Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #2401
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Awesome RR! I really thank you for taking me with you on this amazing trip. I am an ol fart but learned a lot about the US, Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador etc. Brilliant!

You live the dream many others (including myself) have, even when the reason for your decision was a very sad one. I'd bet that even if I could afford such a trip would not have the balls to try. Its amazing me that you go and have no target and you are not looking for something, you just go and see what happens. One can see that the further you go the less you are planning and I think that is a good thing. Its a pity that Idahosam isnt joining you as I really like the guy, think he is a cool and funny guy and he has my respect for joining you quite a while (and no one thought that you are his dad)
Thanks Steve for the very thoughtful Post and comments!! Appreciate you taking the time to read and then comment. It has been an awesome adventure so far, and will continue to be

Stay tuned. Hope you feel better and lose a little weight in the process While on the road I am averaging about two solid meals a day, and feel great losing a bit of weight myself!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #2402
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Just though this was funny.

With all the stuff on the internet.... Seen too many versions of this, so I just simplified it

As we grow older in our minds we are still young. As I ride, and hanging out in hostels, I realize things have changed a bit in the past 20 + years

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #2403
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
I must say I am enjoying James videos more and more. Very nice work.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #2404
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cyclepath" View Post
I must say I am enjoying James videos more and more. Very nice work.
He does good work for sure. He spends a fair amount of time editing the footage to get what he wants to show!

Thanks for taking the time and telling Young James you like his work.

As a matter of fact his is working on editing another one right now.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #2405
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Thanks Steve for the very thoughtful Post and comments!! Appreciate you taking the time to read and then comment. It has been an awesome adventure so far, and will continue to be

Stay tuned. Hope you feel better and lose a little weight in the process While on the road I am averaging about two solid meals a day, and feel great losing a bit of weight myself!
Thanks Mark, will sure follow your RR : Forgot two things... first, getting a tube into the rear tire was sure a very good idea as now you have all advantages of a tube and there are almost no disadvantages...
Second, did you experience any problems caused by poor gas (low octane)? Think the F8 needs 95 octane... and I remember that I've read that you used low octane fuel at least once....

Keep on riding

Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #2406
scarter435
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Like so many others, I came across this RR only recently, and have spent the better part of the last two days reading and savoring every entry. I served in the Peace Corps near Popayan many (many) years ago, so your posts and videos about Colombia were particularly good; I only wish you'd had a chance to visit Cali.

Colombia - and the Colombians - are doing very well, and I'm glad to see it.

Thanks for the incredible job.
scarter435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #2407
Nateman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Actually, Mark, as I follow your report you seem to appear younger as the ride continues on. Probably related to less and less stress everyday, and of course the perfect climate.

Quote:
With all the stuff on the internet.... Seen too many versions of this, so I just simplified it

As we grow older in our minds we are still young. As I ride, and hanging out in hostels, I realize things have changed a bit in the past 20 + years

Nateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #2408
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
Hahahaha! Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateman View Post
Actually, Mark, as I follow your report you seem to appear younger as the ride continues on. Probably related to less and less stress everyday, and of course the perfect climate.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #2409
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:

Has to grow older != has to grow up.....
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #2410
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 513

In order: Who I think I am; who I used to be and some old git with a beard and a mortgage
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 AM   #2411
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
In order: Who I think I am; who I used to be and some old git with a beard and a mortgage

Radioman screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 06:08 AM
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #2412
Radioman OP
Moto rider

March 5th-8th Quito

On a long journey like this one, there are times that you need a break. We decided to hang out in Quito for a 5-6 days. We had a few things we needed to take care of and though it would be good to miss the weekend traffic in a few of the spots we are going to ride to next week.

James had a tire that he plugged in Columbia but it started leaking. So we decided it probably needed an inside plug. We stopped by and asked Court at Freedom Riders and he directed us down the street to a moto shop. It is one of the times I really missed my camera The owner of the shop looked at the tire, spoke with his mechanic and told us that it needed to go to a nearby tire shop. He called an older gentleman over, who promptly started rolling the rim and tire down the street.

Off he went rolling the tire down the sidewalk, across the street right through the middle of people.... He was fast. Quito is over 9,000 feet and we had a hard time keeping up. Would have made a great video Missing my camera for sure!

Got to the repair shop (photos later when we go back with a camera). Nice neat little shop. The guy looked at it and got right to work. Once he got the tire off, you could see a large nail. Not sure if it was from the first tire puncture or just happened to hit right near the plug? He took care of the tire patch, and then the "little guy" grabbed the rim a dn tire, and started off down the street. We had a real good laugh. I will forever have a vision of the guy roiling it along and James trying to keep up..

Here he is after he wheeled it back to our hostel (and he wanted no money for helping us! We tried ) You can see how big James looks next to him. Imagine the scene; as two big white guys are chasing after him down the street while he rolled this repaired rim and tire

Both James and I started feeling bad yesterday and had soreness all over, fever and sniffles. We took a trip to the grocery store to get some cold meds, and food. Was bummed when they do not sell soup like Chicken noodle or Tomato .... Had to settle for some really bad chinese noodles in a styrofoam cup. Slept most of the day and will take today to rest as well. First time I have had any sort of cold on the trip.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #2413
mopulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Radioman. You Ivan and Liz in Asheville here. Look in your map at where "Alangasi" is. It is about 40 minutes from Quito. My family has a little farm there. A beautiful place that you can stay at. Dad just built some really nice cottages that he is renting out for quite a good rate; and he is a retired doc... so you will be in good hands with nice herbal medications from the farm as well as traditional stuff if you want it.

Send me a PM if interested. I will get you all in contact.
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #2414
stonecold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Radioman hope you get some rest and feel better.

If you need somebody to run to Costco and FedEx you a Camera I would be happy to do it.

Serious offer. I can only imagine how shit it would be to be without a camera.
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #2415
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
Radioman hope you get some rest and feel better.

If you need somebody to run to Costco and FedEx you a Camera I would be happy to do it.

Serious offer. I can only imagine how shit it would be to be without a camera.
Thanks for the generous offer!

I will have a new camera that is arriving to me in just 10 days. I have another digital SLR with me too, but I do not always carry it with me