User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Oddometer: 84
Norway June 2014 - Another Father and Son trip

So after the RRs for my Nordkapp trip and our Lap of Scotland here's another one

We wanted to make another trip this year, thinking to make this an annual affair.
We would go either to the Pyrenean Mountains or Norway, and we'd let the weatherman decide the week before departure date so I had two trips planned out. It's obvious which one made the take...

Participants are the same as last year, and since no one's bought another bike (yet) the bikes are also the same.

Thijs with the R1150GS on the left, Ben with the K75 on the right.

We ended up riding a little over 4000km in 12 days.

The route taken looks a bit funky, I bodged up on the planned pace so we had to improvise from around the halfway point:

The mapping software is in Dutch, but the names should be clear for the most part.

I wanted to start this one sooner after we got back, but I was busy

On to the first entry!
Thijs_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Eek Day 1, 28th of May

Like last year, we would start the trip in the ascension weekend. I left home for work the day before on a fully loaded bike, and would go straight to my parents house afterwards to pick my father up.

So basically I was sitting at a desk... in an office... while on a motorcycle trip.

The view from my apartment in the morning, only the tankbag and GPS left to add (AND KEYS!).

The weather was going from bad to worse in the afternoon, and by the time I reached my elderly home rain started pouring down and I found a very nervous father scrambling for all the little things to pack. Check, check checking everyting...

After a short diner we waited for the rain to go down, but it didn't so around 18:00 we finally set off in the pouring rain for Osnabruck.

My dads K75 is a bit of an old beast, it's almost at the 220.000km, and during this trip it would let us know this occasionally... The first of these occasions was when the xenon lighting (which isn't even vintage!) decided it didn't want to work anymore after the first fuel stop just over the German border.

After some mild cussing, out come the tools...

With a normal halogen bulb installed we arrived at the Ibis hotel in Osnabruck just after 22:00. We came in too late for 'manned' check in, so the underground parking (if there even was any) was unavailable. We parked the bikes at the outside hotel parking, but they were in clear view of the street right in the middle of the city...

Our gear was soaked, and with the late arrival and unguarded parking I have to admit spirits were not as high as they should have been this early in the trip.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Cool2 Day 2 - Getting to Scandinavia

It was still raining the next day, and we had been waking up to screaming in the streets throughout the night. Some kind of German holiday maybe? Through the wifi I found out there was a band of rain crossing Europe but it was very 'horizontal', going from east to west and we were right in the middle of it. This was a great motivation to leave early, since it meant we would be out of the rain once we started riding north.

As soon as the roads dried up we stopped for some breakfast. The weather cleared even more the further we came north and by the time we passed Hamburg we got clear skies and high temperatures. After a quick lunch at a biker bar (some vintage Chrome bar) we soldiered on on the autobahn towards the ferry to Denmark at Puttgarden. Sadly no pictures taken at the bar...

At the ferry it wasn't really clear which lane we had to choose with the bikes. There was also no option at the automated checking for motorbikes so I payed for a car with two passengers and we queued up with the cars. A fellow passenger told us there was a bike lane, where we found only one other biker. After a short chat however the ferry-people waved us aboard, and in the end we were on the ferry withing 10 minutes after we arrived...

It was a 30minute ferry, but it was nice to stretch the legs and relax.

The dog in the reflection has the right idea, with this sun...

The Danes, just like the Dutch, grow their windmills out at sea (or is it the other way around?)

We had a campsite booked near Copenhagen, at the Charlottenlund Fort. This is an old fortress which they converted to a campsite. The waste disposal was in the old gunpowder room! The ride there was still a couple of hours away though, Denmark is bigger than it appears.

The campsite was fully booked, so we couldn't camp right next to the big guns.

Out come the tents for the first time!

Children playing where soldiers used to be.

You almost expect Frodo Baggins coming around the corner...

Sweden (Malmö) in the distance.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 931
I want to see more...

Nicola
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Cool2 Day 3 - Mermaids, bridges and Sweden

The last time I was near Copenhagen I was on the bridge to Sweden before I knew it, so for this time we took a route through the city. But first, the little mermaid:

It was crowded. And with 'crowded' I mean CROWDED. Oh and very warm.

Everyone wanted to pose next to it, and was taking turns running up to the statue while someone else took a picture.

I'm too cool to pose next to it, but not cool enough to not have one with me in the same frame!

It's a nice statue, but I think it gets a bit too much attention. Found some stickers for the panniers though!
But on with it, it was getting very warm and in full gear we were not really dressed to cope with the heat.

We planned to find a nice place for breakfast, but lane splitting in summer temperatures just made us want to get out of there!

Finally some speed...

We crossed the MASSIVE Øresund bridge to Malmö and started looking for some breakfast on the other side.

There was a restaurant with a nice view of the bridge, but there was some kind of art exhibition there, all kinds of artsy people running around with paintings. No breakfast there!

Nice view though.

The fastest route north from Copenhagen according my GPS is a ferry at Helsingborg, but I think the bridge was worth the detour. I think I'll always prefer riding into another country.

Welcomed by the Swedish air force.

After finding our first Swedish fuel the route took us straight north, on the long E6 to Oslo. I had planned these first days carefully, but after the Little Mermaid and tossing around near the bridge, the distance was just to massive.
I had planned to end up just north of the Norwegian border, but we got tired of the endless motorway, and ended up in the area around Uddevalla. We spent some time looking for a camping spot near the water, but only found private roads and dead ends. So eventually we settled for a secluded spot in the woods near Skredsvik.

First wildcamp, now it's really starting.

Spirits were high and we were looking forward getting into Norway the next day
Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
henderson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
more

this is great
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,021
Very cool!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Thumb Day 4 - Fuel pumps, angry farmers and a very big lake.

After a very good night sleep Ben's K75 decided to give us a second 'I-can-take-whatever-you-throw-at-me-but-beware'-warning. It would not start no matter what we tried Luckily we were up on a hill, so we wouldn't have to push very hard to get back to the road. A rolling start going down the hill didn't work, but at least we were literally out of the woods. It seemed the fuel pump wasn't working (its recognisable sound was missing when the ignition was switched on).

After Ben tried various things I went back to Uddevalla, 10 minutes away, to see if I could get any help while Ben stayed with the bike. I found some workshops and dealerships, but most of them were closed as it wasn't even 10:00 yet. A mechanic from the Renault dealer that was open told me the nearest bike shop was 30km south. When I finally found the BMW dealership, I phoned Ben but still no luck with the bike, so I decided to wait a bit for it to open.

Stubborn as he is, Ben couldn't sit around doing nothing so while I was away so he tore the USB charging wire of his GPS apart, and with this he crosswired the fuel pump. This caused it to rotate itself 'unstuck' somehow, and when properly connected started the bike without any problem.

Fun fact; since the boys were having fun out here in Scandinavia my mother went on a trip of her own, to Bulgaria. My father couldn't call me (we found out later, there wasn't a '+' before the country code of my number in his contactlist ), so he phoned my mother in Bulgaria, who then called me to tell me he got the bike running.

After reuniting we continued north, first using some nice country side roads but then back to the E6.

Coffee stop at Moss, halfway between the border and Oslo. Weathergods are still very kind to us!

We reached Oslo early in the afternoon and visited the viking museum there. It was nice to be in Oslo again, I really like the atmosphere there.

The Viking Museum

"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

After a lunch stop back in the city centre we took care of the last 20 minutes of motorway, and finally got on the smaller E16 after 3 days of highway riding. We were both completely sick of 'just getting there' and eating up the kilometers, so relieve set in when the E16 turned out to be a really nice cruise along the lake, with beautiful weather

Finally a small main road!

We stopped for a moment near Utoya, famous for all the wrong reasons.
It was completely unexpected, I had overlooked that the route would take us right next to it.

After this we continued north, enjoying the sunshine and the countryside roads. We wanted to camp along the Randsfjorden lake, and tried to ask a farmer who was on a very big field with various small buildings near the water. As soon as I turned into his driveway he started yelling and waving us away. I got the message and turned around, but my father didn't want it to end like that so went up to talk to him. The man ran away and into the main building. I figured he could be either calling the cops on us, getting his family with torches and pitchforks or maybe even a gun, so we left him to whatever fears were haunting him

About 15 minutes later we found a nice patch between the road and the water, but decided to ask the owner of a nearby house if that was private land, keeping the previous experience in mind. He was very open, and seemed genuinely happy that we took interest in his country. Meaning we had a beautiful place to camp!

No tides hopefully...

Taken the next morning, better light

We had been telling each other before the trip we would go for a swim if the opportunity was there, so here you go:

Need some acclimatisation though, it was c-c-c-c-cold...

It was actually warm after a while, but that's probably the hypothermia setting in

Ben was hesitant at first, but I think the argument that we were sweaty and hadn't showered for two days won him over.
No pictures of him submerged since I was getting into some dry clothes, but I want the world to know that he went in all the way as well

Campfire started, warming up after the cold bath. A perfect end to great day of riding
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
BashOn
Bold Misadventurer

Oddometer: 27
Awesome report. Makes me want to check my vacation balance at work and renew my passport.

Great that you're doing it with your dad, and that you're making it an annual event. Looking forward to more!
BashOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Cool2

Picture-heavy entry, won't be the last

Last year in Scotland Ben had some temperature-issues with some of the camping gear, especially the mattress. Before this trip he found a second hand cold-weather one, and this one did the trick!

A sight any camper would be happy with. The shadow on my tent is sign enough the weather is going to be great even before I open the main zipper.

The first fuel stop would be at Dokka, at the very top of the lake. It took us over an hour to get there. The Randsfjorden is one very big fjord/lake, we had been riding for almost an hour along its shore the previous day already.
Dokka is a nice little town, to me there was bit of a frontier kind of vibe there. We got fuel there, and there where several locals filling up jerrycans with petrol in their pickup trucks. To us Dutchies, with always a million places nearby to get petrol, this is very much out of the ordinary!

One of the many inevitable bike-shots... But I do love the look of the 1150 fully loaded, really shouts 'bring it on!'

The RV250 north of Dokka, we could ride these roads for days I think...

From Dokka we followed the RV250 towards Lillehammer, which is a very good road. It zigzags through some woods before reaching some tundra-like areas. I stopped to take some pictures, and when my father pulled over he mentioned his bike not running very smoothly.
The roads tended to be dry and quite dusty, so he figured it was the airfilter (which hadn't been cleaned in some time), and immediately started pulling his bike apart in the middle of nowhere.

He knows his bike best, so I decided to help him by not lending a hand.

I'm always in full 'moose-spotting' mode in these landscapes. Nothing to be seen though.

Meeting a local.

The K75 started and ran without any difficulties, so we could enjoy this amazing road some more.

At Lillehammer we met the pesky E6 again, and used it to get further north.

There be dragons out there!

Until we got near Kvam, and we had enough of this E6 main road when some stinky Diesel truck pulled out in front of us. I found the 257 to Heidal on my GPS, which we could use as a shortcut. This would however lead us to a dirt road before we could join the E6 again at Lalm.

Our first touch with a bit of sand on this trip.

Horseys!

Broaaaap!

At Vaga we stopped to top up the fuel for the Slådalsvegen, and we had an ice-cream to top up our personal coulant (it was summer-hot by then). I also put some oil in the R1150GS for the first time this trip.

Then the Slådalsvegen, very nice...

It was quiet there as well, only the noise of the nearby river.

A happy biker.

Yours truly at work.

This country really is amazing!
After the Slådalsvegen pass we started looking around for someplace to eat. We found a small church with a restaurant, but we almost crashed a wedding diner so were politely sent off. On to Dombås then, where we got a so-so pizza at the 'main square'. This was more a parking lot surrounded by tourist shops.

Since the weather was very good, and we had both taken a 'bath' the day before, we decided to camp for the fourth night in a row. We eventually found a nice spot next to the river between Dombås and the Slådalsvegen.

If there's a firepit, it is usually a good spot.

I especially enjoy the 'wild' part in wildcamping

Playing around with the camera.

It was past 23:00 when I closed my tent but it was still light enough to think it was only late in the afternoon. After these long days I always went straight into a coma, but Ben told me it didn't even get completely dark at any time during the night, even though we were far south of the polar circle (62 degrees latitude at that point, polar circle is at 66 degrees).
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
Mugwest

Oddometer: 6,055
Nice stuff Thijs I enjoy your trips w/ your dad and always love to see the old K75 still out there traveling
Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Your ride is an inspiration of sorts. I'd like to ride around the (insert country here) with any of my son(s). Lots of pretty pictures.

Looks like a very well protected campsite. Very unique!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Hi Thijs!

Outstanding pictures, as always. You are a talented photographer!
Lovely to see the K in it's element, travelling and consuming distance.
These are priceless experiences between father and son, and there will be a place in time where these moments are among your most valuable memories.
Enjoying any of your posts....

Best regards,
I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. “This is the 21st century, old man,” he said. “We don’t waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.” I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Thijs_B OP
Keeps on dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashOn View Post
Awesome report. Makes me want to check my vacation balance at work and renew my passport.

Great that you're doing it with your dad, and that you're making it an annual event. Looking forward to more!
When not on vacation, that balance is always on my mind as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Nice stuff Thijs I enjoy your trips w/ your dad and always love to see the old K75 still out there traveling
Riding pillion with him on that bike years and years ago made me decide I had to get my license one day, so it'll be a sad day indeed if and when he decides to get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
Hi Thijs!

Outstanding pictures, as always. You are a talented photographer!
Lovely to see the K in it's element, travelling and consuming distance.
These are priceless experiences between father and son, and there will be a place in time where these moments are among your most valuable memories.
Enjoying any of your posts....

Best regards,
As always thank you for your kind comments! More is coming, but updates are a bit slow. I have a lot on my plate right now...