Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #5101
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Did you get in contact with Steve for your free Sail-plane ride?

He is in Melbourne area.... I will plan to meet up with him soon.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #5102
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Monday May 27th. Left Bewong and rode down the coast before turning west toward the Snowy Mountains.

Beautiful coastline, but a cloudy morning.

Arrived in Cooma, where I was meeting up with Steve (bergdonk)

He is an excellent guide and historian of the area. Told me about the "Snowy Mountain Scheme" which is a huge and complex hydroelectric and water project undertaken in 1949-1974.

One of the memorials for the men that lost their lives during the construction of the project. This was a cost of these projects as big and industrial as they were.

One thing about riding here in the winter is the very short days. It does not get light until 7 ish and dark around 5 ish. and of course I know not to ride at night here with all the animals.

But Steve took me the back way to their home in Numeralla, so I could get a bit of perspective. Also saw Wallabies and Kangaroo's and also some dead Wombats along the way.

We arrived at his house. He had built it over the years! We had a great Curry dinner that Steve prepared, and his lovely wife Sandra and his Mate Bruce and famliy came for dinner. Thanks! was a great evening

Then in the morning, Steve guided me through the Barry Way and into Victoria!! (my second Australian State). The Barry way is through the mountains on dirt /gravel roads.

We rolled out on the cool fall morning. Slabbed it to Jindabyne
then into the mountain areas.

More history of Jindabyne, the lakes, and the immigration! Steve is a wealth of knowledge of the area.

Steve and his Farkled up DR650.

My first real bit of off road here in Australia.

Had some Black Wallabies cross in front of me while riding. As I started to ride faster down the dirt tracks.... you realize there is lots of wildlife that is active and you need to stay alert

Hard to capture the area, but it was great!

As we progressed down to the Pinch river valley.

We crossed into Victoria !!

Then a stop at Suggan Buggan 1860 School. Had a break and some lunch.

Had a great ride. Then Steve Doubled back and I carried on into Victoria.
Thanks Steve! Was terrific tour of the area!

Rode down to Bruthen, then turned north on the Great Alpine Road. Stayed at a pub in Omeo for the night! More on this tomorrow!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #5103
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Monday May 27th.................

Hard to capture the area, but it was great!
As we progressed down to the Pinch river valley.

It was great to have Mark at home for dinner and hear some of his stories. Amazing trip for sure!

Just a minor correction above. The picture is of the Snowy River valley that the Barry Way follows for 20 kms or so.

Nevertheless we did cross the Pinch River, and the Jacobs River too.

Safe travels.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #5104
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Scenery

Why is it everytime I think the scenery couldn't be better you seem to find something better. Looks like I have to figure a way to get down under for a long ride.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #5105
Russ

Oddometer: 15,956
BergDonk thanks for pointing Mark in the right direction

The Barry way is a great ride.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #5106
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Omeo- Great Alpine Road then into Melbourne

Thanks to Steve for sure!! Great host and guide!

As I rode up the Great Alpine Road, it is a lovely Fall day.

But what is really great is that this is a wonderful motorcycle road. No better way to start the day than a twisty mountain road that I have to myself

And I ride the first 50 miles seeing no traffic. Awesome

Steve recommended this little detour road that takes me through Falls Creek. I have no idea what to expect expect to enjoy this great area.

I wind my way up to higher elevations, the temps drop, but it is a fun road.

Just a lovely ride

I get up near the top of the hills, and there is snow all about. I have layer up under my Jacket so I am still warm.

Over a large earthen dam.

Temps at 38 degrees F

Pass Falls Creek which is a ski area. and head back down. The fall colors are nice!

Evidence of the big fires here in Australia a couple years ago make interesting patterns on the hills.

Looking back toward Falls Creek area that I just crossed over.

and then up the valley on my way out west before turning south to Melbourne.

I planned a stop in Glenrowan, VIC which is part of the last history of Ned Kelly the famous Australian Outlaw and his gang.

It is mainly just a tourist trap of Souvenir shops with "museum" signs to draw you into the shops.

They will sell you T shirts, keychains and a full shop of stuff with Ned Kelly on it.

But It gives me a bit of information about Ned Kelly and his Gang.

The shop keeper said this is the best movie made about Ned Kelly.... So I will have to watch it someday.

or some basic info

http://www.nedkellysworld.com.au/history/history.htm

As the Shop keeper asked me about my ride, he then when into a 15 minute monolog about UFO's out in the middle of OZ, starting near Pine Gap, and flying saucers, secret programs worked by the government and CIA..... It was interesting as he was serious and articulate

Then onto Melbourne to Connect up with some Generous ADV riders who have offered accommodation! Just a bit on fuel prices. Seems like around $6.00 /Gallon. I will use a bunch as I cover this big country!

As I roll down the road to Melbourne, I slab for a couple hours to beat the sunset at 5PM....

Lots of Koala Warning signs on this stretch of highway.

and I love this sign. Stay left unless passing. I know it is the way people should drive in US, but so many do not. In Oz they remind people with signs!

Entering Melbourne ..... But it is a very spread out city of 3.5 million. Takes me about an hour to get to the suburb I am going to...

Melborne has an Artsy feel to it even on the freeway dividers along the way into town.

and an old American classic with left hand drive. 60's Impala

Arrived just before dark..... and the rain Another great riding day! About 500 Km today!

Radioman screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 05:02 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #5107
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,488
G'day mate - make sure you make time to go to the Old Melbourne Gaol and see Neds death Mask and the place where it all ended for him -

Pity about Glenrowan, it is a tourist thing , if you had of turned towards Mansfield from the highway you would have gone past Stringybark Creek where he murdered the Policeman and also some more scenery ..

http://www.oldmelbournegaol.com.au/
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #5108
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 433
Hey Mark,

Thanks for your company and generosity in sharing your experiences and tales from the road.

Safe travels!

JM + TM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #5109
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
A 1964 Chevy with fender skirts what a sweet ride and ride report !!! Keep it coming..

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #5110
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Thanks for your company and generosity in sharing your experiences and tales from the road.
Thank You for having me!! . It was a pleasure meeting you and spending the day together! Really appreciated it!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #5111
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Melbourne

Arrived in Melbourne and had been invited a couple months ago to meet up and stay with Julian and Tania.

I had read there RR about Victoria and Great ocean road, and was great to meet both of them.

It was a rainy day, so we went to explore the Healsville Reserve.

It is a great way to see the Animals that are out in Australia!

Started with Emu's

Of course the icons of Australia. Koala's. Not super animated, but fun to see up close.

And a echidna

Kangaroo's This mama has paws coming out of her pouch.

Wallabies up close.

Pelicans

Birds exhibits

Then the great Birds of Prey show. My photos just did not come out too well, but the hawks, Buzzards and other birds were amazing!

Then the Yabby that escaped the Platupus area....

We had a great day talking about the area, doing a drive through the rainy Mountains.

Was a pleasure to spend time together! Thanks J + T

Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #5112
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Melbourne City.

Decided to take a couple days in downtown Melbourne so I could walk about and go see the Monet Exhibit at the National Arts Museum.

Rode into the city. Rented a hotel room online for a decent price considering I am right near Museum. Walking and trams easy to get to !

First stop is this exhibit!

Was really great collection of painting from Claude Monet painted from 1870-1925.

It was a great couple hours enjoying these amazing painting and seeing the progression of his painting including when his eyesight was going and special glasses that he had to help him paint.

Could not take photos of the painting but lots of cards and books for sale afterwards for the art lovers.

The gallery has a cool water feature entrance.

and sculture in the entrance. Was fun enjoying the arts for the afternoon!

Then walk into the city center.

Federation Square and the funky architecture

Just being a tourist on a rainy Friday in Melbourne!

Simple fish and chips and a Sparkling Ale from Coopers for dinner!

Saturday morning Peter from bikesabroad.com came in to have some "brekkie" and chat. He was very helpful and easy to use for shipping my bike from NZ to Australia. It was great to meet him in person! Would recommend him if you are shipping your bike to OZ, and I also plan to use him to get my bike to South Africa!

http://www.bikesabroad.com.au/index.html

Once again, I have met some really great people on my ride!

Radioman screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 04:45 PM
Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #5113
Radioman OP
Moto rider

2 YEARS of this Adventure!

Big Day today!! 2 years ago I started this Ride Around the world.

Started with a ride with Camogreg out to the Oregon Coast to the most westernly point in the continental US. He was starting a trip across country and I was starting around the world!

When I decided to do this trip, I really did not know how long it would last, or where it would actually take me. Even though I had a rough "route" in mind, I always knew it would evolve and I was flexible about how I would change during the trip. There have been a couple times I thought I was about done, ready to get back "home" and start over. But I got "second winds" as it were and so I am still here traveling.

I started with some stats.....

106,000 KM's (65,000 Miles) riding miles, 1 engine replacement (not my fault) . 10 rear tires, 5 front tires, one rebuilt rear shock, repaired front fork tube, 20 countries, most westernly point in continental US, most easternly point in Canada and US, Most southern point in US, 37 US states, 4 Canadian Provinces, Central America, South America, Galpagos Islands, Antarctic, India (only two Royal Enfield Breakdowns!), New Zealand, and now Australia, 13 plane flights, 4 boat trips, Rode to the highest motorable road in the world, rode to the Fin del Mundo, met thousand of fellow travelers, riders, locals and people on my journey!! 730 days not in my own bed, amazing foods, people and languages and cultural experiences.

A lifetime of experiences I am very grateful to have had.

I cannot thank all of you that have encouraged me, have ridden or wanted to ride with me, hosted and generously shared your homes, meals, advise and routes, and time to make my trip so wonderful.

Has been wonderful to share my experiences and ride with so many people. Just a few that have touched my heart.

Mrs Schraders 3rd grade class (thanks Pablo!)

A chance to share with Kids and Adults alike

Crazy gifts with my screename on them.

Birthday wishes and encouragement as I travel solo it keeps my spirits up and sense of loneliness at bay.

Know some of you are checking in on Radioman Time and that is great!

Deserves a jump don't you think?

Thanks for coming along for the 730 days of my journey. It is not over yet, lots left to see and do here in Australia before moving onto South Africa!

Radioman screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 10:03 PM
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #5114
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Charge an admission

As popular as your RR is, you could charge a very small admission and just keep on riding.....
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #5115
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,088
I cant believe it has been two years since i started following along, i feel like were friends since i have gotten to know you over this RR. I cant thank you enuf for your devotion to keep writting and taking all the picture and you opening up to the community about your life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.