Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #4711
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,614
Well I was kinda thinking about it all. I've got Joe's travel bike here at my shop in Oklahoma and we've been trading emails back and forth getting ready for him to come back over in the Spring and I thought why not give it a shot, having locals show you around their home turf is always the best way to see what you might have never found on your own.

He sent me an email just now and was saying "you're right he is a super nice guy" and about what a great time he had riding around with you the other day. He was surprised when you replied being just 20kms down the road, talk about perfect timing, maybe karma Glad it worked out for you to meet up with him, I met him in Cali, Colombia and did a trip out to Buenaventura and had a great time. He's a damn fine Kiwi

Now maybe our rides will cross paths again one day amigo, just barely missed you in Quito but I had to get gone.

Doing an amazing job keeping up with the ride report Mark

Happy Trails and good luck!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #4712
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Any New Zealand opossum, kakapo , kiwi, Kea bird, Tuatara lizard, yellow eyed penguin sightings?
RJ. Yes have seen some of them. No photos of any yet.... Will work on it!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #4713
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
having locals show you around their home turf is always the best way to see what you might have never found on your own.

He's a damn fine Kiwi
Thanks John!! It was great to meet and ride with Joe (joeblogs on ADV). Great guy!! When he comes through the states it would be good if adv'r offer him the same as he did for me. Think he will be riding from Oklahoma to Alaska starting late May or June!!

Already told him about http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843668

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #4714
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Had a great day riding to the west coast after meeting up with Joe! Really nice roads, not much traffic and great scenery!

Once again, Mountains, Rivers, lakes all make for great motorcycle roads!!

Many road signs along the way warning drivers to watch out for motorbikes!

Lots of camper vans out on the roads. Everyone warns me about them, and there chances of being on the wrong side of the road!

I rode to the most northernly town on the west coast called. Karamea

Met up with my friends Dick and Diana (and Pete and Danelle) who just finished a 5 day trek called the Heaphy. I got to tell them that I met and rode with Joe!! It was great to see them and there hiking group!

After staying the night in Karamea, meeting a few other really nice riders from Nelson out for a weekend ride! I headed south on the west coast hwy!! Following this?

Along the ocean for much of the day, but the road winds up into the hills as well. Great twisty roads Fun Fun Fun!

Making good use of the entire tire surface

Did take a short detour up to Denniston which was a huge coal mining town around the turn of the century. Think it had 36,000 people here mining coal.

They had a large bucket tram that went 600 meters down the hill to transport the coal to the bottom of the hill.

Then back on the road ..... riding south. Fantastic roads and views all the way.

I am having amazing weather! as the western side of NZ is know for it rain .....

So many miles of isolated beaches!! Awesome.

Just stopping to enjoy the sea air and take it all in!!

Stopped at Pancake rocks. Had a great chat with an Australia couple touring around NZ, and Barry another motobiker and his cousin from the north Island!!

Great views

really cool patterns of the rocks

Then Southward I rode to Hokitika. Wanted to spend a night overlooking the ocean before I head into Glacier /Mountains.

Picked a place that I can hear the waves crashing the beach!!

Took a long walk on the beach. Loving the crashing waves, fresh sea air, sunshine!!

Fancy Hotel. But worth a splurge!!

As I was exploring a bit around town, these two young guys were walking with their mom. Two brothers, having a sword fight and enjoying it! I Loved it. Asked mom if I could take a photo as it brought back childhood memories and for me captured how boys are.

Then back to the hotel to sit on my deck, relax and take in the sunshine. Took this photo because it is places like this that my wife would have loved to sit, talk and enjoy. Many people get uncomfortable as I share the sadness of not having her by my side, and that I am alone. Wishing it was different, hoping that someday I will have someone to share it with. It is just a fact for me. Not overwhelming sad or painful but just the way it is. For me it is important to write it down, share that I have these feelings, as we all have feelings so I know people can relate.

Then sunset..... Great day in NZ

Radioman screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 12:25 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #4715
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Mark, sure I'm wrong but it looks like a nail in your rear tire in the last post.
Isn't NZ truly wonderful?

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #4716
Kiwi Canuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Nice

Hello Radioman, I grew up in Motueka, awesome area to ride around there, it brings back memories seeing your pictures.
Your pictures are just brillaint, thanks for posting and keeping the RR going, it sure is a treat to follow along.
BTW if you are planning on going to Stewart Island which I highly recommend, I have a brother who lives there and has an aqua culture operation that farms oysters, some of the best I've ever eaten.
Let me know and I'll arrange for you to meet up and probably a place to stay as well.

Cheers,

Kiwi Canuck (Dave Barrett)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #4717
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Then back to the hotel to sit on my deck, relax and take in the sunshine. Took this photo because it is places like this that my wife would have loved to sit, talk and enjoy. Many people get uncomfortable as I share the sadness of not having her by my side, and that I am alone. Wishing it was different, hoping that someday I will have someone to share it with. It is just a fact for me. Not overwhelming sad or painful but just the way it is. For me it is important to write it down, share that I have these feelings, as we all have feelings so I know people can relate.

Then sunset..... Great day in NZ

Dear Radioman,

We trust it is God's will we are were we are at any given moment. The plans He has for us in life work in mysterious ways. You have battled pain and suffering and are alive, really alive not just surviving. I believe allot is because of the choices you made to travel the world and the kind of person you are. The pain will transform into something else, a form of energy that in your case takes a positive luminous face. There is allot to learn from your life experience and it is a most exquisite privilege to be able to partake in it.

Best,
Vic
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #4718
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Dear Radioman,

We trust it is God's will we are were we are at any given moment. The plans He has for us in life work in mysterious ways. You have battled pain and suffering and are alive, really alive not just surviving. I believe allot is because of the choices you made to travel the world and the kind of person you are. The pain will transform into something else, a form of energy that in your case takes a positive luminous face. There is allot to learn from your life experience and it is a most exquisite privilege to be able to partake in it.

Best,
Vic
+1

Well stated.

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #4719
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,730
Radioman,

One of the things that makes this such a great report to follow along with is that you do share your feelings and your losses as well as appreciating the blessings you have. Your adventure seems to be as much a journey of healing as anything, and sharing your state of mind and feelings as well as your words and excellent pictures, makes this "report" something special to those of us that are following along.

Keep it up buddy.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #4720
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Well stated and I fully agree. The personal touch keeps us interested in the Who and the Where....
Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #4721
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 146
Radioman Network

Pop music day, Kiwi style.

First, a 1969 New Zealand invasion tune, which never quite invaded the States. Here is Fourmyula, and New Zealand's all-time top rated pop song, Nature.

Second, probably the biggest pop song to ever come out of New Zealand, and making it big in the States. New Zealand's own Crowded House, and their 1986 hit Don't Dream It's Over, here on the Radioman Network.

Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #4722
coolsen
Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Mark, sure I'm wrong but it looks like a nail in your rear tire in the last post.
Isn't NZ truly wonderful?
Probably a piece of rock embedded in the tread of the tire without puncturing it.
coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #4723
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Your probably right. Just wanted him to look at it.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #4724
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Your probably right. Just wanted him to look at it.
Thanks for watching out for me. NZ is a great place to ride and explore! And I am having great weather as well!!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #4725
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Dear Radioman,

Best,
Vic
Thanks Vic. I know for me sharing the everyday thoughts and realities for me is important in many way. Thanks for the encouraging words!