Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #4681
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs47 View Post
A good source of information on good off road routes is:

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz

I trust your aware of the DOC huts that are very cheap to use in the more remote areas.
Hope to try out a few

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #4682
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
You barely made the cut into another RR I'm following:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1324
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #4683
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,102

............ That is just damn funny; that arrow keeps you in the right, umm, I mean left. What ever it takes to keep you out of harms way..

Just got home from Death valley and trying to catch up. Wonderful pictures Mark.... Dang NZ :.................... Go Mark Go.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #4684
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post

............ That is just damn funny; that arrow keeps you in the right, umm, I mean left. What ever it takes to keep you out of harms way..

That's funny, I didn't notice that. Great idea though!!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #4685
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Dang NZ :.................... Go Mark Go.
Howdy Sam

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #4686
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Exploring the North Island .....

As I rode around the northland I stopped to see the Kauri Museum in Matakohe
It is a great museum that shared the history of this area, the Large Kauri tree and it's uses, and the Gum that the tree produced and the Gumdiggers who harvested it. Great way to spend a few hours!

The Kauri trees are huge, have straight grain and good for building ships, furniture, etc. They cut most of them down during this time in history as they provided jobs and industry until they were gone.

The museum had excellent exhibits on the lumbering process, Pioneer living conditions, industries and the people.

I took a lunch stop in Muriwal Beach

It has been in the news lately as they had a fatal Shark attack of a local man. The beach was closed because of it. Really friendly locals!

Really enjoyed the northland coastline!

I rode into Auckland Friday night and stayed with Dick and Diana again!! Like home base. So thankful for their generosity, help and friendship while in NZ! They had a dinner party with some of their neighbors, so that was fun to be included! Had some great conversations!!

Then I continued south toward Wellington. Met Ken and his mate Warwick in Taumarunui. Remember Ken from my last few Weeks riding to Ushuaia!
He is still carrying his KIWI stuff animal!!

They met me and showed me some of the areas back roads ! The sign says Gravel roads but in KIWI is is called "metal roads" (got it's name because the gravel was created while mining for Metal).... Lots of expressions that I am learning here in NZ!

Was really great for them to meet me and show me a but of the area. It included riding the forgotten world hwy to Whanfgamommona (pronounced Fangamomona)

There is a history here, as the town was to be removed from the maps, and so they declared themselves a free republic....

We stayed in the Hotel/Pub roadhouse for the evening with lots of other motorbikes. It is sort of a destination for weekend travelers. The pub was full of riders from all over the area. Was fun to hang out and chat with them. These Pubs /Hotels are farily common as part of the New Zealand history as workers needed places to stay.

Of course I need to sort out all the new words including Bloke, Jugs (pitchers of beer) , dear, Love, metal roads, Grouse, Bewdy, shout, tea, Cheers, or chuurs, Mate, chunder, loo, slash, How you going young fella, to name a few.

after dinner we were sitting in the dining area, and there were a table of 3 riders, and then 4-5 woman who were with there husband/Boyfriends (the guys had already gone to the bar)..... We look out the window and some young guy was standing out across the street "breaking the seal" one of the woman got up knocked on the window and motioned her disgust, and assaulted his manhood with a hand gesture, as we all laughed very hard!

Then another young guy did the same.... The woman did the same.... Was really funny.

Then the guy at the table next to our took it a bit too far....

Crazy KIWI experiences!

Radioman screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 11:56 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #4687
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
And there were three total.

Was such a great opportunity for so many to join in the fun !! I will say it again. I am going to get this started again when I return!
Anything I can help with when you do... Let me know.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #4688
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Featured Post

Hi Mark...just featured your RR and KLIM video on our BLOG....you are amazing and LOVE the fact you are still on the road. What gear did KLIM give you?

RADIOMAN on advgrrls BLOG
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #4689
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,753
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #4690
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
What gear did KLIM give you?
Thanks! Leslie, I am using a product that Klim is still in development. I think it will be called Adventure Mesh Air when it comes out in 2014.

Radioman screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 11:39 PM
Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #4691
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Riding south to Wellington

Headed out in the morning to explore a few "metal" roads in the area.

Of course we have to watch out for the KIWI birds!

NZ uses the large fern leaf in many promotions, signs etc. Being sub tropical, the ferns are big! Make sense now.

Ken was a great tour guide, as we stopped to look at some Maori sights.

Love the humor in the signs here.

Ken showed me the Gorge. Great views, then back to some rural roads all the way back to Wellington!

A quick stop at a roadside memorial. The US had lots of troops in NZ during WWI and WWII. The had a common saying about the american troops "over paid, over sexed, over here"

Arrived at Ken and Shirleys home in Wellington. Again the KIWI hospitality has been wonderful! Including Ken sharing his favorite ice cream called "Hokey Pokey"

Ken then gave me a great tour of Wellington. The overview

Then a great visit to the Te Papa Museum. It was amazing museum. Of course it had to start with some Lord of the Rings stuff.

Then the large Maori History section, which was great to understand the treaty a little better, and how the country started! Also some wonderful information about Maori culture

Learning about the Greenstone.

Then some other history of NZ, including the unique Britten. Sort of sums up the life of New Zealanders, and tinkering at it's finest.

The next day we rode out to see the southward car Museum

Lots of cool cars, and motorbikes!!

Then back to Wellington. It was Census day in NZ. So I did my civic duty and filled out the census as a visitor!

http://radioman.smugmug.com/Other/Ri...IMG_1663-L.jpg

Joining Ken and Shirley in there Morning breakfast, reading of the paper and the daily 5 minute quiz from the newspaper.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #4692
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Heading to the south Island.

Leaving Wellington early in the morning!

Taking a ferry for 3 hours to get there!

Boarding the ferry.

As I walked upstairs for the journey to south Island, I started talking to a KIWI couple on a 12ooGSA . Tony and Kyra were very friendly!! They were headed to Queenstown for a marathon (one walking, one running the race!) We had a great chat during the trip!! hope your weekend went well!

All the bikes getting ready to ride!

I decided to ride south down through The molesworth Station which is the largest farm in NZ. It was a gravel road (mostly) 120 miles or so. Beautiful and remote as a saw very few other vehicles.

Been very dry in NZ and everything is brown, with high fire danger.

Great ride....

Some gates crossing the station

Some great clouds forming along the way

wonderful ride!

Just a few small water crossings but they were very low... These could be deep with more rain!

Then the last 14KM to Hanmer Hotsprings

Radioman screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 11:45 PM
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #4693
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 274
Radio, you going to get to see any of Burt Monroe's history while there? His home, motorcycles, where he pee'd on the fruit trees? rj in Walla Walla ,WA
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #4694
Teager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
radio, you going to get to see any of burt monroe's history while there? His home, motorcycles, where he pee'd on the fruit trees? rj in walla walla ,wa
+1
Teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #4695
Revs47
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Burt and John's home built Kiwi bikes

Make sure you visit E Hayes and Sons hardware shop on Dee Street in Invercargill. Norman Hayes was a friend of Burt Munro and some of Burt's bikes are on display at the back of the family run hardware shop.

http://www.ehayes.co.nz/burt-munro/

The Britten V1000 that you show in one of the photos taken at Te Papa in Wellington is another example of Kiwi ingenuity. Cycle World magazine featured it on their cover over 20 years ago noting that the world's most advanced motorcycle wasn't from Japan, Europe or the US, but was made in a shed in Christchurch, New Zealand, designed and mostly built by one man.

The bike won the world twin cylinder championship and at Daytona, where I can still remember Andrew Stroud passing the works Ducatis down ther straight on the back wheel such was its spoeed advantage.

The links below are very worthwhile checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_aNwaodd4

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...s-the-britten/

Unfortunately, John died very shortly after the Daytona victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teager View Post
+1
Revs47 is offline   Reply With Quote