Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #1501
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Mark we ride in wet all the time on K60's maybe it was something else? Never lost traction like you...just wondering if there was something on the road...

Glad you are OK...in a way.
I only have another 1,000 miles left...and maybe there was something on the road, I did not walk back up and check....

I'm fine. Expect tomorrow I will be a bit more sore. But I have great Motoport riding gear. So I so not have any scratches etc. The bike can get fixed, just a fact. I can tell already that Jose at BMW Guatemala will take good care of me!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #1502
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,107
Dang Mark, We split up the dynamic duo and drop off the grid for like 5 days of laying around and when I finally get some slow internet hoo-up your trip has taken a small setback We buddy glad to know your going to be OK. I think that bike will get fixed sooner than you think.

When I get some decent internet I'll post up what I am up to take care man.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #1503
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Fantastic! You are fine and that's all that counts. The rest, it all adds up to part of the story. Think how dull it would be if you simply rode around all the time with fluffy clouds and butterflies. This is the kind of story you tell around a campfire instead of listening to someone else's adventure.

As you may recall, I hurt my bike in Guatemala, too, and even have the video In the end we got through it just fine.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #1504
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
Fantastic! You are fine and that's all that counts. The rest, it all adds up to part of the story. Think how dull it would be if you simply rode around all the time with fluffy clouds and butterflies. This is the kind of story you tell around a campfire instead of listening to someone else's adventure.
Indeed Arno. All part of the adventure. If I was traveling another way, something else would happen..... Just part of the Journey.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #1505
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Geez Mark,
Best wishes for your anti-inflammatories to work well, fast etc---and for the instant replay in your brain to fade quickly.

We're thinking of you.
You know how this goes Bill Will heal up quickly ...... Nothing broken, but I will feel this in the AM.

Mark

Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #1506
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498

I will not worry, I will not worry, I will not worry.........

Keep your eyes open for ladybugs you never know when one will be watching you.

Heal up those bumps and bruises quickly and see what kind of fun you can find for yourself while you are waiting for your bike to be repaired.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #1507
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Mark, I know it sounds stupid, but you are welcome to ride my DR650 as far as you want. It is cherry with about 2000 miles on it. You arrange shipping. You're going to wish for a lighter bike in Africa anyway.

PS: you're a long way from home, so a little extra caution is in order
Old 12-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #1508
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
PS: you're a long way from home, so a little extra caution is in order
Since I left Sam...... Throwing Caution to the Wind

Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #1509
whyknotboats
CRANK IT UP!

Oddometer: 515
Hey Radioman

Ken here, I am your savior. I have had the very same thing happen to my case as you! The hepco becker guards are mounted in the weak case and stress cracks the case. Drain the oil, lay the bike on its left side. Use a dremmel tool and around the stress crack. Oh Remove the Hepco guards first. Use a wire wheel, sanding wheel etc until you only see about 1 inch of shiny metal. Apply alcohol or methel ethel keotone and remove all signs of oil.This is important. Let dry and mix up a good puddle of JB WELD epoxy. Apply thouroughly around the bolt area and build it up for seal anjd strength. Do the same on the left side near the fins as that area will be next!!!!
After 24 hours and 12 pack of cerveza, you will be on your way!! Stronger than new!! Take car and hope this helps a little. Ken f800 gs owner and adv rider!
whyknotboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #1510
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,712
be sure to post more pictures of how the damage was caused. I know there is more then just me looking at how or F800 crash bars mount on the RS .
Glad your OK.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #1511
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
The main thing is you walked away from the crash. Bet you are stiff and sore tomorrow, but have to feel good knowing the BMW dealer is going to be headed your way. Hope it is a fast fix, and you can relax knowing when you are ready the bike will be, also.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #1512
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyknotboats View Post
Ken here, I am your savior. I have had the very same thing happen to my case as you! The hepco becker guards are mounted in the weak case and stress cracks the case. Drain the oil, lay the bike on its left side. Use a dremmel tool and around the stress crack. Oh Remove the Hepco guards first. Use a wire wheel, sanding wheel etc until you only see about 1 inch of shiny metal. Apply alcohol or methel ethel keotone and remove all signs of oil.This is important. Let dry and mix up a good puddle of JB WELD epoxy. Apply thouroughly around the bolt area and build it up for seal anjd strength. Do the same on the left side near the fins as that area will be next!!!!
After 24 hours and 12 pack of cerveza, you will be on your way!! Stronger than new!! Take car and hope this helps a little. Ken f800 gs owner and adv rider!
Thanks. Will probably have the dealer do the same thing but weld it. Want to check and make sure that nothing else is damaged.

And what is great about this part of the world is that in general people actually repair things instead of replacing with new !

ADV is great!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #1513
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
be sure to post more pictures of how the damage was caused. I know there is more then just me looking at how or F800 crash bars mount on the RS .
Glad your OK.
The engine guard hit the large rock on my way by, and kicked me back up into the street. I will see if I can get some better photos of the damage once the engine guard is removed.....

Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #1514
whyknotboats
CRANK IT UP!

Oddometer: 515
Hey Radioman

Yeh. I tried welding as I had the exact same issue. The problem is the heat generated by the tig weld. It will worp the gasket between the engine and the sump. You will have to torque them afterwards for sure. After spending an hour or so welding, I still ended up JB weld to solve the problem. There is just not enough aluminum to support the stress on the bolts from engine guards upon impact! Especially the forward left side of the engine! Let me know how it turns out. Ken
whyknotboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #1515
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyknotboats View Post
Yeh. I tried welding as I had the exact same issue. The problem is the heat generated by the tig weld. It will worp the gasket between the engine and the sump. You will have to torque them afterwards for sure. After spending an hour or so welding, I still ended up JB weld to solve the problem. There is just not enough aluminum to support the stress on the bolts from engine guards upon impact! Especially the forward left side of the engine! Let me know how it turns out. Ken
Will Do. Good Information. I do not think I have any JB weld with me :( opted for some Epoxy that is solid and you mix. Not sure if I can find it here, But will take with the Mechanics when I get to the dealer. Let everyone know how it turns out.

The engine Guard clipped the big rock, so It might be a bigger crack. We will see.