Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #4891
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Just wondering if it is allot more expensive travelling in NZ than in US, gas, food and are there budget accommodations or camping readily available.

Do you consider continuing through Europe or part of it after Australia before your return?
Yes NZ is a more expensive place to travel as fuel, lodging and food are more expensive. Along the lines of Canada I'd say. But one can always travel cheaper if they camp, eat from the grocery stores etc. But I did not do that here. New Zealand is a great place to ride. Great roads, good Gravel roads to explore, lots to see and do, and some amazingly friendly people!!

Have enjoyed it a great deal.

The "Plan" now is Australia for 3-4 months, then South Africa for several months ..... Then ?? Not really sure how my finances will hold up and how I will feel about continuing. Europe has not been on my list, as when I was younger I lived in Austria, traveled to all the Western European countries .... Wanted to see places I have not been....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 06:51 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #4892
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I am thinking once a beautiful nomadic life becomes so enjoyable, to my mind, ideal would be to stop and make some money and then continue. Probably it's allot easier said than done.

I admire your adventure in solitude.

Vic
Old 04-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #4893
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Gidday Mark
I'm in Omarama with the other old farts for our 25th anniversary ride in tomorrow. Sherri Jo stayed with Shirley on Thursday night and now is in the South Island. I followed Lisa and Simon for quite some way near Kaikoura but they turned west towards Hanmer Springs so I didn't get another chance t speak with them.
Glad your presentation to the Alzheimer's Assoc went well.

I will be back in Welly in a day or two - may need to get a new rear tyre first! Damn Bandits!

Ride safe mate.
Ken
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #4894
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hi Mark,

Just wondering if it is allot more expensive travelling in NZ than in US, gas, food and are there budget accommodations or camping readily available.

Do you consider continuing through Europe or part of it after Australia before your return?

Best,
Vic
Hi Vic
There is plenty of budget accommodation available. But there are also lots of people who are very happy to give you a bed and a meal. I think you can see that if you look at Mark's blog - also from Lisa and Simon and others.

Take the plunge !
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #4895
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Ride safe Mark am so sorry we didnt catch up.I hope the presentation to the alzheimers people helped in some small way on your journey.Enjoy Aussie its a completely different trip to here but you will find many similarities too.!Farewell!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #4896
lamoufle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
That a nice trip, and i am so jealous of your so well polished bike !!! Mine is covered with sand and mud but I can't find the energy to clean it

Anyway, you definitely has to go to south africa, it's amazing country, landscape are really impressive. Talking on budget, there are plenty of backpackers and camp between 5 and 15 euros per night and food is inexpensive too... problem is fuel, you have to cover a lot of distance so burning fuel....

But now you can;t avoid the african continent !!!

Have a safe trip ! and take a lot of pics in Australia

L'aventure Africaine en français: http://lililagirafe.fr
lamoufle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #4897
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoufle View Post
But now you can;t avoid the african continent !!!

Have a safe trip !
! (the bike is clean because I cannot ship it to Australia dirty )

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #4898
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennif View Post
Hi Vic
There is plenty of budget accommodation available. But there are also lots of people who are very happy to give you a bed and a meal. I think you can see that if you look at Mark's blog - also from Lisa and Simon and others.

Take the plunge !
Hi Ken,

It is great to know one day I may be able to perhaps meet some of the nice folks in New Zealand. Right now my trip is a dream in infancy, which I really want to make happen. I wish this site lives forever.

Best,
Vic
Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #4899
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Good Bye New Zealand!

Been a busy week getting ready to leave New Zealand. Still had time to meet some new people.

Funny the things that strike you as you walk around a place. Spotted this garage can in front of a house...... might have been a business.

Ok... Why ?

Met Peter and his wife Lynette, after he saw my bike at the local Grocery store and he looked up my web blog, then emailed me with an invite for dinner! He is a BMW F800 owner and a GP Doctor that works with many Dementia Patients. We had lots to talk about. His wife actually came to my Public talk!!

Thanks so much for dinner

Another beautiful Sunrise.....

Then finished cleaning my bike, and then the final crating I did at Expereince BMW, as they saved me a crate from a new incoming 1200Gs :)

Rolled in and finished making the bike showroom clean.

Then took the front wheel off. and got the bike all strapped down!

Disconnected the battery, and left bike with not much fuel

Then putting the sides together....

All in...

Now no transport. Took a walk down the road to organize flight to Australia! Bike gets picked up Monday and will be in Australia in a little over two weeks as I am shipping it on a ship. one week before the boat sail, 4 days on water, 5-6 days to clear customs in Australia!

So ..... my time in NZ has come to an end! Had a wonderful time here and will miss it!

But I am actually using the next two weeks for something I am also passionate about..... More in a few days...

Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #4900
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,419
Safe travells RM, great report.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #4901
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Now no transport. Took a walk down the road to organize flight to Australia! Bike gets picked up Monday and will be in Australia in a little over two weeks as I am shipping it on a ship. one week before the boat sail, 4 days on water, 5-6 days to clear customs
Ever wonder why something transported by ship is called cargo and something transported by vehicle is called a shipment...?

Anyway, safe travels on the next leg of your journey and am looking forward to see what's next!
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #4902
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Way to go Mark, off to OZ and as you know one of the places on my Bucket list.

I'm still following just the weather has broken (spring arriving) so it's get out and ride time. Good luck with the Ozzie winter.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #4903
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
good luck for the next part of your trip! great meeting you!
chekamus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #4904
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,431
Australia next!!

As always, Mark, safe travel wishes from Diane & me.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #4905
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Mark,

I continue to admire you and your travels. Do you think you'll be able to ride in Tasmania while in Australia? We're planning for Australia in January, 2014.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote