Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
crash228 OP
renaissance man

Oddometer: 24
opinions - Wunderlich vs. BMW crash bars...

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to put some crash bars on my new F650GS and I'm trying to decide between these two...

- the Wunderlich crash bars ($270)...
http://bit.ly/kLB47E

- the BMW crash bars ($440)...
http://bit.ly/mT0LeT

The reason I am interested in these 2 in particular is because they come in metal/silver color. I'm not interested in a black one that might get scratched up and then need me to apply touch-up paint. I also like that the 2 of these seem to have a fairly low profile and don't stick out too much on the sides. Lastly, I'm not interested in ones that come up too high to cover the radiator.

Besides the obvious difference in price, I'm hoping some owners of either of these 2 can offer up some reviews/feedback on why they like them or chose them for their bike.

thanks in advance...
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
My F800GS came with the BMW bars ... I wouldn't have bought them myself ... they don't stick out far enough to protect the radiator. Luckily for me my drops have been low speed and they have done their job. They do look nice though! I would just get the Wunderlich, but I guess my BMW ones are for sale at the right price!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
crash228 OP
renaissance man

the right price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
My F800GS came with the BMW bars ... I wouldn't have bought them myself ... they don't stick out far enough to protect the radiator. Luckily for me my drops have been low speed and they have done their job. They do look nice though! I would just get the Wunderlich, but I guess my BMW ones are for sale at the right price!
hey Ducksbane - I would buy them from you if...

a - they will definitely fit my F650GS
(i'm pretty sure they will - aren't our bikes the same down there?)

b - they aren't badly scratched up
c - the price is resonable

PM me what you want for them (shipping to PA included) and send a pic if you've got one.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash228 View Post
hey Ducksbane - I would buy them from you if...

a - they will definitely fit my F650GS
(i'm pretty sure they will - aren't our bikes the same down there?)

b - they aren't badly scratched up
c - the price is resonable

PM me what you want for them (shipping to PA included) and send a pic if you've got one.
I wasn't really serious with me being in Australia and all, but I will have to check what the freight would be ... my guess astronomical! (or perhaps a bit more) ... but you never know!

I suppose it would be a good excuse to get something that protects the bike a bit better.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
crash228 OP
renaissance man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I wasn't really serious with me being in Australia and all, but I will have to check what the freight would be ... my guess astronomical! (or perhaps a bit more) ... but you never know!

I suppose it would be a good excuse to get something that protects the bike a bit better.
yeah - sorry - didn't realize you were in Australia - the shipping probably would be ridiculous. ;-)
Old 05-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I am looking to put some crash bars on my new F650GS and I'm trying to decide between these two...

- the Wunderlich crash bars ($270)...
http://bit.ly/kLB47E

- the BMW crash bars ($440)...
http://bit.ly/mT0LeT

The reason I am interested in these 2 in particular is because they come in metal/silver color. I'm not interested in a black one that might get scratched up and then need me to apply touch-up paint. I also like that the 2 of these seem to have a fairly low profile and don't stick out too much on the sides. Lastly, I'm not interested in ones that come up too high to cover the radiator.

Besides the obvious difference in price, I'm hoping some owners of either of these 2 can offer up some reviews/feedback on why they like them or chose them for their bike.

thanks in advance...
any reason you're not considering ALTrider's stuff? priced around what you're looking at. great service and product.
http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...win/pcid/706-1
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
The reason I am interested in these 2 in particular is because they come in metal/silver color. I'm not interested in a black one that might get scratched up and then need me to apply touch-up paint.

I don't have experience with the two brands you inquired about, but I'd like to comment on the black paint and the sw-motech brand crash bars.

I'm like you in that i like things to remain in good condition as long as possible. However, I'm usually one to favor utility over style (it's nice when you can have both though).

I never considered the bmw bars because to me they didn't seem to protect enough of the plastic faring. I looked at the wunderlich bars, but decided against them because I think they aren't compatible with many bash plates.

I decided on the sw-motech bars because like you, I didn't like the bars that in my opinion are unnecessarily too high. The sw-motech bars are not as low as the bmw ones and not as high as some of the other brands out there.

The SW-motechs combined with bark-busters provides sufficient coverage of the entire side of the bike in a get-off. It will keep the plastic and radiator off the ground.

Concerning the black paint:

I've dumped my bike on both sides numerous times. Every fall has been off-road. Therefore I have lots of chips and scratches on my bars, but none on my plastics. The chips on the bars don't bother me. They are very noticeable when you look close, but they don't really standout at a glance when the bike is weathered from being ridden every day.

I know the pictures are hard to tell what I'm talking about, but in my experience, the only person who is going to really notice those chips/scratches will be the person who owns the bike. I found the chips don't bother me.

The sw-motech bars are practical in that they do their job (that's a fact) and look good (that's my opinion). Also, a few chips don’t really make a difference in my opinion when the bike is being ridden every day as it really won't be that noticeable.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
+1 on the above, and of course what shouldn't be forgotten is that it's far cheaper to replace a pair of crash bars if needs be than even one plastic panel which cost and arm and a leg. If the radiator goes as well you're talking big bucks.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

The reason I am interested in these 2 in particular is because they come in metal/silver color. I'm not interested in a black one that might get scratched up and then need me to apply touch-up
Not to be a nay-sayer, but the silver bars require just as much work if aesthetics is what bothers you as they too are coated and will rust when scratched. So you have either rust brown marks on silver bars, or rust brown marks on black bars. Personally, the latter is less noticeable since there is less contrast between the colors.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
cathulu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
With a handle like Crash228 its odd to hear that you don't want to do much crash repair - I thought it came with the territory

SW Motech all the way. It is easy to put a spot of black paint on after you dump it.

Is your frame black? All the 800s are black as far as I know but not sure about the 658. If your frame is black than silver will look silly imho.
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
crash228 OP
renaissance man

SW Motech crash bars

You know every time i get in a discussion about crash bars (ether in these forums or in person), i seem to get bombarded w/ recommendations for the SW Motech bars. Is it because they are that damn good, or because they are less expensive than most of the others out there? (or both?)

I am seriously starting to consider going w/ those now...
Old 05-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #12
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I went with the Givi on my F650GS twin because they do stick out further than most and are sort of low (don't go up high). As a result of sticking out further they protect the bike well in a tip over, and they provide a handy leg rest for those longer rides. They are black though! But so is the motor...
Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #13
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 415
I have the Wunderlich bars and they look like they'd provide great protection, although I've never tested them.

The BMW HD aluminum skid plate fits with a little fiddling (not shown in this pic).

The TT folding brake pedal does NOT fit with these bars because of it's mounting design.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
......recommendations for the SW Motech bars. Is it because they are that damn good, or because they are less expensive than most of the others out there? (or both?)
Both in my opinion.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
You know every time i get in a discussion about crash bars (ether in these forums or in person), i seem to get bombarded w/ recommendations for the SW Motech bars. Is it because they are that damn good, or because they are less expensive than most of the others out there? (or both?)

I am seriously starting to consider going w/ those now...
Being serious, if you had been able to buy my BMW bars I would have bought some SW Motech bars to replace them because they are good bars and are good value!