Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #5041
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
Mark; the Aussies have warned you about Drop Bears, haven't they?
Yup. One more risk to add to the list in Oz.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #5042
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Sydney

Taking few days to check out Sydney.

For me the best way to see a city is to get somewhere downtown and start walking! Took a bus into Sydney, then started walking....

Ended up walking to The Rocks under the Harbour bridge with a view back to the city.

Then of course the Opera House

See the people on the Harbour bridge walking tour.

Proud flags flying

Then a young couple getting married

and an old sailing ship. Awaiting some tourists to take out on the harbor.

and a group of school kids hearing about the history and the Opera House

Nice place to hang out for a bit and enjoy the sun, read my book, and take it all in.

After a great day wandering the city, I had the pleasure of meeting up with SYDADV (Russ and his wife Nyree) who I communicated with in South America but we passed each other and did not see one another We were also joined by Mark and his wife! Great evening out at the Merton Pub! thanks so much!!

They also brought me a great Book..... Reading and studying to do today!

And a classic Irish Poem..... Hanging in the bar

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 03:22 PM
Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #5043
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Clint and Rosie !
Mark!

You enjoy your time in Australia. I'm only a tiny bit jealous

As well as the motorbike atlas, we found some of the other Hema touring maps really useful - they showed a lot of really good bush camping sites, and some (but not all) gravel roads.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #5044
Radioman OP
Moto rider

A day to repack gear, then take a short ride around the city. Started at Bondi Beach.

Who can resist beautiful water and beaches? As i took my first photos, I met Pat who was also taking a photo. Really nice Guy from South Africa and now is married to an Australian raising their kids in OZ. We had a great conversation on the side of the road!! Pat

Parked the bike for a walk along the water.

It was mid-week so the beach was empty. I am sure the weekends are crazy busy!

Nice to just sit and enjoy.

Then a ride down to the South Heads for another look with better weather

The Heads are the entrance to Sydney Harbor. Great to watch the boats sail right in.

There is a walkway along the coast that is very cool!

Looking back toward the city.

I stopped for some Fish Tacos at the Watson Bay.

Lots of restaurants use these beepers to let you know your food is ready. No waitresses, just order food and drink at the bar. Luck 13

Then A group of Blokes start up a conversation as they see my bike. They are riders and are interested in the trip! They had me join there family birthday party! Invited me to their Restaurant called Tommy's in Glebe!

thanks Guys! They were originally from the Czech Republic but made new lives here! Hope to see them again!

Then a quick photo near the Opera House.

Once again, I was just out exploring and met some great people. So friendly, inviting me to get together, stay, share meals!! Such an amazing part of my trip. Hope I can make it out of Sydney!!

Radioman screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 12:02 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #5045
KeithTurk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Been there several times Mark... Remember, try not to ride at night... Skippy has a low center of gravity compared to Bambi and he wants to eat you!!!

The Dividing range is simply incredible... can't wait to see your reports when you get near Melborne.... are you going to try and make it to Adelaide or are you going north towards Cairns?
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #5046
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
I have 3-4 months in Australia, so I will certainly make it up the gold coast at some point!
Mark, I see you are enjoying Sydney. Great pics! I motored into Sydney harbor for a 1 month refit on my sailing ketch and ended up spending a year there. Bought a motor bike and traveled all the way up the east coast before heading back out to sea. Yes... you can get happily stuck in OZ.

Happy travels and no worries!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #5047
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Yes... you can get happily stuck in OZ.
after yesterday.... meeting some great people. It could happen!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #5048
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post
... are you going to try and make it to Adelaide...

I sure hope so. I lived there for a summer a few decades back. Would be great to see some current pictures. I had a great time that summer. The people in Australia are so hospitable and a pleasure to be around. Cannot wait to see more of Mark's time there.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #5049
HandCanonShootr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb You are inspiring

Hey Radioman, after lurking here, and reading your chapter 3, you inspire me. Your outlook, and way of dealing with life's challenges, are even better then your stories. Wanting to reply to your posts are the reason I Registered with ADVrider.

Your trip took me thru South America, thank you so much, but the India/Himylia. detour was excellent also.
My claim toADV fame was a 1983 trip 6000k' OZ up & down the East coast with a XR250 Honda & a Backpack
In Australia, I spent 4 months traveling the east Coast, and several points that I enjoyed were Frasier Island as well as Magnetic Island (twice to camp). While my mode of habitation was either Youth Hostel, tent-camping, or staying with families/people met in my travels. Also The Whitsunday Islands out from Airlie Beach are fantastic also. Scuba from the Airlie Beach area in the GBReef was another memorable part of the trip. My Scuba Cert card from Airlie Beach 1983 still draws comments at dive shops today.

Mark, thankyou again for sharing your great ADVenture with me. If passing thru Los Angeles, don't hesitate to contact me for a place to stay, not to mention, some serious story telling over a beer or two.

Mike B.
HandCanonShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #5050
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Living the dream

LIVING THE DREAM. How does one go about describing oppprtunies that have come up for me on this ride around the world. Yesterday was one of those amazing days. connected to an amazing man who took me on his personal Helicopter tour of Sydney in his private Helicopter. Just simply amazing…..

But first I stopped at AdventureMoto in a Sydney Suburb to pick up a vented tube for my Rotopax. Met Steve Smith the owner and a great guy!!

https://www.adventuremoto.com.au

Loved that my item was ready for me!

He gave me a tour of his shop and the F800 he is building. Like being a Kid in the Candy store!

And a free t-shirt !!

It was designed by Simon Thomas!

Yup. Ride, Explore, Discover

Once again meeting some great people that also have passion for Motorcycles and life!

Not sure how to really explain the next part of my day. Lee invited me up to his place to a morning "tea" with him and his lovely wife Mary. We talked about the trip, Australia, looked at maps of special areas in Australia! Great conversation! This again is the best part of my Adventure is meeting new, interesting people! Thanks Lee and Mary for generously sharing this time.

But it gets more amazing as the morning unfolded. Lee has a very cool Bimoto Tesa 3D.... So we headed out to take a look!

WOW work of art. He offer for me to Ride it.... but I was not willing to take the risk

The front end is amazing. No direct forks, but it swivels on the center joint. Crazy design!

Then Lee offers to take me on a Helicopter flight over Sydney Really ?
It is almost without words that I can express the delight in this unique opportunity with a really great guy!

So he rolls out his personal Helo. It is a Eurocopter Ecureuil (Squirrel). Very very cool!

He calls it Adventure Helicoptering

OK. LIVING THE DREAM is firmly planted in my head. WOW

Took lots of photos..... But too many to share.

Heading for Sydney harbour for an amazing view!

Just over the Harbour Bridge, the the Opera house !

Stunning!

Following this amazing Harbour out to the Heads and the exit to the Ocean!

Flying along the coast ... There's Bondi Beach

More coastline.... I am just enjoying every moment of the flight!!

Ahhh. Look at this road.... Looks like I need to take a ride here!

Then further south.

Amazing Beaches!

Lee tells me we will be landing at his property as he is a "Pitt Street Farmer".
Some of his beach named after his daughter!

We land have lunch in town, as he shares the love of the area that he and his family have enjoyed! Beautiful!

He has a sick cow named Lucky, that we go check on. Of course I fell like I am truly the Lucky one today!!

Then we head back to his house near Sydney!

Catching some great bush area and sights along the way!

Landing perfectly on his helipad

Amazing day!! Thanks so Much Lee!

Humbled by the generosity of this very Kind man. he shared his world, his life experiences and views, and his passion for his Helicopter flying. I am so grateful for this connection and time spent with Lee!

Then back on the bike to ride through Sydney to my Friend Craigs 50th Birthday party. It was near their home, and it was great to meet some of his friends and be able to celebrate the big event!! Somehow I did not take photos!

Radioman screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 01:46 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #5051
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
That's it..........

..........Unsubscribed! Really? You dare post such cool stuff and expect us ground hoggers to take it?
Who am I kidding? I am addicted to Adv R/R's, and this is one of the best. Good for you mate........
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #5052
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,093
Hey Mark, I did the 34 from corvallis to waldport today...big deal huh?
Glad your having a super time!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #5053
MRED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Marty, Stop in at Mr. Ed's in Albany for a visit.
Rev'It! Dealer since 2003
http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm
MRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #5054
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
Amazing
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #5055
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
LIVING THE DREAM.

Humbled by the generosity of this very Kind man. he shared his world, his life experiences and views, and his passion for his Helicopter flying. I am so grateful for this connection and time spent with Lee!
Very cool, beautiful chopper!
Isn't it amazing the beautiful people & things that can happen while traveling...especially in another country!
I haven't been following your thread much, so i don't know what your itinery is, but lots of good ways to travel through Aus, check out Bell's beach surf, if you decide to head around the sth coast to Perth.
If you go nth up through Bris, take the inland roads up through the Glasshouse mtns to Noosa...i used to take that road all the time.
Enjoy. We'll have to meet up when you get back to PDX.

"Creative use of what we have is part of the point of motorcycling"- Kevin Smith/Motorcyclist Magazine.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote