ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #10651
Ddgfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I opted for the camera. In the past I have been out riding on dirt roads and have seen something interesting that I want to come back and visit sometime like a trail, store, etc.. But it was always too much trouble to set a waypoint and put in text to describe. I figure with the camera I can take a quick shot and the unit will enable me to navigate back. So I look at it as an easy way to put information about a waypoint.
Ddgfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #10652
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,512
My main camera is not waterproof. Having the waterproof camera in the Montana means pictures of the real weather instead of all pics of sunny days on a trip that has half rain. Even when a camera failed near the end of a trip, I couldn't buy any of the waterproof ones since the image quality is not so great. The Montana was there as backup. The Montana camera may be worse than other waterproof cameras, but it is no bigger than a Montana without camera.

Taking a picture is far, far easier than described earlier. I don't use the security screw, and I put camera on my Montana's main menu. You can set it up to make it easier or more difficult -- your choice.

Good suggestion about using it to identify waypoints!

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #10653
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I have the 650 and never use the camera. I tried it a few times dropping waypoints but I can add a way point quickly and prefer to change the icon then so I know what it represents.
Even if you don't have the GPS locked down in the RAM mount, you should at least have the lanyard looped around something just in case. The camera quality for pics is pretty terrible and if it's worth taking a real picture, then my iphone is much better although I do have to remove my gloves to use it, but there are ways to get around that if really needed.
My $.02, worth slightly less.
I forgot about the lanyard in my list as well. I always loop both my GPS's :)

And my camera is on this retractor system made by gearkeeper.com.
I can mount the spring end in my tank bag, or to my coat. If I drop the camera, it just retracts it for me.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #10654
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I do already have a small point and shoot camera that is waterproof and shock proof (made for underwater photography). I have it on a lanyard and it's easy to get to. The price point difference that I'm seeing between the 600 and the 650 can be as much as $80, depending on where you purchase.

If I can get a good price on a refurbed 650 model, with a warranty, I may splurge on the camera. It just isn't big a selling point for me, though, given that I have other small waterproof cameras.
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #10655
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
The camera quality for pics is pretty terrible and if it's worth taking a real picture, then my iphone is much better although I do have to remove my gloves to use it, but there are ways to get around that if really needed.
My $.02, worth slightly less.
What's so bad about the Montana picture quality?

I didn't even take the camera out of the mount to take some of these. If you're scouting trails for a group ride, for instance, you can't do better than showing this kind of geolocated picture.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #10656
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,473
For those 'mounted on the bike' pics, is the Montana mounted vertically, or is the camera angled 45* (or so)?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #10657
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
For those 'mounted on the bike' pics, is the Montana mounted vertically, or is the camera angled 45* (or so)?
Not quite vertical, but not 45*. Pick a number between those angles that allows you to see the screen yet gives a reasonable picture.

Here's another Montana picture.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #10658
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
It sounds like to camera or not to camera is sort of a personal thing with how you use cameras.

For me even though my phones have cameras, I pretty much never use them and I'm confident it wouldn't be any different with the GPS. I use a dedicated camera that takes *much* better pictures.

Correlating lat/lon to a photo is as easy as looking at the timestamp on the photo and then looking at the track log..
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #10659
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
So does the Montana reset (hold top left corner of screen) delete anything besides initial Profile display and icon organization?

I was scared to do one in spite of a couple niggling problems with the unit, and now I wish I'd done it 8 months ago.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #10660
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,887
I would only buy a refurbished GPS from the manufacture.
When mine came out they were still brand new so I did not have the option of buying a refurbished one. But I think I would do it, if it saved enough money, and the warrant was good.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #10661
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
So does the Montana reset (hold top left corner of screen) delete anything besides initial Profile display and icon organization?

I was scared to do one in spite of a couple niggling problems with the unit, and now I wish I'd done it 8 months ago.

A reset on the Montana is really painless. If you switch to the Recreation profile before resetting, you'll hardly notice anything changed when you go back to your regular profile afterwards.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #10662
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think that setting is where the camera is least convenient, but I find the camera does not need to be locked on the mount at all times, so it's fairly quick to pop the camera off and take pictures with gloves on.

It's only about $40 more, and it is a waterproof camera, after all

Worth it, imho.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Ditto this.

And for me,

It was cheaper, when on sale (at REI), with camera than without.

Other option is two cameras are better than one. For when you crash and land on the jacket pocket with camera within. Oops, when with one you may then have none.

So for me it is two waterproof cameras, being GPS and Olympus Stylus TG2. Olympus in tank bag, which is easier to acces, than jacket, when on bike.

Callahan screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 05:00 PM
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #10663
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,141
People who paid for the camera option will find a justification for spending the extra, those that didn't won't. Personally, I carry a phone and a Panasonic P&S camera w/gps and could not justify a 650. I have never taken a picture while standing in the rain. I have no need to document every moment of my life, just the special ones, YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #10664
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
People who paid for the camera option will find a justification for spending the extra, those that didn't won't
I wasn't even planning to get the camera model but my wife talked me into it, and I'm glad she did. I'm not justifying having spent more - I'm just describing the uses I've made of it.

Just recently I thought I'd save a hundred bucks and get the basic Garmin Virb camera without gps, and regretted it many times since the purchase. Fortunately the store took it back and I bought the higher priced camera.

To each his own.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #10665
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Ditto this.

And for me,

It was cheaper, when on sale (at REI), with camera than without.

Other option is two cameras are better than one. For when you crash and land on the jacket pocket with camera within. Oops, when with one you may then have none.

So for me it is two waterproof cameras, being GPS and Olympus Stylus TG2. Olympus in tank bag, which is easier to acces, than jacket, when on bike.
Oh, yeah... REI sells them. And I have $63 dollars in REI dividends to spend. Hmmmm....
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote