Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #4426
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Mark! Good to see you're still kickin' I've kept in touch with some of the guys from the HU meet, but lost track of you. I just got back fro Copper canyon in Mexico---where it was 27 degrees. Hope it's warmer where you are....John Nail
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #4427
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
Mark! Good to see you're still kickin' I've kept in touch with some of the guys from the HU meet, but lost track of you. I just got back fro Copper canyon in Mexico---where it was 27 degrees. Hope it's warmer where you are....John Nail
Hola john. Glad all is well. Indeed it is a nice 82 Degrees today.... sunny and warm

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #4428
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Bariloche to Buenos Aires

so on the morning on january 15, 2013 It was time for Youngest Ollie and I to go our separate ways.... We rode out of Bariloche early in the beautiful sunny and calm morning

really great morning to ride..... Youngest Ollie is still in my rearview mirror. But I know this will change very soon as we have different plans.....

We stop at the branch in the road to share a goodbye as our travels take us different places. It is part of the ride. It is change. It is hard sometimes to do, as you have had a great time traveling, riding and sharing the journey. But we do it.

We said goodbye and I knew that I had 1500 Km of flat hot road to Buenos Aires. (Youngest Ollie was headed for Pucon, Chile as he continues his ride north to Alaska! Once again we met on the road as "strangers" but shared an amazing ride up Ruta 40, His first real "crash" on Gravel and the sunny weather in Caraterra Austral. What a great time is was. I will cherish the memories! But now across Argentina....

Had to stop for gas along the way. Hum, Gas lines........ In the heat..... Was thinking how lucky we have it in the US and other parts of the world where supply of fuel has not been a real issue for 40 years.

Then many more hours of this. Not my favorite riding but opened the throttle and cruised across the plains toward the big city.

That was pretty much my ride for the day. Rode about 500 Miles which for south America was huge day. But I was just making time. Stopped about half way to Buenos Aires and found a hotel and dinner before going to bed. It was 100 Degree F and I wanted to leave early at 6 am in the cooler part of the day.

Next morning I was up early..... Has a great sunrise, and headed down the road.

Had some light rain for about an hour, but cleared as i rode east...... Was 75 degrees even in the rain! No rain gear necessary!

Finally signs for Buenos Aires....

When I was about 50Km out of the city it turns into a wide toll road but motos were free ! But a truck had taken out a sign post ... so some traffic was backing up. Buenos Aires is 7-8 Million people so it is like riding into many other big cities....

But it was fast riding into the city

But the toll roads near the city Motos had to pay. Then I exited to the centro of the city. It is 9 De Julio 6 lanes each direction passing the Eva Peron Building

Rode into town at 3:30 Pm, found the apartment that Claude had rented for a month with no issues. GPS coordinates are great!

Felt great to ride into Buenos Aires as it is the last big city of South America for me!! Weather was 88 Degree F and sunny..... Love it!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 01:47 PM
Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #4429
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Follwing along everyday! Just curious about the lineups for gas, do Motos ever move to the front of the line?
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #4430
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Follwing along everyday! Just curious about the lineups for gas, do Motos ever move to the front of the line?
Not that I have ever seen in Argentina. Happen in Bolivia but not here.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #4431
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Good to see that you are enjoying this time down there.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #4432
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
We said goodbye and I knew that I had 1500 Km of flat hot road to Buenos Aires.

It just sounded quotable.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #4433
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Buenos Aires

First night in Buenos Aires, and it was like catching up with old friends!!

Besides meeting up with Claude whom I met and stayed at our place in Ushuaia, The KIWI guys, Dick and Ken were in town to pack up their bikes as ship home. Dicks Son Gavin also joined us!

Another nice meal shared with friends!!

We had a good laugh as the New Zealand clock was not working at all, and Canada's clock was off. Claude started in and the guys adjusted the clock.

Once this was corrected.... The KIWI's started in.

We had a great time.... Even got the manager involved.... He said he would fix it if the "All Blacks" won.

Claude has been in Buenos Aires for weeks and rented an apartment so that he could take spanish, and enjoy the city for a month.

It is always fantastic to check out big cities.

What I love is that motos get a space at the front of the cars at the lights. Lane split to front and you have space!

and they have their own lights for some areas.

and moto parking everywhere

The walk signs are great. with the wide boulevards you need to walk fast to make it across

and of course great food vendors selling Empanadas, and other goodies!

I am also busy here getting my shipping of my bike sorted out. Met with Javier and Sandra from Dakar Motors.
Really nice people and very friendly!! I will be using them to air freight my bike to New Zealand early in February. More on this later.

Radioman screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 05:18 PM
Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #4434
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,519
New Zealand?!

Cool.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #4435
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,785
New Zealand in the southern Fall? No that won't be beautiful at all.

Glad to see you carrying on. Lord only knows you deserve it.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #4436
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Hey Mark. I did that road from Bariloche to BsAs in a truck with my bike in the back- frozen solid because it was stored in the trailer with frozen food.

Nice to see Javier and Sandra!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #4437
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman
We said goodbye and I knew that I had 1500 Km of flat hot road to Buenos Aires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
It just sounded quotable.
I agree Ken, reminded me of the amazing opening line from Hunter S. Thompson:

Quote:
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #4438
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 479
Rustler: Enjoyed the music video, I"m a big fan of Pete and Sheila E. Would have positioned the camera in a different spot to highlight her ass-ets however.

Mark, in addition to putting Senor Tango on your "to-do" list, if you can get a chance to see a big time futball match, do it !!! I saw Rive Platte vrs. Boca Juniors in the big stadium. I think it's the biggest in SA. Amazing stuff! The vibe and the singing, and the cheers, truly incredible. They love their soccer down there.

I am looking forward to the NZ leg of your Round the World trip. Don't know much about it...........yet....
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #4439
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
if you can get a chance to see a big time futball match, do it !!! I saw Rive Platte vrs. Boca Juniors in the big stadium. I think it's the biggest in SA. Amazing stuff! The vibe and the singing, and the cheers, truly incredible. They love their soccer down there.
Pablo Claude is going to a match tonight in a coastal town south of here, but I had made plans to visit Iguazu Falls.....

Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #4440
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
New Zealand in the southern Fall? No that won't be beautiful at all.

Glad to see you carrying on. Lord only knows you deserve it.
def still summer if he arrives in Feb