to be a good balance of accuracy and memory size for the length of off road day ride I'm doing.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #10638
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I know the answer is here somewhere....
When converting a route to a track in Basecamp, what number of points is recommended for the filter setting. Trying to thin it down but still want accuracy.
thanks
There is no recommended number, it is entirely dependent on the length of your route and the accuracy you desire.

I do this often, as I am mightily sick of the Montana changing my routes, and dealing with map updates screwing up routes, etc.

After converting, I just look at the new track, perhaps on a Topo as well as CNNNA, then decide how much detail I need to stay on it. I check the box saying save original track, set the filter to automatic and set the slider toward fewer points (one mark from left). This will approximately half the number of points.

Ideally, I would like to see around 500 or less, since I don't like huge tracks even though the limit is 10,000 PER track. I'd rather split it into smaller pieces and rename them something meaningful. I can do this because I manage tracks and routes by major trips or by state and rotate them in and out of device memory as needed. Makes finding stuff a lot easier if you only have about two dozen tracks and routes at a time.

If upon inspection at higher zooms the track looks good, I'm done. If not, I might run the filter one more time, but this only reduces it by about 10%.

This works well on any road that is not a goat track and that does show on the map....for that or hiking I might not want to filter at all.

Just my personal MO, it's worked well for years for my type of riding.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #10639
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Ever since we could save to SD I've always just used 1pt/sec. Memory is almost free. If I stitch together a contiguous track that is longer than the silly 10,000pt limit (I don't understand why there is this limit with modern file systems and coding practices, oh well) and I want to put it back in the unit to follow in the future I guess I'll filter it to 10,000pt... but like Rocky TFS I usually save more small [non-contiguous] tracks rather than one great big one so I don't recall running into this.

For stretches of road I just use routes. Although streets and routes is where this unit is pretty crappy so I guess I can see tracks if you're pre-planning your route. I can't recall ever pre-planning the road route and loading it into the unit though. Why not filter it to 10,000? It's not like you'll even put a dent into the SD. I seem to remember there may be some reason it might make sense but it evades me now....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #10640
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

The Montana can't log tracks to SD. None of the modern Garmins can.

For the record.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #10641
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
We can save them there and even the internal is plenty big enough if all you're storing there is trackpoints. I quit putting maps, birds eye, etc. there since the SD is so much less expensive, so much larger and so much faster (at least when outside the unit).
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #10642
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,275
FWIW after perhaps 30,000 kms of use, my Montana hiccoughed the other day for the first time. I'd set a waypoint, which was a street address, to navigate to and found a recently opened freeway built mostly on fresh ground to assist. But, it wasn't on the map, so was getting numerous messages to U turn etc. Hunter Freeway in case you need to know.

I looked down after maybe 20 mins of this and it's screen was blank. So after I left the freeway, I rebooted and all good. Just a hissy fit it seems!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #10643
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
5.70 is working well for me. Only you can decide if the changes listed below are necessary to you.

This is the changelog:

Firmware 5.70:

Added support for additional ActiveRouting cartography
Improved display of marine-specific lines in BlueChart g2 maps
Improved boot time when large amounts of photos are present
Fixed issue retrieving PLSS data in certain TOPO US 24k maps
Fixed possible issue with +/- buttons when using Sight N' Go
Fixed possible issue with the Distance to Destination data field in nuvi mode

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #10644
AugustFalcon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Noticed the time zone change. Had that happen on my Linux box, turns out that Crimea just changed over to Moscow time.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #10645
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
600 vs. 650 vs. 650t

Having just received my hard-earned tax dollars back from Uncle Sam, I can now buy a GPS for my DRZ400. Need to do all the fun things with tracks and waypoints, etc, for both on-road and off-road riding.

I'm looking at new and refurbished models of the 600, 650 and 650t. I'm wondering what the big deal is about having a camera on your GPS if you have something like a GoPro camera already. Is there really a significant use for a camera on a GPS unit besides just snapping photos? If not, the 600 (without the camera) would suit me just fine.

Because I don't want to spend all of my dough in one spot, I'm seriously interested in refurbed models first. Any inmates have experience with refurbed Montanas?

Is an extended warranty, often offered through distributors of refurbished models, a good idea for a refurbed unit, or is it more like extended warranties on cars: likely not to be useful in the long run and you're just tossing good money out the window?

Thanks for the advice, guys!
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #10646
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,454
I use my camera as a photo waypoint.
Say you are out on a ride and see a creek crossing or old homestead just snap a photo done.

To me the advantage is you don't have to label the waypoint.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #10647
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
I use my camera as a photo waypoint.
Say you are out on a ride and see a creek crossing or old homestead just snap a photo done.

To me the advantage is you don't have to label the waypoint.

Fred

I skipped the built in camera (in the GPS) because it would be such a PITA to use. Let alone all the dust that would collect on the lens riding stone/dirt roads
1) remove gloves
2) get out tool to loosen locking screw.
3) remove GPS
4) click button "yes, leave gps on" after the power drops
5) take picture
6) reinstall GPS
7) tighten lock screw
8) put on gloves

you get the idea.

Now I just pull my nikon out of the pocket or tank bag and take the picture.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #10648
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I skipped the built in camera (in the GPS) because it would be such a PITA to use. Let alone all the dust that would collect on the lens riding stone/dirt roads
1) remove gloves
2) get out tool to loosen locking screw.
3) remove GPS
4) click button "yes, leave gps on" after the power drops
5) take picture
6) reinstall GPS
7) tighten lock screw
8) put on gloves

you get the idea.

Now I just pull my nikon out of the pocket or tank bag and take the picture.

Oh, yeah... that would be a PITA to remove the unit and put it back on. Ok, so camera question answered as a "no" for me. Thanks, guys!

For the refurbed units and warranty questions: any feedback on those two points? Refurbed units a good deal and work well? Obviously, this could be a personal preference, but I'd like to see if others have had long term success with the refurbed units working as they're supposed to.
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #10649
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I think that setting is where the camera is least convenient, but I find the camera does not need to be locked on the mount at all times, so it's fairly quick to pop the camera off and take pictures with gloves on.

It's only about $40 more, and it is a waterproof camera, after all

Worth it, imho.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #10650
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
I have the 650 and never use the camera. I tried it a few times dropping waypoints but I can add a way point quickly and prefer to change the icon then so I know what it represents.
Even if you don't have the GPS locked down in the RAM mount, you should at least have the lanyard looped around something just in case. The camera quality for pics is pretty terrible and if it's worth taking a real picture, then my iphone is much better although I do have to remove my gloves to use it, but there are ways to get around that if really needed.
My $.02, worth slightly less.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote