ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #10771
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
When all else fails ask ADV....

I created a route in BaseCamp by creating a starting waypoint and ending waypoint, and letting BaseCamp chose the roads to connect the points. Then I drug things around to my liking...more 2 lane vs Interstate, etc.

When I transfer the route I created to my Montana 600, the route is shown in Direct Routing, even if I go into Setup/Routing and chose Motorcycle instead of Direct Routing in the Montana.

Garmin MapInstaller told me I couldn't fit City Navigator plus SW Topo Maps on a 16GB microSD card...??? I'm not sure how big the TopoMap file is, but I thought a 16 GB card would surely handle it.

Any thoughts?
And what do you do when asking ADV fails?

The Routing problem: Check to make sure you have a map with Auto-Routing info in it, and that the map is enabled.

The mapping issue is not that you don't have the physical space on the card - it's likely that you have too many sectors.

See here for more info: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces....orage Capacity

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 01:04 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #10772
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Interesting experience with my 650T yesterday. Took a street ride up to a friend's house and back, of about 140 miles total. Running 5.90. Used the same AMPS mount held by RAM parts on the handlebar as I always have. Had 24K northeast topo enabled and simply let it be a rolling map; I was not following a route or track. On the way there, it worked fine. On the way home, it changed to a blank white screen with my little triangle position marker and magenta lines like a track, but straight, unlike those created when following a road. I zoomed in and out, powered down, powered up, enabled CN maps, disabled them (to get back to topo) etc., and it would show the normal view of the map for a moment then switch to the same white screen as described above. The compass screen seemed to function normally, showing speed and direction.

I performed a master reset when I got home. Have not tried it on a vehicle yet, so don't if that helped or not.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #10773
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Interesting experience with my 650T yesterday. Took a street ride up to a friend's house and back, of about 140 miles total. Running 5.90. Used the same AMPS mount held by RAM parts on the handlebar as I always have. Had 24K northeast topo enabled and simply let it be a rolling map; I was not following a route or track. On the way there, it worked fine. On the way home, it changed to a blank white screen with my little triangle position marker and magenta lines like a track, but straight, unlike those created when following a road. I zoomed in and out, powered down, powered up, enabled CN maps, disabled them (to get back to topo) etc., and it would show the normal view of the map for a moment then switch to the same white screen as described above. The compass screen seemed to function normally, showing speed and direction.

I performed a master reset when I got home. Have not tried it on a vehicle yet, so don't if that helped or not.

Just got back from a little ride of about two hours that included a stop somewhere in there where the Montana was powered down. It did not misbehave at all. Not sure if I trust that yet. What is the symptom when one has too many map segments loaded into a unit? Before I took it out for a ride, I realized that I had a handful of old CN map sets on there, so I manually deleted all of them but the latest one. Not sure if that would have had any affect at all.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #10774
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Just got back from a little ride of about two hours that included a stop somewhere in there where the Montana was powered down. It did not misbehave at all. Not sure if I trust that yet. What is the symptom when one has too many map segments loaded into a unit? Before I took it out for a ride, I realized that I had a handful of old CN map sets on there, so I manually deleted all of them but the latest one. Not sure if that would have had any affect at all.
Perhaps it lost power connection for at least 30 seconds, and powered off?

I wish we could get a software update that let the USER select the default action when external power was lost. Garmin could do it with my 60cx, why not the Montana?
Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #10775
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Perhaps it lost power connection for at least 30 seconds, and powered off?

I wish we could get a software update that let the USER select the default action when external power was lost. Garmin could do it with my 60cx, why not the Montana?
This would be a dream for me. On my little bike I'm always powering down and often forget to tap the stay on button. The battery voltage also dips below 10 at idle and in slow technical riding causing that screen to pop up, which can get annoying.

That and lifting the 50 via point ceiling would make the Montana prefect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #10776
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Thanks for the response! Sorry, I think I was unclear. I deliberately powered off the unit while stopped at one point on the ride, and then powered it up and continued, in order to roughly duplicate the conditions from Saturday where it went white screen on me. It was not an issue with the cradle losing power.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #10777
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,739
I've a few questions for the Montana experts...

I created some routes in Basecamp (my preferred way vs creating a route on unit) and found that something like 5 of the 8 routes I created would not transfer to the unit. Well, they would transfer to the unit (I found the files in the units filesystem) but would not show up as a choice when listing available routes. After a bunch of playing I found that if I re-enabled the automatic route name option in base camp the routes were recognized. If I gave them my own name the routes were not recognized. Anyone else see anything like that? Any idea what pattern of route name might cause the issue?

The other question is regarding autozoom. At least I think it is about autozoom. The unit used to zoom out as the speed increased. Below about 60 MPH I'd get a 500 or 800 foot zoom level and above that speed I'd get a a zoomed out view (don't remember the exact level). That stopped working. Don't know why. Don't remember exactly what I may or may have not done. It's possible that it stopped working after that latest software update... I'm running 5.90. Any ideas as to how to get that function back?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #10778
andy19
n00b

Oddometer: 2
650 or 650T?

I realize the 650t has more internal memory and that the 100k topo maps for Europe are not that good.
Although I have searched I have not been able to find out whether it is worth removing these maps so one can utilise the full 7.35GB of memory in the 650T for other more useful maps.
Can one remove the 100k topo maps, save them on a pc and reload them again if necessary? Are there any reasons why one should not do this? Thanks
andy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #10779
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19 View Post
I realize the 650t has more internal memory and that the 100k topo maps for Europe are not that good.
Although I have searched I have not been able to find out whether it is worth removing these maps so one can utilise the full 7.35GB of memory in the 650T for other more useful maps.
Can one remove the 100k topo maps, save them on a pc and reload them again if necessary? Are there any reasons why one should not do this? Thanks
You can take those maps off if you need the space but copying to the internal storage on the Montana is not particularly fast, though it's a far cry from the Serial Port era.

I would suggest you put extra maps on a uSD card, and if you run into a problem with having too many map sectors, then rename the Topo maps to disable them, but don't remove them from the gps itself. All you need to do with the Topo to disable it is change its file extension to something else, away from .img.

If you copy your extra maps to the uSD card in a slot on your computer instead of through the gps, it'll be much faster.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #10780
andy19
n00b

Oddometer: 2
650 or 650T?

Thanks for quick response.
Is there any advantage to installing maps internally as opposed to on msd card? I was planning to install CN Europe on internal memory and believe it is close to or larger than the 3.5GB available if 100k maps remain in internal memory. Any further thoughts/advice would be welcome.
andy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #10781
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

There's no real advantage to the internal memory over the uSD.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #10782
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:

I'll be taking the Montana on a long ride up into the mountains and back again Friday through Sunday. Are there any suggestions on what to do, if I get this behavior again?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #10783
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I'll be taking the Montana on a long ride up into the mountains and back again Friday through Sunday. Are there any suggestions on what to do, if I get this behavior again?
A factory reset is very useful and non-destructive. That would be my choice, if it's behaving oddly.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #10784
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
A factory reset is very useful and non-destructive. That would be my choice, if it's behaving oddly.
Oh! Forgot to mention that I did that, as well as clear out old map sets.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #10785
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Oh! Forgot to mention that I did that, as well as clear out old map sets.
Yes, I know you did that but there's not a whole lot else you can do while in that situation...