ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #11206
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,908
To remove maps using OS X is easy. They are stored in the folder

"~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps"

where the ~ stands for your home directory. Close BaseCamp, remove the undesired maps, then re-launch Basecamp. I only touch the files with a .gmap extension. As is always the case, I make sure I have a backup, first.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #11207
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
To remove maps using OS X is easy. They are stored in the folder

"~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps"

where the ~ stands for your home directory. Close BaseCamp, remove the undesired maps, then re-launch Basecamp. I only touch the files with a .gmap extension. As is always the case, I make sure I have a backup, first.
Map Manager allows you to safely remove maps on the Mac.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #11208
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Stopping Montana from re-doing my routes

I have a Garmin Montana. When I plan routes on my laptop and download them to the device, the stupid thing on its own recalculates the routes. When it does so, it takes 95 mile well-planned routes and turns them into idiotic 238 mile routes with all sorts of loops back.

Why is it doing this? Is there a way in the settings of the device or the program to stop this? This never used to happen with my old Oregon. At this point, the thing is useless.

FYI, the routes include both asphalt and unpaved roads. I tried turning off the "avoid dirt roads" piece.

Thanks.

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #11209
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Sorry if this has been covered

My Montana keeps rerouting routes that I download. It's new routes are horrible. Can this be stopped? Thanks.

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 AM   #11210
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 544
I believe this is caused by using 2 different maps - one on Basecamp where you create your route and a different one on the Montana where you are trying to use the route.

Montana logic will re-calculate a route if you are trying to use it with a map base that it was not created on.

You can try to shut off the auto-recalculate on the Montana, but I do not think it will make a difference as I believe the only solution is to use the same map base on BOTH BaseCamp and Montana to avoid the automatic recalculation.

The reason for this is that not all maps have the same roads and road characteristics.

One sure-fire way to get past the route recalc with different maps is to create the route on BC and convert it to a TRACK then send the TRACK to the Montana and just follow the TRACK - your Montana will NOT recalculate a TRACK.

J
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #11211
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Montana

Yep----My Montana does the same thing. I learned the hard way and almost had a mutiny on a long ride with 4 others.

Anyway---- like Ocean said convert to tracks before you load it to your device. Thats what I do now and all is good.
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #11212
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
Via Points vs Points?

Still confused about number of points that Montana will let you use when building routes. When I build a route on Basecamp, the Properties box Summary lists "Points" and "Via Points". Via points are the ones I put in while building my route, and they are always less than Points, so I'm assuming these Points are other markers that Basecamp inserts along my route. So finally I come to my question: which one is the Montana 650 point limit set for, Via Points, or Points?
Thanks.
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom

Rydah screwed with this post 09-01-2014 at 06:35 AM
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #11213
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
One sure-fire way to get past the route recalc with different maps is to create the route on BC and convert it to a TRACK then send the TRACK to the Montana and just follow the TRACK - your Montana will NOT recalculate a TRACK.
J
BUT when you follow a track you lose the "miles to next turn" and ability to show the directions for the rest of the route, both of which I find to be valuable on street rides. IMO you have to pay a lot more attention to the GPS when following a track.

If you have your avoidances set up the same, the Montana recalc should not change the route if the maps are similar between the PC and the GPS (different versions of CNNA for example). There is always a chance it will, but careful placement of Via points when creating the route can keep you on the desired path.

I always select/load my routes on the Montana before leaving home and make sure the total mileage is exactly the same as BC. If not, then I have a problem.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #11214
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Elevation errors

My Montana is WAAAAAYYYYY off in calculating elevation.

ON a recent bicycle ride with @ 1500 of climbing the Montana showed more than 35000 feet of climbing.

Any idea what's going on here and how to fix it?
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #11215
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
I believe this is caused by using 2 different maps - one on Basecamp where you create your route and a different one on the Montana where you are trying to use the route.

Montana logic will re-calculate a route if you are trying to use it with a map base that it was not created on.

You can try to shut off the auto-recalculate on the Montana, but I do not think it will make a difference as I believe the only solution is to use the same map base on BOTH BaseCamp and Montana to avoid the automatic recalculation.

The reason for this is that not all maps have the same roads and road characteristics.

J
Having the same map enabled on the Montana as the map I used on Basecamp and then disabling auto-recalculate did the trick for me. No change in my route when I download. Get prompted for route recalculation if I get off track.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #11216
richrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I had the same re-routing and looping problem, it was set on "motorcycle". changing it to "automobile" solved my problem.
richrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #11217
mvonkaenel
Roost Hog or Die

Oddometer: 104
Noob

Guys.
Just ordered a Montana 650T for my Adv. motorcycle. I am as green as can be with these things. Any suggestions on getting started? Thinking I need to get City Nav. Can I get that with lifetime updates? Can you get the 24k topo maps with lifetime updates? Are they worth it?
I have a steep learning curve on using maps, creating/transferring routs & tracks and the whole deal.
Help is greatly appreciated and my searches stink. Thanks!!!
'07 Yam XT225
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #11218
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvonkaenel View Post
Guys.
Just ordered a Montana 650T for my Adv. motorcycle. I am as green as can be with these things. Any suggestions on getting started? Read my Wisdom and FAQ thread and the Wiki to help you get started. Thinking I need to get City Nav. Can I get that with lifetime updates? City Nav and the Lifetime Updates are two different products. You buy CNNA, and it comes with one free map update. After another three months, you can buy LMU. Not much point in getting it before that. Can you get the 24k topo maps with lifetime updates? Nope. There are no updates for Topo. Just new versions, many years apart, usually. Are they worth it?
I have a steep learning curve on using maps, creating/transferring routs & tracks and the whole deal.
Help is greatly appreciated and my searches stink. Thanks!!!
Answers in red.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #11219
mvonkaenel
Roost Hog or Die

Oddometer: 104
GPS help

Thanks Emmbeedee.
'07 Yam XT225
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #11220
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,325
While we are asking GPS noob questions...

I bought city navigator on DVD a few years ago when I got my 60csx.

Can I use that same DVD to upload maps to my Montana, or must I purchase it again.

Thank you for any help.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote