User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #3286
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 153
Radioman Theme Song?

I date this music a bit, but this was kind of catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kK9Bpc7zdQ
Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #3287
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
I date this music a bit, but this was kind of catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kK9Bpc7zdQ
Have a buddy working on a song....

Mark

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #3288
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Departing India......

As my Trip in India came to a close, I have to really thank CJ, Richa and Ida Sofia for such helping me so much on setting up this ride, bike rentals, and hospitality while in Delhi. The past year I have been on the road I have been in so many hotels and hostel, that staying with a family is a real treat!!

Words do not describe my gratitude...

Jumped in a cab and headed for the airport..... Waving goodbye from the street!

Huge airport as I arrive at the International gate with lots of time to get checked in and relax before my flight.

I arrived at the international terminal and I had booked my flights on Delta. All good on the flight to Delhi, as I was on one of the partner airlines KLM. But on my return they had me on Air India for the first leg, then Air France on the second leg..... So I arrive, had to get my itinerary printed out as I had not done it ahead of time. Of course they would not let me into the terminal without the print out But found the "visitor" entrance and some airline offices ..... when to air India office thinking I am flying out with them. Reasonable. They took a long time and basically said they have no record of my ticket in their system? Went to KLM desk, and they were able to print out my emailed itinerary, so I head for the Air India counter to see what they can tell me....... Again long questioning look, and the gate agent, told me to wait and off she went. Another Manager comes over to ask if I need help, and I am a bit exasperated.... He says" no need to be upset" .... you americans get upset :loll After 45 minutes they say that they do not have the ticket in their system, so it did not get transfer right.... But there is NO Delta counter.... Finally figure out that KLM desk will be the one to handle it....Wait for them to open as they do not have a flight until later.

KLM service desk was great, they printed new paperwork out, said this should work. Back I go. NO still no record. Back to KLM service desk, they guy sees me and brings me to the front, and I tell them the saga. He finally rebooks me on a double connection with KLM through Amsterdam..... One of those times that lots of patience is needed as they work it all out.

So once in past security and finding my gate..... I have a bit of time to kill. and I see this place.

Looks like a good way to spend a few hours before my 23 hours of flying....

The Pod has a bed, desk, tv. fan.....

I take a 2 hour nap..... then get to my gate to board my flight back to the Good Old USA.

Some Big artwork in the airport...

Up Up and Away.....

Great views watching the sun come up.

Airports have some cool architecture....

Then back into the USA. I am stopping to see a friend in Florida on my way to Portland. Will update this thread soon with a recap and thoughts on India...

So stay tuned......

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #3289
Aron31
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Those sleep pods sure are cool. Never seen anything like that before. Look forward to you getting back down to the bike and getting to Antarctica. Really looking forward to some pics of the penguins. I am super jealous of your trip. I hope to be lucky enough to get to do something even remotely this cool.

My 2008 Klr 650 (orange)
Wife's 2008 Klr 650 (red)
Aron31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #3290
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,549
Welcome back! (when you are)

Thanks for the ride thru India.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #3291
lm248
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
What he said
Les
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #3292
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMSP View Post
Welcome back! (when you are)

Thanks for the ride thru India.

Thanks!! Has your husband forgiven me yet for encouraging him to ride to the top of Engineer pass?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #3293
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
I am super jealous of your trip. I hope to be lucky enough to get to do something even remotely this cool.
As I read the other day in iDaves Thread, as he and Julie met an older gentleman and his wife on the road. I'll paraphrase the thought for you as I think it really applies!.

If you really are dreaming about something. Do It! Life is really short. So my encouragement is to dream, set a goal and then you will figure out how to achieve it! Don't give up on it. But be clear, they can change, grow, and morph as life changes, that is part of the "adventure".

Thanks for the comment. Hope my ride will inspire you to "live your dream"!!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #3294
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,662
Finally all caught up.
You do such an awesome job on your ride reports.
I hope to be able to spend some time with you while you are stateside.
Thanks for sharing.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #3295
Jibby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Wow

Okay... Now I can get on with my life.

I have been reading the RMRTW trip report for the last week or so. To say it's been cutting into my productivity is an understatement.

Your attitude towards life and all its challenges is inspiring. I share your love of ADV style experiences but I can safely say that you have mucho mas grande cajones than I. Though yours is the first RTW trip report I have read that makes me want to try to on any level.

I stumbled upon your thread about your wife's Alzheimer's a few month ago. My sincere condolences. My mother has been deteriorating for last few years to dementia not related to Alzheimer's but just as sad to witness. She was such a strong and intelligent woman in her day. Through hard work and intelligence, she worked her way up to become VP with in her industry. She was so valued at what she did, she worked as a highly paid consultant for years after retirement. She now can't remember my name most of the time.

Anyway, I have really enjoyed your spirit, enthusiasm and guts as you travel both literally and figuratively on this new chapter in your life. It's not likely that our paths would cross while on this particular journey. Just know, in the coming years, I will keep my eyes open for the opportunity to meet you and buy you a beverage of your choice.

Be safe and know that this online community has produced you another friend sight unseen.

Keep jumping,

Jibby.
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #3296
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Thanks!! Has your husband forgiven me yet for encouraging him to ride to the top of Engineer pass?
Yes, he has forgiven you and I both. Teeheehee.

Just the other day, before he left on his current ride around WY an MT,,, how that was only one of four times, when I have waited or had been waiting for his return from a ride. (whoops, my bad!)

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #3297
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 405
like a great novel

just could not put it down...wife thought something wrong in computer room...extremely entertaining and a vast resource of traveling knowledge gained.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #3298
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Recap of riding in india!!

As I rode I had lots of thoughts about my ride in India. Thought I would post them as I have finished my time in India, and it was really great!!

People have been amazing. As I have only traveled a small part of northern India, but the diversity of the people has been amazing. With 1.2 Billion people in India, it seems like there is almost always people out and about no matter what time it is, until you get into the Himalayas and then the spaces seem so vast and empty (which I truly loved!!)

Religions. There are Hindus, Bhuddist, Sikhs, Muslims, Christians, jewish people, and they seem to be able to coexist well at the time. Know that has not always been the history, but that is how I saw it.

Himalayas: The reason I have always wanted to come to India was to see the Himalayas Mountains. For me the ride from Manali to Leh was Stunning to say the least!! And fit my expectations perfectly. It was worth it for sure. Wish I would have had a bit more time, and been able to also ride the Spiti Valley but it was still closed due to snow slides.

Money: the Rupees was 54 to 1 USD, so you are always doing math to figure out what the cost is in Dollars. Finding ATM machines was not really an issue, in the bigger towns.

Bike: I loved riding the Royal Enfield despite the mechanical issues. If I were to do it again, I probably would have just bought a new one, then sold it. With the rental you needed to put down a deposit, which for me was $750 USD. I had not really planned ahead with my money (normally I have been using the ATM to get money as needed), otherwise I would have brought USD, Used them for the deposit, then gotten them back when I returned so I would not have to take out lots of cash at an ATM (and pay fees) or then exchange Rupees back to Dollars (and paid fees) ☹

Dirt, trash and Air quality

Trash is one of the issues that strike you as you travel around India. People just toss things out of Cars, trucks, and buses, or while walking down the street. There is trash everywhere, and you see it burning along side of the road as well. It is a cultural thing. It was hard to see especially in the pristine areas up in the mountains and out goes the trash. Saw a few signs about the environment and trash bins that say “use me”, but it appear early in the campaign to stop littering. Remindd me of the campaigns back in the 1970's in the US with the Native American and a tear coming down his face, encouraging us to stop littering. With all the people and traffic comes dirt pollution. At the end of a riding day my face was covered in black…. Can only imagine what my lungs have taken in…

Relations with Men and Women

Was interesting learning about the “arranged” marriages and Love Marriages here in India. The men and women do not show public affection. But it was interesting speaking with Western woman who would be harassed by Indian men, because they somehow think they are available or loose. Had one British woman tell me she got tired of it and started really telling them off. Some of the young women travelers do not help the issue as they dress like they would at home and it is way more revealing than Indian women.

Topics of conversations with people that I met alone the road. Was amazed at how many people asked us about WWE Wresting stars. They are huge fans here. Of course Cricket and football are really big here as well.

Driving: Love it. As crazy as it all seems with trucks, auto rickshaws, carts, camels, elephants, cars and motorcycles, I loved riding here. There is a bit of a flow as long as you use your horn, and pay attention. The only thing that is a bit scary is the people entering the road from the side. They do not stop nor really look. Crazy as they just enter and traffic flows around them with a horn blast.

Time of year: HEAT in the plains was too much for me. 45-47C in Amritsar and similar in Delhi. If I was traveling to see other parts of India it was the wrong time. I planned the timing to be in the Himalayas. October/November would b more ridable for the plains!!

Riding with someone else. Really was great to have MoBill along for the ride. Probably would have been good to be riding with someone the whole time especially with the bike issues. But the key is another rider(s) that have similar agenda's and temperament!

And Double Rainbows.....

And as Always the people that I had the fortune of interacting with along the road, really make traveling amazing... and I am grateful for these moments!!

And it is always amazing how people will help you when you need it.....

So ...... Final Thought. LOVED INDIA!!!

And of course Cj, Richa and Ida Sofia were wonderful ambassadors for India and great friends for hosting both MoBill and Me!! !

Will be working on a checklist and "how to Ride the Himalayas in India"

Radioman screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 09:27 AM
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #3299
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,018
For all you youngsters on here, This is the video Mark talks about of the crying Indian. It came out on the 2nd Earth day in 1971

[/CODE]
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #3300
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
Be safe and know that this online community has produced you another friend sight unseen.

Keep jumping,

Jibby.
Thanks Jibby. Appreciate the comments!! Will do my best to keep jumping!!