"Locusts...." :uhhuh
AusieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #17
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
No... but you can buy liners, make your own (peel-n-stick carpet squares work nice, as does neoprene wetsuit material), or have the insides powdercoated locally... in the snazzy color of your choice.
Surprised no one has mentioned spraying the inside with bedliner?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #18
Nom de Guerre OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusieRob
Errr.... Yes
Did you get a PM from me? I tried sending you one to ask you to post in a thread about tha '99 640 that Craigincali just bought. I was trying to get you to talk up the lovely color scheme to get Craig fired up about buying it.

That's all... no biggie, but if you didn't get it, that's a drag! I guess that explains why all the women of AdvRider never respond to my PM's to them

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #19
AusieRob
Just Gas It!!

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Did you get a PM from me? I tried sending you one to ask you to post in a thread about tha '99 640 that Craigincali just bought. I was trying to get you to talk up the lovely color scheme to get Craig fired up about buying it.

That's all... no biggie, but if you didn't get it, that's a drag! I guess that explains why all the women of AdvRider never respond to my PM's to them
Nope... No PM from you.
Anyway I've done it, without your prompting

Hey Dude, forget the women I'll respond to ya

Cheers

Old 02-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #20
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave
Surprised no one has mentioned spraying the inside with bedliner?
I had my Zegas sprayed inside by the local Line-X outfit. It's quite a bit heavier than the closed cell foam padding I used previous to that, but much more durable and much thinner. No more black powder or black stains on things, and no more rattling and clanging of items inside against the boxes. I think they charged me 20 bucks per side.

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #21
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
MotoSport Panniers

Exactly 30 inches wide.

Also, when comparing prices make sure that you compare like with like, MS panniers come with liners and locks which are extras on the Zegas.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:40 AM   #22
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
Pelicans

Hey I can't remember if you were in on the Pelican discussions - if not then looksie below. this was jimjib's handywork but scottcolbath now owns the bike (i have never seen the bike in person...).

his first thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=pelican
another good one:

more below

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

The thing I like about this setup is Pelican's are almost indestructible. Everything else, the big meanies in the asylum have broken one way or another. That being said, the rack and the KTM are not. So this is jimjib's brilliance IMHO: he uses cheap conduit (adel) clamps to hold them on. That way if ya take a spill, before something more important breaks from the forces the clamps break away and could save alot of cash and headache. The clamps are less than a buck and you can carry spares just in case (pun intended).

Pelicans don't keep their warranty if you drill them (of course) but they DO come with the reinforced drillin' points! (Nice eh?) And they are much cheaper than any other option short of soft bags or ammo cans. Many shapes and sizes to choose from. Just choose a rack you like that will work with them.

Did I mention they are waterproof?

http://www.pelican.com/

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #23
Nom de Guerre OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
KTiM, that bike looks sweet! Yours was the first one I saw with the MS panniers a while back I recall.

Meat, I did see that thread, and have seen various pics of this solution, but I have decided against this route. For one thing, I want to be able to open the tops of the hard cases without taking the cases off the brackets. Another reason I'm not interested in doing the Pelican thing (and I know you guys are gonna think this is silly) is that in my line of work, Pelican cases are used extensively. I own several Pelicans in different sizes for various pieces of equipment I own. They are great cases, but I don't want to be reminded of work every time I look at my bike when I'm out in the middle of paradise.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #24
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Meat, I did see that thread, and have seen various pics of this solution, but I have decided against this route. For one thing, I want to be able to open the tops of the hard cases without taking the cases off the brackets.
Hmmm, me no understandie?

opens w/out taking them off...

Quote:
Another reason I'm not interested in doing the Pelican thing (and I know you guys are gonna think this is silly) is that in my line of work, Pelican cases are used extensively. I own several Pelicans in different sizes for various pieces of equipment I own. They are great cases, but I don't want to be reminded of work every time I look at my bike when I'm out in the middle of paradise.
not silly, I can understand you wanting to forget work while riding... however, if you land on commercial panniers the wrong way, they will die, and maybe take you rack or parts of your bike with them (from others testimonials). the idea with the pelicans is they are "nie invulnerable" (like The Tick ) and with a breakaway mounting system they probably won't tear apart your rack or where the rack mounts to the bike in a fall (and they can be field repaired easily).

just tryin to be helpful

Old 02-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #25
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Anyone interested in Pelican cases but want a top open, there is always the marine case. It may be a bit narrow on the inside (and overly wide on the outside)... but they is cheap!
Old 02-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #26
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Anyone interested in Pelican cases but want a top open, there is always the marine case. It may be a bit narrow on the inside (and overly wide on the outside)... but they is cheap!
i like that design too, but they are not going to hold alot. here is a pic with some standard stuff peeking out the top:

these are smaller than the standard 1550 that people have been using as panniers are a bit lower capacity than the 37L zegas I reckon based upon others statements but I would have to do some math to figure out the volume in Liters...

another of the kool marine case (if only Pelican would make one a bit bigger...

oh god not another hijack! - sorry LC4Pilot...

Old 02-15-2005, 04:11 PM   #27
creeper
Still alive...

Really, that baby needs to be a bit wider... 5 inches inside is a bit snug for an 8.5 outside dimension. 6 inches inside would be a big improvement.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #28
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Really, that baby needs to be a bit wider... 5 inches inside is a bit snug for an 8.5 outside dimension. 6 inches inside would be a big improvement.
true, but i think that 8,5 might be the "widest" external, including the very interestin' clamp setup (note pics above). never saw that before - might be useful for mounting. i am going to stop by a pelican dealer here and see if they have one to inspect...

Old 02-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #29
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
true, but i think that 8,5 might be the "widest" external, including the very interestin' clamp setup (note pics above). never saw that before - might be useful for mounting. i am going to stop by a pelican dealer here and see if they have one to inspect...
I think the 8.5 includes all the assorted flanges and stuff that stick out. It looks like the basic body dimension is maybe 6.5 - 7... so at least they are narrow, if thats yer' cup-o-tea.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #30
AusieRob
Just Gas It!!

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
I had a real close look at these but they just don't work for me. I need the boxes to be at least 9" wide inside. I must have at least 1 "slab" total carrying capacity. That's 2 dozen beers for the non-Aussies out there.

Hey Meat,
I hear yar, they are a really good option and the product seams good and the pricing is great. But I wanted top loading as well as removable. Also my bike came with a Zega (TT) rack so that my starting point. If only the Marine cases were at least 3" wider on the inside I'd really consider them. Though I'd need to come up with a quick release thingy... And I'm on a serious count down to Baja trip 3 weekends to get everything done.

AusieRob screwed with this post 02-15-2005 at 04:49 PM