User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #2311
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,126
Thumb Bravo Amigo!

Keeping up with you and dreaming of riding there myself someday. Be safe, thank you for sharing this journey!
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #2312
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMike View Post
Keeping up with you and dreaming of riding there myself someday. Be safe, thank you for sharing this journey!
I know what you mean. My Wife's question changed from "Do you want to go there?" to "When are you leaving?".
Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #2313
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I know what you mean. My Wife's question changed from "Do you want to go there?" to "When are you leaving?".

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 04:13 AM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #2314
Colombianito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Radioman,

I noticed a foto of you with ESMAD Cops. Where was that taken? Those guys only roll out for RIOT Control. So its possible you may have stumbled onto a possible MANIFESTATION. Often time, the Guerilla call for a demonstration and they call out the ESMAD guys for crowd control. Just curious, as i have worked with Colombian Cops and Soldiers for a while now and rarely have i ever seen ESMAD on sight!
Colombianito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #2315
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombianito View Post
Radioman,

I noticed a foto of you with ESMAD Cops. Where was that taken? Those guys only roll out for RIOT Control. So its possible you may have stumbled onto a possible MANIFESTATION. Often time, the Guerilla call for a demonstration and they call out the ESMAD guys for crowd control.
That was at the bridge between La Pradera and Laberinto. They were not seeming to be in any hurry or focused on a confrontation as they got on and off our bikes and asked questions about our ride

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #2316
Swantho
pathetic corp monkey

Oddometer: 26
Finally!!

Great RR! And, worth every second expended. Finally caught up, albeit, at the expense of hours worth of precious sleep, as I balsted through this thread piece by piece during the late evening/early morning hours.

Ride safe and Godspeed!

Swantho screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 07:59 AM
Swantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #2317
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 15th crossing the border into Ecuador!

After so many border crossings in Central America that are hectic, hot and long. Crossing into Ecuador was going to be "tranquillo".

Pulled up to the Border station, which came up really fast after Ipiales. Parked our bikes, no "helpers" running up, big sign so we knew where to go. Nice. Just two guys who wanted to change money for us.

I can see Ecuador while waiting to get my passport stamped out of Colombia.

James in line .... They had lines to wait in.... Nice

After getting passports stamped out, we walked around the corner to the "aduana" office to sign our bikes out. Paperwork was stamped and tossed into the outgoing bin, and we were on to Ecuador in 30 minutes !

Ecuador.

We happened to hit the border crossing with many people checking in at the same time... So we had to wait but it was orderly and comfortable, just took a bit of time. No Helpers or people rushing up to us except to check out the bikes and get some photos on them. I got in line and James enjoyed the spotlight!

He is in the photo with this group. I had to smile :)

As we were let into the passport office to get stamped there were some interesting big signs.

When people put up signs it is usually for a reason.

After a 40 minute wait, we were stamped into Ecuador. Then walked to the Aduana office just down in the next building. They were very friendly! Two customs guys each one took one of our paperwork, filled out there forms on their computers and printed, stamped and Signed our Bike import for 90 days. I tried to get them to give me 180 days but they could not do it. But they were smiling and friendly! But it was a great border crossing even though it took 1 hour 45 minutes. Saw Throttlemeisters Sticker on their file cabinet

Beautiful ride into Ecuador. it was about 3 hours to Quito from the border and we did had a heavy bit of rain for about 15 minutes.

We stayed at Casa Helbling in Quito. Nice Hostel run by Claus a German guy. Place to park the Moto's.

We are staying in Quito for 5 days or so to relax, plan some of the next parts of the trip for me, Get james Camera repaired, etc. Met up with Sherry Jo and Kevin who just returned from the Galapagos and Had a great time. Was good because I had been researching this and they were helpful with information.

More of Quito follies soon.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #2318
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
That's good news! A Colombian moto shop owner that I met at the Dealer Expo this weekend strongly suggested getting the paperwork done at the Ecuador consulate in Ipiales to save time. Doesn't seem like that's necessary.

Tell James I have Rodrigo y Gabriela loaded up on my iPod for the slopes. Great stuff! The track Santa Domingo will forever remind me of you and James passing semis in Colombia. Hope I can do it justice on skis.

ˇHasta pronto!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #2319
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Radioman

Myself and GoinPostal are on our own "Little" adventure through Mexico. We're currently in Manzanillo and ran into some folks you know, Mary and Spencer (Airhead Wrangler). What wonderful helpful people, had a few beers and laughs. I feel like I'm following in your tracks (a little)!!!!

Continue to ride safe. Your "Un-Met" friend,

ADV Fool
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #2320
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
Radioman I spent some time with my 11 year old son reviewing your trip on Google Earth this morning. What a great geography lesson showing him images from your thread in addition to locations on the map.

It truly is amazing how much ground you have covered. We were laughing at some of the Idahosam pics. What a ride, stay safe.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #2321
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Mark,

I just wanted to say that as I was at the Halifax International Motorcycle Show yesterday, you were in my thoughts as I spoke with one of your Horizons Unlimited colleagues, Rene Cormier. I had met him last year at the show in Moncton and stopped by his booth to let him know how much I enjoyed his book, (which I think we discussed you had read to). We were chatting about his experiences in Central and South America and I thought of you. Its nice to see that you're still having fun and keeping the rubber side down.

Continue to ride safe and have fun!

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #2322
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 16-19th Quito

Taking some days in Quito to work on a few things.

Stayed at a good hostel Casa Helbling. Has secure parking !
http://www.casahelbling.de/

We have seen more Jugglers at lights as we rode south. They Juggle then ask for $ before the light turns green.

One of the things I really needed to do was figure out if I could extend my bikes import from 90 Days to 180 days. They would not do it at the Border but gave me the Quioto office. So I had been emailing with Throttlemeister and gpothoven. Since my Spanish is very limited, Guido agreed to go with me to Aduana office to see if could be done. We wrote a letter in Spanish, Then he drove me to customs. After finding the office and explaining all the details. They were having NONE of IT. Frustrating, as it seems simple, but they follow the rules.

Restaurant La Choris!! Had a great steak there!! Thanks Guido!!

Here is a thread for the restaurant and how to get there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517956

Yummy Best steak I have had in a long time!! I recommend you plan to stop here and get a bit to eat!! Say Hola from Radioman!

cool painted walls as well!

Big Thanks to Guido for going out of his way to help me try and get the extension. The ADV riders that I have met have been amazing to me and really makes this kind of travel fun. You feel like you have help everywhere!!

Here is Guido and his wife as they run the restaurant! Great place. I will be back again soon!

After this failed attempt with Customs, I had to get a trip out to the Galapagos sorted out. Have a friend from Portland flying down to go with me to the islands, so I worked out a 6 day/5 night trip on a good boat, then all the other arrangements for a March trip to the Galapagos. Not a cheap trip, but will be an awesome experience. Sheri Jo and Kevin just returned and had an amazing experience snorkling adn diving with Sea lions, Sharks and many other animals! Said it was fantastic!

After all that was done, James and I needed to go to a Moto shop for Oil and some other stuff. Quickly found Court at Freedom and he was great about helping us locate places!! and gave us some good routing information.

http://freedombikerental.com/

Thanks Court!!

We get to this place.

and they had a great selection of parts and gear. One of the biggest we have seen since Medellin. I actually purchased a Metal Chain guard as my original Plastic one was rattling around and making noise on the rough roads.

They had this poster up, and thought of Mr Cobb!

As we walked in Hector walks up to James and says "you must be the Famous James" He had seem our bikes at Casa Helbling and James has a sticker on his tail bag that says Famous James. Was funny

Hector is a great guy who is working here in Ecuador. Was thinking about buying a KTM 990... But said he needed a push ..... So I did my best

Next day ..... He buy this used one! (blaming me ) Ride safe Hector!!

We met up with Sheri Jo and Kevin at Vista Hermosa Restaurant in Old town for a great dinner and amazing view of the old town.

James was having fun goofing around in the lobby.

After meeting up with Hector, we decided to Celebrate his new KTM 990 Purchase, and went to a great Italian restaurant near the Hostel.

Including a wonderful Tiramisu

Sunday James and I road up to Mitad Del Mundo to sit on the Equator. It is a touristy park but we are on the Equator!

First a photo with Hector and his new bike!

Mitad Del Mundo

James Holding the world in his hand.

Yup we are tourists.

The big Monument

Yea, Max was here too!

And as we were leaving the park.... BBQ guinea pig

On our way back to Quito we had lots of traffic as it was really heavy. It is a holiday weekend!

As we got back near our Hostel be saw a few Harleys at a coffee shop So we stopped to say hello!

As we were talking, the dark clouds rolled in, and the rain starts!!

couple of the guys got up and tried to put there bikes under the Police cover.

But the police came over and told them to move

These were great guys! Very Friendly!!

And a few notes on Ecuador! Gas is cheap $2.10 for Premium.

We have found that in Quito it is a big city and it has a bit of an uneasy feel as far as safety goes. You just have to be careful with everything. Lots of petty theft. Just have to be aware. Not a real issue for us, but you need to be on guard!

Lots more to tell But another rider Clark White just pulled in, and we need to catch up.

Radioman screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 04:29 PM
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #2323
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Mark
Aside from your overall 5 star quality report and pictures, I really appreciate the time that you are taking to include links to hostels, bike shops and important markers for folks following. Great job and very much appreciated.
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #2324
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cyclepath" View Post
Radioman I spent some time with my 11 year old son reviewing your trip on Google Earth this morning. What a great geography lesson showing him images from your thread in addition to locations on the map.

It truly is amazing how much ground you have covered.
It is so awesome that you are taking the time to teach your son, by checking out the geography!!
Know he will really expand his knowledge!

It has been amazing to watch the landscapes change through my windscreen!

Mark

Radioman screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 03:56 PM
Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #2325
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Way to go Mark... talking Hector into that 990 couldn't have been to difficult

Looks like my 07

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote