Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #2701
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

Ahem.

Its Monday night. PLEASE don't keep us (me) in suspense any longer. I'm on duty in the morning and I NEED my beauty sleep.

Ok OK

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #2702
Radioman OP
Moto rider

April 15th.

The surprise was making a new connection with the Kids of Mrs S's 4th Grade class in Roseville who sent me the most amazing artwork. I decided as I was about to ride to the ADV gathering near Brookings Oregon that I was more than half way there

So I contacted Icecreamsoldier whom I have been in contact with since my visit with his family and Mrs's S 4th grade class. It has been an awesome connection to share this Adventure with the Kids. Lots to learn about Geography, other people and cultures and most importantly about Life.

I also got to see my Nephew who moved to Sacramento since I have been traveling. It was great to see him!

Sunday Night I arrived to Casa ICS .... They had a full weekend as one son was on the state championship Hockey team, the other made the Select Soccer team, and Vanessa was qualifying for Gymnastics.... But they made time for a visit. Have really really enjoyed getting to know all of them, and it felt like coming home !

We did not tell the kids, even ICS daughter that I was visiting so we knew it would be a surprise

We had a great dinner! (candlelit no less!) and stayed up talking way too late

Before dinner, Radioman had the pleasure of playing a few games of floor hockey with Vanessa.

After Dinner, Vanessa cooked some Snickerdoodles They were yummy!! Thx V

Nope they did not last long!

The next morning Pablo was up early and making breakfast! What a host!

Then we geared up for our ride to school....

Radioman has an Artroom set aside to set up for the surprise!

Love this sign. Felt that it was very true!

Yup Surprised the Kids Then had the chance to talk about the ride.

Sharing some highlights, lessons learned and hopefully a few words of Wisdom

Very Serious stuff :loll

Mrs S 4th grade class! What a pleasure to see all of you again!! and as we gathered we covered up my GS...

After the classroom, I rode this bike to their classroom, and of course. The kids needed to sit on the bike.

After the great time with the kids..... It was back on the road. Pablo took me on a little ride before I rode north.

Hummmm Two "idiots" visit Smartsville.

Yup we took a trip to Smartsville!! Hope something rubbed off :loll

Cannot tell you how much this time meant to me! It was great to be welcomed into their classroom to share this journey!

The other bonus of the trip was that on my way north I was able to meet up with jbcaddy from ADV. He is caring for his father who has Alzheimer's Disease. My heart goes out to him and his family as they walk this road called the "long Goodbye". We have been interacting for awhile about all the trials and difficulties of Caregiving. It is an Honor to met Jan as he has taken on the roll of caregiver. It is so cool to see Men take on the responsibilities of life and do it well!

Heading back north to PDX. I fly to DC on Thursday to carry on the fight against Alzheimer's Disease.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 06:36 AM
Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #2703
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Hey Mark.....how did it feel to ride the old big beast again after the nimble 800?
I love my 1150. Feels great to ride!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #2704
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
The surprise was making a new connection with the Kids of Mrs S's 4th Grade class in Roseville who sent me the most amazing artwork. I decided as I was about to ride to the ADV gathering near Brookings Oregon that I was more than half way there

Got something in my eye after reading this post... You Rock, Mark. Awesome!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #2705
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,506
Quote:
This Site is great! Thanks DC Awesome to connect with other riders around the globe is so cool!

PS: will be in DC end of the week for a week. Participating in an Alzheimer's Advocacy event on Capital hill. Radioman switches helmet and MotoPort Gear for Suit and Tie to meet with Senators and Congressmen from Oregon to continue the fight against Alzheimer's disease. The 5th killer in the US and the only major disease with no treatment of Cure.

Thanks for all you do to help fight this terrible disease. Have a good trip to DC.

The surprise visit to Mrs. S's 4th grade class is so cool. I'll bet those kids were thrilled to see you. Way to go
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #2706
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,107
WOOAH! Just checking Mark, I been out, and I can see you are one busy guy. You'll have to get back out on the road so you can slow down again Really glad to see you what you do best, enlightening all those around you!

This is really awesome

Those kids are GGGGreat. (as Tony would say) and that you went on down to surprise them in person; I bet that was precious.

May 15th is demarcation. I'll be watching.

Take care Amigo.. GO RADIOMAN, GO

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #2707
Angry Wookie
Running On Fumes

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
This Site is great! Thanks DC Awesome to connect with other riders around the globe is so cool!

PS: will be in DC end of the week for a week. Participating in an Alzheimer's Advocacy event on Capital hill. Radioman switches helmet and MotoPort Gear for Suit and Tie to meet with Senators and Congressmen from Oregon to continue the fight against Alzheimer's disease. The 5th killer in the US and the only major disease with no treatment of Cure.
Hi Radioman Just got caught up on the RR. Your adventures and captivating writing never cease to amaze me. Give me a shout if there's a ADV gathering for you in DC, it'd be great to see you again.

Seth
Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #2708
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 478
Ok, a couple thoughts,

First of all, IdahoSam...... Glad you like the pictures, you are the focus of a couple of "keepers"

Also...... regarding the "surprise" element of RadioMan's arrival at the school.... I had to sign him in at the attendance office and right off the bat, we see a kid from Mrs. S's class.......... He looks us over and I say..... " do you know who this is?" He grimaces, twists his face in deep thought, then blurts out...... " He's RadioMan!!!!" "Ok," I say, " nobody knows he's here except Vanessa, you have to keep this a secret" He agreed, but I took his backpack and shoes hostage

Next was getting him unseen to the Art Room which is a portable classroom about 30 yards from Mrs. S's classroom. That went great. After looking over the presentation venue, RadioMan realizes he needs some cords from his moto, now about 150 yards from our safe house. I tell him he has about 10 minutes and off he goes. After he's gone I realize that there is a chance when the class is on the Bridge over the River Kwai march from the playground to the classroom that they might see him coming back from the moto. I leave the safe house and then I see the class marching around the corner....... I look over to where the moto is parked, about 150 yards of open ground between a baseball outfield and a soccer field. I flee behind a dumpster corral......... I try to signal Radioman with arm waves......but I've been spotted wearing my riding gear.......... Radioman is caught in open ground !!!! I wave and point and he "gets it" that the kids marching by are Mrs. S's class !! But, our hero is about 6'3" and all ATGATT makes him bigger. He tries to hide behind his little 5" diameter blue cord purse.............. It was like Yeti trying to hide behind a pine cone

So, he went on the art room and I went in to collect the class after attendance and the lunch menu was secured........ lots of kids were turning around to look at me with sparkles in their eyes.

Radioman has given these kids a great gift and I'm sure many of them didn't think they'd ever see him again after the first visit, way back on day one of this epic journey.

Finally, I hope a few of you are there are at the "Legends of ADVrider Rally" in Salida,CO in 2027 when some young woman comes up to Mark and says.......... " Are you Radioman?" And after he confirms, she says......... " yeah, you talked to my 4th grade class........ I just got back from Ushaia.......... are you up for a ride tomorrow "
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #2709
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
Finally, I hope a few of you are there are at the "Legends of ADVrider Rally" in Salida,CO in 2027 when some young woman comes up to Mark and says.......... " Are you Radioman?" And after he confirms, she says......... " yeah, you talked to my 4th grade class........ I just got back from Ushaia.......... are you up for a ride tomorrow "
I just love the artwork, and the sharing with the kids. Very special.

It was good to see you Mark, if ever so briefly, at the end of the Alley Sweeper, Laura and I are excited for what lies ahead for you!

This is indeed the good stuff. I am sure Chris is looking down smiling upon you.

The Good Stuff.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #2710
motokeith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I've been following your adventures all this time and you end up being one street over from my house in Roseville. I'm right around the corner from that school. Kind of surreal.
motokeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #2711
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsoldier View Post

finally, i hope a few of you are there are at the "legends of advrider rally" in salida,co in 2027 when some young woman comes up to mark and says.......... " are you radioman?" and after he confirms, she says......... " yeah, you talked to my 4th grade class........ I just got back from ushaia.......... Are you up for a ride tomorrow "
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #2712
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,378
Fantastic description ICS. Love it.

Want pix of Mark and his purse.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #2713
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
It was good to see you Mark, if ever so briefly, at the end of the Alley Sweeper, Laura and I are excited for what lies ahead for you!

This is indeed the good stuff. I am sure Chris is looking down smiling upon you.

The Good Stuff.
to Paul and Laura! was great to see you both even for a short time!

Radioman screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 11:58 AM
Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #2714
vomit breath
n00b

Oddometer: 1
You put 100K miles on your GS 1150 (mostly North America miles), then switched to the F800 (South America miles) for your trip. You are a big guy; i wonder how you compare the two bikes for comfort, ride, performance, fit, etc. On your postings you meet other riders with every size bike (250cc to the GSA 1200); would you make the same choice all over again. Thanks, i have enjoyed following you on your journey.
vomit breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #2715
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
I am so pleased to see so many folks using your thread to post for the first time!

You inspire so many. I was really moved by the paintings the children made for you, and so happy you got to surprise them. I wonder how many of them will one day ride their "hovercycle" (or what ever the latest technology brings) around the world because of you?