ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #10771
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
I cannot find how to delete a couple of waypoints on the Montana. I can rename them or show them. Currently I have a couple named "Trash".

This would seem like a basic function. Was the Montana designed to fail unless you have a computer with you?

I can edit the longitude so N 45 degrees is S 45 degrees and they'd be out the way.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #10772
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
waypoint manager > select the way point you want to delete > click the three bar menu thing on the left of the screen > press delete.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #10773
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
You can also select Waypoint Manager, then Menu (the three bars) and select "Delete" from there to select multiple waypoints for deletion.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #10774
Grinnin
Forever N00b

It's unanimous.

In Waypoint Mgr I had highlighted one of the extra waypoints then selected the 3-bar icon. Too early.

After displaying the extra waypoint details I tried everything except the 3-bar icon.

Yesterday some of my frustration with LandkarteGT overflowed into my frustration with the Montana.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #10775
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
So I am on the last day of a 3 day moto weekend, using my 650T as a rolling map displaying a track of the route I follow on my Nav V, and the white screen problem I ran into described in my last posts in this thread has not recurred. Don't know if it was the master reset or cleaning out old CNNA versions that did the trick, but I am happy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #10776
Grinnin
Forever N00b

I didn't get white screen, but I had black screen twice today.

I don't usually follow prepared routes. Today I did follow a prepared route and the Montana malfunctioned very near 2 of them.

Two days ago I rode to Whitehorse Gear with automatic routing (i.e. only a destination) and the Montana worked fine. Today I followed a route I created with 9 points in QLandkarteGT and the Montana froze near 2 of the points.

When I was approaching point 3 the screen froze.
I turned the switch off and back on and it still showed the same.
I switched to OSM (in memory) and it still showed contour lines (24k topo on microSD).
I unplugged it and plugged it back in and got a black screen instead of the frozen screen.
Taking the battery out and putting it back in worked.

Just after I passed point 9 I stopped and when I restarted the screen stayed blank. Taking the battery out and putting it back in worked.

It could be a coincidence that it failed only by points on a route and hasn't frozen like this before. Then again . . . .

Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #10777
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Taking the battery out and putting it back in worked.
Both the Montana and the VIRB Camera seem much more reliable when you hold the power button in for 20 seconds to restart, if they lock up or misbehave. Pulling the battery does restart them, but they seem less reliable and more prone to continued lockups if you do it that way.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #10778
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Both the Montana and the VIRB Camera seem much more reliable when you hold the power button in for 20 seconds to restart, if they lock up or misbehave. Pulling the battery does restart them, but they seem less reliable and more prone to continued lockups if you do it that way.
Yea. I would have figured that out . . . never.

Thanks.

The wiki tells about batteries out as a Master Reset (not that I read the wiki by the roadside). I don't see any mention of a 20-second press.

EDIT: I see the 20-second press in your Wisdom and FAQ thread. The first one happened when just riding down the road -- not the scenario you describe as bringing up a white screen (which I also didn't have). The second was also not a white screen, but my stop would have been about long enough for the 30-second clock and a partial shutdown. (Or maybe longer, a minute perhaps.)

Grinnin screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 06:46 PM
Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #10779
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Anytime you're thinking pulling the battery might be the solution is the time to use the 20 second power button push, IMHO...

I noticed the Wiki doesn't mention it, but I've been doing it for about two years now and I swear it works. You're welcome to pull the battery, but the power button press seems less work anyway.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #10780
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Black Screen

In the three+ years I've had it, I've never had a white screen. But rarely, and seemingly randomly, I have had it just go blank, as if I had turned it off. I guess this might be called a black screen.

No warning, nothing, just instant off, as if you had pulled the batteries. I've poked it, held the button for 30 seconds, tried everything but pulling the batteries...... because all I have to do is remove it from (either) mount and re-insert it and it reboots.

Once, while driving, it did this, and because I was too busy to deal with it I just left it alone. About 15 minutes later, it just came back on! Not rebooted, just instant on! And it resumed the route at exactly where I was!

That most certainly cannot be a battery issue, and besides I've had earplugs in there from the beginning. Inside an air conditioned car overheating could not be possible either.

BLACK MAGIC! VOODOO!

I use routes and waypoints exclusively from BaseCamp, so I've almost never had a third party gpx file screw it up. Tracks off of GPXExchange.com have never seemed to bother it. (yet)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #10781
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
... Was the Montana designed to fail unless you have a computer with you?
Nawwwww, it fails whether or not you have a computer with you.

I did a little 400mi adventure this weekend that included the Overland Expo near Flagstaff. I'm running an older version (4.6 or 4.7?) so the wonderful thing will show more street names when moving.

I didn't have any lost satellites but twice it just plain shutdown, nothing fancy, just pushed the power button and it booted - had alkaline AA's in rugged mount...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #10782
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Now Steve. To be fair, I wrote that "designed to fail" about a function that was on the Montana all along. I simply couldn't find it.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #10783
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 244
Finally decided on a Montana after trolling around LDT section for a while. Looks to be tons of info on how to get it properly setup - Gonna be a task to get it all right, but thanks ahead of time for all the Montana tips you guys have all contributed.
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #10784
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc View Post
........Gonna be a task to get it all right, but thanks ahead of time for all the Montana tips you guys have all contributed.
After we have done all the work, you won't have nearly as hard a time as us early adopters had!

Go read the Wiki and Wisdom and FAQ sites before you take it out of the box!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #10785
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 244
Well I have it mounted via the AMPs mount over the top of my gauges and I must say I a severely disappointed with the satellite reception. I went out on 30 mile ride, and the GPS lost satellite reception 6 times, and took a long time to find them again?

I feel like something is wrong
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote