Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #2356
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Very nice video, the buildings and surounding areas made it feel as thought we had gone back in time. I also like how your Spainish seamlessly ties in with your English as you are speaking with the local people. The lessons where a great idea.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #2357
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
I also like how your Spainish seamlessly ties in with your English as you are speaking with the local people. The lessons where a great idea.
Have just basic spanish. Wish I truly was fluent.... Would be great.

My video was more focused on the overall travel not just the motorcycle riding ....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #2358
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,806
So after reading this I've been thinking, "Hey, you're learning Spanish, why not take a trip like this on day?" Well, apparently Montezuma got wind and ordered a pre-emptive strike so I've been up all night. Watched this video and was actually smiling for the first time in 11 hours. Gracias.

Now, does anyone else other than me want to hear James do an impression of Wallace and Gromit?

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #2359
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 688
Great vid Mark. Watching it was a great way to wake up this morning. I feel rejuvenated now! (I was un-juvenated before )
dave&cee
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #2360
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Now, does anyone else other than me want to hear James do an impression of Wallace and Gromit?
I laughed out loud. Will work on this with James, but of Course Gromet does not talk

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #2361
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 27th Cuenca. Still Here !

Woke up today and it was raining really hard. The good thing about long term travel is that I have no schedule. Have been working on some plans and it has been good to have some time here with not too much planned!

Saturday we went to a local Market to pick up some fresh pasta, fruit etc. Always interesting to check out the local areas.

many of the ladies were dress in traditional outfits with there hats!

Lots of bulk grains, pasta and rice. Cost us .70 cents for Pasta for three.

Basket of Chocolate "ribbons"

This woman was amazing as she sold us some. When we tried it after we got back, it was not sweet chocolate, but for cooking.

We went downtown for dinner and enjoyed the 3 new Royal Enfields sitting along the curb.

We had dinner at La Vin. Great food!! Goofy riding buddies!

Sunday Morning i went to a church service that was in english. I met a guy in a shop and he asked if I wanted to go, and gave me the information. For me, It was great to go to church!

Service was in English and I appreciated being there. The music was uplifting and I met some people that live here now. Gary and Sue even added a post about "radioman" on their own blog. Was great to get to go out to lunch with them and some other expat's now living in Cuenca! Was an encouragement and blessing to meet them. Here is a link to there blog and they wrote a book about being an expat living in Ecuador. Sure it would be helpful to people looking to move here!

http://www.thegaithers.blogspot.com/

Clark had headed off this Am to ride into Peru as he needs to arrive in Lima to meet up with his Girlfriend and couple of Friends. Was great riding with him for a few days!

As part of traveling in a foreign country you always need to get Cash. Ecuador uses USD $ which seems strange to be here and using USD. We have had many ATM machines with limits of $100 per transaction so you have to get to them often. The other thing that is funny is that they give you $20.00 Bills and sometimes the small shops do not have change for $10.

With another day to do some video editing and internet stuff, we also had time to explore some local ruins of an old society.

At breakfast enjoyed this guy carrying his brooms to be sold.

and some local ladies heading into town.

We also saw a guy on a Tenere 660 with British plate ride by, but we were too slow to flag him down. Not sure who he is??

Radioman screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 12:51 PM
Old 02-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #2362
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 481
Video

glad to see you've begun to approach the locals with the camera rolling. LOVED the way the home town rolls off the native tongue. Really like the music too, another A+
Old 02-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #2363
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Oddometer: 186
Radioman.
Can't say enough about the posts,photos,and your view on life!
Did I miss something here? Where is Young James posting his stuff at?
Saw him working on his lap top,well it looked like he was resting his eye's at time,
Ride Safe.Safe Ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #2364
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilama View Post
Did I miss something here? Where is Young James posting his stuff at?
He has a blog but is way behind. He likes working on Videos and I have linked to them through the thread and on page one.

http://www.cantweallridealong.com/

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #2365
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Excellent RR Mark!! Love the market, the food, the bikes (of course! Enfields! nice!) and the wonderful scenery!! (Still Jealous!)

Still in! (and riding along in spirit!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #2366
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #2367
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Thank you for your continued work on the RR. Having gone to church most have been refreshing I know it is for me. Good pics and story as always. Can't wait for the next installment.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #2368
miguelitro
Chuchaki

Oddometer: 830
dont know if you'll see this before heading this way but the banco pichincha in san vicente gives up to 500 usd if your bank allows and there are numerous banks in bahia de caraqueza before the bridge. there is nothing here in canoa.
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #2369
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,849
Whew.... Finally caught up! 159 pages with 2.382 post of the best videos, photos and narrative of any RR!!!
Ride On Mark!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #2370
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 28th Cuenca to Manta.

We headed out of Cuenca over the Las Cajas National park toward the coastal plains. We have been up at 7-8K since arriving into Ecuador as Quito and Cuenca are in the Mountains.

Over the pass and then down the other side had some really great roads.

Young James is the little dot in the first little "s" turn. Great stretch of road, then we were on and off in the clouds.

Was 40 degree F at the top and almost 90 degrees as soon as we go down into the coastal plains.

As we rode, I somehow had my small waterproof Camera come loose from it's mounted spot. Never felt it go...... But lost it somewhere north of Guayaquil .... Hope someone finds it and get to use it. Lost some photos of Xavier who was the great guy who run the Alternative Hostel. and some good shots from the road. Bummer. Will need to replace this but have not seen any of these cameras on Central or South America. Used this camera a great deal of the time so I will miss it. I still have my 4/3rds Digital Camera so I will make it work.

We rode into Manta which is a Port town, and neither of us really liked it. Stayed in a small hotel, that we called our "prison cell" for the night, then would move along to Canoa in the morning.

Had a front headlight go out, but fortunately I carry spares.

We rode through some really heavy rain in Guayaquil and both of hit a path of very slippery stuff had the bikes sliding around, but we powered out

Loved the name of this little town. (pronounced "hippy hopa")

We road about 240 miles today on mostly really good roads. As we got out near the coast there was lots of flooding in some of the small towns. Photos in my lost camera

Radioman screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 02:25 PM