Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #5206
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting what follows and recommend anyone who hasn't to read your other RRs.
Thank You. Appreciate the kind words. It is a pleasure to share my ride with so many others.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #5207
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,775
Hey Mark, Dave here from the Nerriga meet up. How long you in Sydney for?. We are having a little get together at a place called Tuena on the weekend 29/30 June,love you to come alongIf you dont mind cold camping that is, minus 8 last year I think If not, enjoy your trip north!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #5208
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
We are having a little get together at a place called Tuena on the weekend 29/30 June,love you to come along
As of now, I will be well north to warmer weather by then. Thanks for the invite would have been great to see you all again.

Mark

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #5209
Radioman OP
Moto rider

June 19, 2013

20 years ago today I married Chris. She was the love of my life.

We were married almost 18 years when she passed away back in 2011

I count myself very lucky to have spent these wonderful year with Chris. I miss her dearly in my life, but am grateful for the many years we did have together. It is lonely without her in my life, our plans of growing old did not work out the way we had wished. But that is life. Today I smile with the remembrances of our courtship, marriage, raising her son and life lived to the full. I was a lucky one to have had such a good marriage and person to share life with.

So one that note, I had a change of planes today due to the wether, but it allowed me to get my bike into Procycles in Sydney to take a look at my rear Hub. The bearing is loose in the hub The issue surfaced in NZ, where I had my rear wheel bearings changed due to wear, and now somehow the hub is not holding the bearing

The outside spacer has worn badly with the movement of the bearing in the hub.

I went ahead and had then put in a new Bearing with some center punching of the hub and extra Bearing lock tight but I am afraid the hub is toast Will be talking with Woody's Wheel Works tomorrow in Colorado because I had the stronger hubs, spokes and rims put on the bike just for this reason

The folks at Procycle in Service (Marcel) and parts (Jarrod and Andy) were great to work with as we tried to determine the best way to get me on the road. Thanks Guys.

Tomorrow will be another day!!

Off to Sydney CBD to meet up with some friends of a good High school mate.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #5210
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 541
Our thoughts are with you, Mark, especially today.

On a separate note, I hope something hassle-free can be worked out for that bearing spacer. A wobbly back wheel is one way to keep your speed down to avoid LEO's, but you definitely didn't pick the safest approach for that!

We are staying put in San Rafael, Argentina through the austral winter, with a sweet opportunity to caretake a small farm. It's already cold enough here that I wouldn't be riding too far between coffee stops. Hope you still have that heated gear in tow...

Enjoy Sydney!
Mike & Jill
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #5211
Flys Lo
cool hand fluke

Oddometer: 321
My thoughts are with you today.

With regards to your hub, getting a new one will be the easiest - but may not be the cheapest. (Altho with Aussie labour prices it still may be the cheapest...)

Get some new bearings, and take the hub to a machine shop. They should be able to fill the hub with some aluminium weld, and machine it out to the right tolerance for the bearing.

These things usually occur if bearings that are on the way out are left in the hub for too long. The other possible cause is poor tolerances on the hub to begin with.

Also, some of the suppliers listed in this thread might be able to help: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562746

Flys Lo screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 02:37 PM
Flys Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #5212
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
We are staying put in San Rafael, Argentina through the austral winter, with a sweet opportunity to caretake a small farm. It's already cold enough here that I wouldn't be riding too far between coffee stops. Hope you still have that heated gear in tow...

Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #5213
Radioman OP
Moto rider

My SIL posted this on my facebook yesterday. Seems right to me......

Radioman screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 04:21 PM
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #5214
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flys Lo View Post

With regards to your hub, getting a new one will be the easiest - but may not be the cheapest. (Altho with Aussie labour prices it still may be the cheapest...)

Also, some of the suppliers listed in this thread might be able to help: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562746
Thanks for the help. Spoke with Woody's..... Just seeing what I can work out now. Will check contacts in the links!!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #5215
Black-Ops
The left one....

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
due to the time of year I have opted out of getting to Tasmania. I was there 25 years ago, did the Cradle Mountain Hike and explored adn really loved it, but I am wanting more warm weather.... so Heading north. Thanks for the offer!
No worries, its a bit fresh and dark down this way.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #5216
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 146
Radioman Network

A couple of tunes that really seem to fit with the adventure Mark is sharing down under, as the dream continues, here on the Radioman Network.

Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #5217
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Sydney

Still in Sydney enjoying a bit of time with my friends, although they left for a South American Holiday early this morning!

First, Logistics. I have a rear hub that has had a bearing loose in the hub. Have a temporary fix, but will need to get the hub replaced. Have been talking with Woodys Wheel Works in Colorado where I had them made. They have been great, and will be working out a way to get me a replacement hub. It is a shame that it failed at this early point, but was a bit my fault as I had a wheel bearing going out and did not catch it in time and it damaged the hub

That has taken a couple days to sort out. but this kind of thing is part of any RTW trip. Will get it worked out and know that I will ride confidently into the outback (with a slightly lighter wallet).

With the communications of today, I was on FB and an old High School buddy messages me. He is up on a call to Japan and we go back and forth for a bit catching up. His niece is living in Sydney, so he says, you should meet up. OK, cool.

So the other night I meet up with Makenna and her BF Hamish in Sydney. Wonderful meeting cool young people who are working, but also thinking about travel and seeing the world!

Cheers...

Having a bit of downtime, I am able to update some things on my Blog, work on video editing (NZ). So I was able to update my Route map on my blog. The orange is the actual ride so far.

And I get a chance to check out the area a bit as well. More critter signs around.

Then a trip to the Powerhouse museum for an hour or two. It is a typical interactive Science museum that is great for kids!

Planes, trains and Automobiles

and of course some Motorbikes

And then a flash back at some history.

the in/out workstation, and one small section of the first computer it was something like 16 meters long of cabinets (to do probably less than my watch :)

Then some information on how long are data will last. Sort of interesting as I remember so much of the early days of computing that became mainstream in the 80's.....

Of course we all visited museum like this as young students....

After the museum, I could not help but try another "best in Sydney" Pie

Had a nice chat with a Kiwi turned Aussie :) Politics etc.

The sticker on my bike seems to sum up my feeling very well.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #5218
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
A couple of tunes that really seem to fit with the adventure Mark is sharing down under, as the dream continues, here on the Radioman Network.
Thanks for providing the relevant musical interludes

Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #5219
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post

Meet Joe as he pulled up on his Honda 600. Here is his blog www.goldenbaytocapehorn.blogspot.com
We chat a little bit..... and Joe had been in South America with his cousin riding south to north we missed each other, but once again had common people that we had met or know.... Notice the clear blue sky .....

Joe cooked up a great steak, we had great conversations with some of the staff that runs the campground and area!! Such a great way to spend the day Thanks Joe!!
Guess who just showed up at my house?

I met Joe last September while he was riding though the area. His bike needed quite a bit of work after a hard year on the road, so I let him stay at my place and use my garage for a week or two as he got things sorted out. He was such a nice guy, I told him to swing back by next time he was in Durango. Well, it didn't take long. He say's hi.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #5220
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I told him to swing back by next time he was in Durango. Well, it didn't take long. He say's hi.
Yup. You have to be careful what you offer!

to both of you! I had a great time meeting and riding the beach with Joe. Will try to get my NZ video edited up soon!