Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #31
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
One last question: Are the Zegas powder coated on the interior, or otherwise coated?
Nate had the interior of his bedlinered
Old 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #32
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusieRob
I had a real close look at these but they just don't work for me. I need the boxes to be at least 9" wide inside. I must have at least 1 "slab" total carrying capacity. That's 2 dozen beers for the non-Aussies out there.

Hey Meat,
I hear yar, they are a really good option and the product seams good and the pricing is great. But I wanted top loading as well as removable. Also my bike came with a Zega (TT) rack so that my starting point. If only the Marine cases were at least 3" wider on the inside I'd really consider them. Though I'd need to come up with a quick release thingy... And I'm on a serious count down to Baja trip 3 weekends to get everything done.
i think 2 doz beers is a case 'round these parts ausie - but i was never paying that much attention. i like slab better - it's sounds like what it is

yep, yer right rob, the pelicans are not optimized at'all. Funny that the Gobi's are plastic, yet the self-destructing type and much more expensive. a larger marine (1420) case is to die for but who knows when that would happen. Wouldn't the 1600 side loader hold a slab?

mounting is a trick still - some ideas floating around but still not optimized.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #33
Nom de Guerre OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Hmmm, me no understandie?

opens w/out taking them off...
I should have clarified... "without all my crap falling all over the place." If you pack like I do, and want to be able to rummage through stuff without dropping a lot of things on the ground, a top loading case is a better design.

The Marine cases are cool, but as observed by many earlier in this thread they are a bit too small. They also still look too much like "work" to me.

I understand the great point about being somewhat "breakaway," but I'll just take my chances. The theory (in my head at least) says that the challenging riding will be done after unloading my cases at camp sites, etc. I'm sure there will be plenty of exceptions though

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:25 PM   #34
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
I should have clarified... "without all my crap falling all over the place." If you pack like I do, and want to be able to rummage through stuff without dropping a lot of things on the ground, a top loading case is a better design.

The Marine cases are cool, but as observed by many earlier in this thread they are a bit too small. They also still look too much like "work" to me.

I understand the great point about being somewhat "breakaway," but I'll just take my chances. The theory (in my head at least) says that the challenging riding will be done after unloading my cases at camp sites, etc. I'm sure there will be plenty of exceptions though

the zegas or other commercial cases are fine for many - I just need a cheaper alternative and am excited to find out it may be the superior (structurally - not asthetically) alternative.

really, i just would like something to carry stuff in - i might start with the pelican 1300 for a top case... but i would like to fit the panniers at the same time.

what rack did you choose? just going with the brand specific?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:40 PM   #35
Nom de Guerre OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

the zegas or other commercial cases are fine for many - I just need a cheaper alternative and am excited to find out it may be the superior (structurally - not asthetically) alternative.

really, i just would like something to carry stuff in - i might start with the pelican 1300 for a top case... but i would like to fit the panniers at the same time.

what rack did you choose? just going with the brand specific?
I'll probably go with the bracketry that AusieRob has. It sounds like the fit is tight and secure. Plus they are made as a system for this bike with hardware pre-mounted on the cases, so that's a plus.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote