Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #4261
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,205
Antarctica Expedition experiences

Antarctica Expedition experience.

How do you share a trip of the lifetime? It was in my travel plans from the beginning, and as the day of departure arrived, I was excited as I packed my gear and walked down to the pier to start this new adventure. Once again starting something new and unknown. I had booked the cheapest type of room onboard to keep the costs down, so I knew I would be in a room of 4 people. As I arrived, so did all the other 98 passengers. All with the same enthusiasm and excitement.

Up the gangway.

Get my gear in my room, pick a bunk, meet my other roommates for the journey. David from UK, Michel from Holland, Arnout from Holland. Much more on these guys as they trip unfolds, but lets just say it was great to have randomly landed in the room together!

Then up to the main lounge for our initial briefing and then safety lessons!

After all the initial information, it is off to dinner and we pull out of the pier and take the Beagle Sound toward the Drake Passage which has a reputation of being one of the roughest sea's in the world. Since I have been prone to seasickness my whole life, I am not wild about this possibility, but have take the normal precautions.

Then Dinner. It is another transition to having 3 - 3 course meals served per day.

Meet my roommates starting on the left side Aarnout, David, Michel, Suzanne (honorary Roommate from Switzerland), and Astrid from Holland who is the Ships Doctor from Holland.

This is the route that our ship the Plancius took.

The first night we started across the Drake Passage, and we had really easy crossing which is unusual…. But very glad as I can get seasick, but did not!! It changed the trip for the rest of the ship as well, as everyone was out watching the sea birds and Fin Whales. People were interacting as they got to know each other during meals and onboard. People from All over the world. Belgium, France, Poland, Holland, US, UK, Australia, Germany, Swiss, Japan, China, Switzerland. Canada, Singapore/India

Some Seabirds as we cruise south.

Our first sighting of Finn Whale.

Amazing people that all are here to experience this lifetime trip!!

Getting to the Peninsula and seeing land with snow and ice. The beauty and size gets better each day! We had an amazing time when we spotted a large group of Orca Killer Whales about 40. They were all around, swimming, blowing, diving ….. The ship was abuzz with awe and cameras snapping millions of photos ….

Really like this photo as I capture my roomate Aarnout and a whale that he did even see as he was watching others off the side of the ship.

We shared photos as others had big Digital SLR's with expensive lens.... Here is one from Suzanne! Awesome shot!

Then back inside the ship to review photos and have a nice cup of coffee.

So much more to share with you....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 07:28 AM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #4262
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 867
Very cool Mark - and Merry Christmas!

My nine year old son walked in a day or two ago, saw ADVrider, and immediately asked "so where's Radioman?".
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #4263
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Very cool Mark - and Merry Christmas!

My nine year old son walked in a day or two ago, saw ADVrider, and immediately asked "so where's Radioman?".
!! Merry Christmas!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #4264
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Antarctica Expedition experience.

So much more to share with you....

C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #4265
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,358
Great pics from the "deepest south".

Enjoy !
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #4266
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Antarctica

After two days passage we reached Antarctic Pennisula!

It was really exciting after only open ocean for two days to see Mountains and Snow ! Everyone on the ship was excited....

and a wonderfully calm sunset!

With more Whale sightings

One evening when we just sat down for dinner, we had this amazing whale watching experience as the sun was setting and we could see many whales blowing in the distance! It was a great time as they served us dinner! Cannot really capture the very excited mood of all the passengers as we shared this moment!

The the expedition got busy, as we had zodiac landings, hikes, snowshoeing, zodiac cruising and a Polar plunge!

Standing on the antarctic Continent!!

and one of the Chinstrap Penguins!

Michel captured this great shot of Penguins on the ice!!

We stopped on Deception Island to have a look around and enjoy being in the center to a Volcano that erupted and created this bay.

This chinstrap penguin was one of my favorites as he was striding along the beach.....

and other interesting things to see on the island as well.

Water boats from the old whaling station here.

The roommates I had in room 203, was a real bonus to the trip !! We laughed a great deal, and had fun with the other passengers and crew. Room 203 was known around the ship

Then it was time to a polar plunge! We had over 30 people of the 98 on board that made the plunge!

Radioman in antarctic waters (glad no Orcas were around )

Celebration!!

Our friend Suzanne from Switzerland was turning 30 on the voyage, instead of in a hostel somewhere on her own, it was great that room 203 and others on board stayed up to Midnight to start her birthday celebration!

Suzanne Celebration on the bow of the ship!! Birthday in Antarctica very cool!

We all joined her to wish her well!

On a completely different note:

On my journey to South America, I have been planning to help out a friend of mine. I met Mark in a grief class in February of 2011, as His Wife Jenni died of Cancer just before my wife Chris did in January 2011. One of her wishes was that her ashes be spread on all seven continents. It is an interesting story, as she told him that he would find people to help him with this. I have that the privilege to help..... and I have had some of her ashes with me since I left Oregon heading south since 2011.

Upon arriving in the Antarctica, I was looking for a place to be able to make this happen.

Sitting atop a mountain on the Antarctica Continent, I set her free. Said a prayer for Mark and departed wife, and was glad to be able to help fulfill a promise! It was a special moment for me, not so much for me, but for Mark and Jenni!! RIP.

(was not able to emailing him and let him know until Christmas eve, but it was great to be able to tell him this was done.)

Lots more to share........ will post later!

Radioman screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 12:20 PM
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #4267
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,134
Nothing short of amazing.

It's great to follow along and see how your journey unfolds. But seeing how you share this with others in your life is truly amazing. Carrying the remains of a loved one for a friend is an honor you carried out with love and compassion. Bravo Mark, we need more people like you in the world.

Thank you for bringing us along!
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #4268
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Wow
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #4269
busdriver803
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
The journey just keeps getting better, Thanks for taking the time to share it!!.
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #4270
Radioman OP
Moto rider

The beauty of Antarctica is amazing in sheer size and magnitude. Remember 80-90% is still underwater!

The mountains and islands are huge and very majestic !

Taking a zodiac into one of the research bases.

This is a British base

It is fun watching the penguins walk about the island.

It would have really been fun to have my bike in antarctica...... But it is not possible to get a bike on the ship anymore, so I did the next best thing! Bike parts on Antarctica!

Then off to a new place..... This is one of the Argentina Bases that we stopped in...

and a cool iceberg that is right near the landing point.

and a group hike to the top of the mountain.

As we took a zodiac ride around the bay, we look back and realize that we were sitting on top of this rock. (no guard rails, warnings or safety warnings )

Lots of penguin watching as they are keeping their eggs warm....

And Suzanne took these great photos of the penguins.

But we got to spend a fair amount of time just sitting and watching them walking on their trails.

Then back on the ship for a BBQ and big Birthday Celebration for Suzanne and one of the other passengers.

The Birthday Girls serving Cake and Champagne!

Amazing days exploring antarctica. The staff and Crew of the Plancius were great at keeping the trip interesting, sharing their love of Antarctica with all of us!

Radioman screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 04:54 AM
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #4271
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post

It would have really been fun to have my bike in antarctica...... But it is not possible to get a bike on the ship anymore, so I did the next best thing! Bike parts on Antarctica!

Awesome. This needs to be on the front page.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #4272
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,680
Wow, Mark!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #4273
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 11,515
love the new pics!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #4274
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
I've been in Mal Pais with my daughters and spotty Internet. Just had a chance to sign in and catch up. Absolutely beautiful photos Mark. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to accompany you on this journey.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #4275
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,873
Mark you story of spreading that gals ashes brought tears to my eyes. You really are a class act.

Carl
olebiker is online now   Reply With Quote