Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #4756
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by chekamus View Post
some great pictures there, how was paradise!?
Paradise was a wonderful homestead in a wonderful mountain area! Peaceful.
The signage and the image of riding to Paradise makes me !

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #4757
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Queenstown

It has been great staying in Queenstown for a short break, and time to explore some of the local sights!!

Having such a great view of the Remarkables, and also seeing the switchback road going up the back side of the mountains ....... Made it a place to say.... I want to ride up there!

It is a 13 Km gravel road that climbs up to the ski area.

As you climb up you get a nice view of Queenstown.

Right up the marbly gravel road to the ski area.

At the parking lot I parked and then took a hike up to the top of the Ski area, then up to Lake Alta.

It is on the east side of the Remarkables.

While talking to some younger hikers from the UK and Australia, 3 people walk up and one of the ladies says; "your Radioman" ...... And of course I do not know her, but she saw my bike in the carpark, and called Diana to ask if it was their motorbike..... Connections!

Ann and her two other friends Don and Donna from the US, and I hiked up to the top of the ridge to look back on Queenstown. It was a steep uphill with big rocks !

This is where I climbed to looking from Queenstown.

[IMG]http://radioman.smugmug.com/Other/Ride-the-world-4/i-4xrDCVL/0/
L/IMG_0394%232-L.jpg[/IMG]

Long way up!

Looking back down to Queenstown.

Lots of scrub and rocks to hike down to the carpark

Then I road down the hill back to Queenstown.

Had a bit of lunch in Queenstown and chatted with some travelers that rented Bikes in NZ and were riding about. Normal questions about how I could aford to do this kind of trip Choices is what I tell everyone. I could be home working, putting money in a 401K and hoping to make it to retirement, or I can be out doing it now!! Of course I am fortunate to have had the option, ultimately I had to decided what my life would look like in the chapter.

In queenstown there are plenty of tourists from all over the world doing the adventure outdoor things of NZ, tramping, bunny, jet boats, eating and drinking etc. The coal powered ship TSS Earnslaw is a big attraction for a cruise on the lake.

Nice little beach for people to enjoy!

Here is the Earnslaw chugging up the lake

Sunday I had the first really rainy day since Ushaia.... So it was time to catch up with Arnout again as he was back in town. Met up for a great lunch and then coffee!

Then I had to get Arnout on my bike o inspire him to travel differently

Said goodbye to Arnout for now, as his travels are taking him north then onto SE Asia. But I might see him down the road somewhere!

In most of the KIWI homes I have been into, they take off their shoes. Just something I have never done at home.

While up hiking on the Remarkables, I met Ann and her friends. She invited me to join Dick and Diana at there place for dinner Sunday night! How wonderful!! Had a great evening with Ann and Joe, Barbara and Dick and Diana!

The generosity and friendship of meeting people on the road has been amazing!

Including Ann's hard work to make a Blueberry pie especially for me!!

I got two pieces!!

Then the next morning, Dick and Diana invited Mike and Denise for Breakfast. The own and operate a motorcycle tour company out of Australia taking riders all over the world!! Was really wonderful to meet passionate motorcyclist!! I am can their tours would really be great!

Check out their web site: http://www.ferriswheels.com.au

Lovely People, Mike and Denise with a great story of meeting, riding motorbikes and touring people for the last 18 years! Too bad we did not have more time together!

Here's Mike hamming it up around my world motorcyclist always come home to their Hubbards Cereals!

What a wonderful time I have had here in Queenstown. The special connection to Dick and Diana has really been an extraordinary blessing to my trip and my life. Today I will be riding on toward the Fjordlands and saying "goodbye" but it really is only until we see each other again in person! Once again the journey has been filled with the beauty of meeting people and sharing this life together!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 04:07 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #4758
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,708
New Zealand is what I picture Heaven looking like...

Amazing pictures!

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #4759
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
New Zealand is what I picture Heaven looking like...
The roads are great for riding too!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #4760
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
any sign of the 72 virgins ????
LOL sorry Paul.... None in sight

Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #4761
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
None in Sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
LOL sorry Paul.... None in sight
Nice riding area Mark. Glad you are enjoying it all... especially the pie.

Took my grand daughter riding to the St Paddy Day picnic near Eugene today (adv gathering). Got talking with some adv'ers and was really surprised, as they had never heard of Radioman. I had to clue them in on what they were missing, reading of your adventures.

Ride on Mark!

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #4762
Revs47
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Macetown?

Are you intending to go to Macetown? There are about 22 river crossings, but with the drought they should be quite low. If you do, pick up a guide booklet from the Arrowtown Museum. It's only a few photocopied sheets, but has a numbered list of points of interest that correspond with marker posts on the road so adds to the interest.
Revs47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #4763
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs47 View Post
Are you intending to go to Macetown? There are about 22 river crossings, but with the drought they should be quite low. If you do, pick up a guide booklet from the Arrowtown Museum. It's only a few photocopied sheets, but has a numbered list of points of interest that correspond with marker posts on the road so adds to the interest.
I am in Manapouri now. Did not know about Macetown...will check it out.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #4764
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
You going to milford sound? great scenic road up to it, a boat trip is worth doing as well.
we have a spare room near invercargill if you need somewhere to stay?
chekamus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #4765
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
You going to milford sound? great scenic road up to it, a boat trip is worth doing as well.
Yes Milford Sound today, Doubtful Sound tomorrow. A room sounds good, will PM you!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #4766
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 679
Another example of typical NZer hospitality...

Quote:
Without a doubt some of the nicest folks on the planet. Must be related to Newfoundlanders

Both of which I have been able to experience first hand - no one does it better in my opinion when it comes to welcoming people. So jealous of this ride right now...

YK
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #4767
PaulGir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Metal roads.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me. I've read some reports from N.Z. where the metal roads were mentioned and I thought they were talking about paved {hardened, toughened, metaled } and it turns out I was 180 degrees wrong.
Keep up the good work and haveing fun. I'm learning as you go !
Why is road metal called metal?

The original sense was much broader. The English word comes from Latin metallum, a mine or quarry. So a metal was anything useful that had been extracted from the ground. Since most of the substances men searched for were what we now call metals (gold, silver, tin, copper, and the like), the shift of sense is easy to understand. Another shift of sense, to a figurative one, plus a change of spelling, gave us mettle.
PaulGir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #4768
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGir View Post
Another shift of sense, to a figurative one, plus a change of spelling, gave us mettle.
Something a metal road can sometimes cause you to prove.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #4769
PaulGir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hello Vic, I have one with me but have yet to need it. Also I am a MAC guy so it does not connect with MAC, so I need to find a PC guy to hook it up to. Will do so soon!
It may be possible to use the GS-911 on a Mac or if you install a linux dual boot on your mac:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653860

https://sites.google.com/site/gsware...ithout-windows

Installing Ubuntu Linux on a Mac:

http://tech-devnet.blogspot.de/2012/...04-on-mac.html
PaulGir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #4770
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Leaving Queenstown and onto Milford Sound!

I have been very fortunate to have such great weather on my ride. In the 21 months on the road now, I have only had 3-4 days that I have had to ride in the rain :) Watching the weather for certain places to ride has been helpful for seeing spectacular places with good weather, that and having time to adjust my routes to take advantage of weather!

Said goodbye to Dick and Diana Hubbard. My friends and wonderful, generous Hosts who have shared to much with me in my time in NZ (and SA)! Cannot thank them enough, and also know that it is only goodbye until we meet up again somewhere!!

All packed up. Ready to ride again!

On the road again...

Then I stopped on the other side of the lake to pick up a jacket I had left there the night before. Had a wonderful chat with Anne and Joe (and Barbara) before I headed back onto the road! Thank You so much for dinner and Pie!!

Thanks! Hope to see you at your new place in Idaho! More Americans loose in the world! More great experiences for me as I meet amazing people!

I arrived in Manapouri and found a motel. Got a Motorcycle discount!! Has a view out to the Fjords and lake across the street and I will be able to walk to my Doubtful Sound boat trip!

But the weather looks better going to Milford Sound in the morning!

I roll out of town the next morning for the 120Km ride to Milford Sound!

I love the road signs here. Lots of tourists that need reminders of which side of the road to be on :)

Feels like fall. This was the coldest I had ridden in since leaving Ushuaia couple months ago. It was cool and crisp!!

Riding up the road to Fjordland National park. I just knew that it would be an amazing ride with scenery that you cannot capture!

Scenery to great to capture, and nice twisty roads. Great combination, but did not encourage me to stop riding..... until the end of the road!

Stunning and huge rock faces.... Makes you feel very small and insignificant. But also in awe of the beauty of the area!

Through the tunnel to the other side.

Arriving at the end of the road. Sun is shining, blue skies, not one cloud to be seen. That is amazing as Milford gets 10-14 Meters of rain each year

I walk down to the dock and pay for a cruise on the sound. Look my ship has arrived!

Some waterfalls, but it has been a dry year so not too many to see.

It is hard to gain perspective of the size of the fjord. But look for the boats ....

As with many of the main attractions, there are tour buses loaded with travelers. We happened to be on a boat full of Chinese tourists.

Everyone stacking up on the railing to get the perfect shot!

We cruise out to the edge of the Tasman Sea! Normally there are big swells here, but not today

I met two very nice american woman. Holly and Marisa! Great sharing the boat ride together, even if the bees where attacking you both! They are in the crowd trying to get the fur seal photos!

Amazing day. No wind, warm, sunny! Really amazing!!

Difficult lighting, but huge waterfall.

Just a stunning place!!

You can clearly see the path of the glaciers

As I ride back out of the park. the size of the rock face is amazing!

back out of the tunnel.

fortunately I passed all the cars and buses heading up the hill, and had clear road ahead of me !!

Had an awesome ride back to the motel. Great weather, sunset on the deck of the motel.

An Epic sightseeing day!!

Radioman screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 01:44 PM