User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #5386
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 153
Radioman Network

From the Great Barrier Reef to the Great Outback, on the road to find out. It's three in a row, here on the Radioman Network.

Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #5387
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post

Perfection!!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #5388
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,592
Still enjoying the RR

Urulu reminded me of the Songlines

From Wiki
A songline, also called dreaming track by Indigenous Australians within the animist indigenous belief system, is one of the paths across the land (or sometimes the sky) which mark the route followed by localised 'creator-beings' during the Dreaming. The paths of the songlines are recorded in traditional songs, stories, dance, and painting.

A knowledgeable person is able to navigate across the land by repeating the words of the song, which describe the location of landmarks, waterholes, and other natural phenomena. In some cases, the paths of the creator-beings are said to be evident from their marks, or petrosomatoglyphs, on the land, such as large depressions in the land which are said to be their footprints.

By singing the songs in the appropriate sequence, Indigenous people could navigate vast distances, often travelling through the deserts of Australia's interior. The continent of Australia contains an extensive system of songlines, some of which are of a few kilometres, whilst others traverse hundreds of kilometres through lands of many different Indigenous peoples — peoples who may speak markedly different languages and have different cultural traditions.

Since a songline can span the lands of several different language groups, different parts of the song are said to be in those different languages. Languages are not a barrier because the melodic contour of the song describes the nature of the land over which the song passes. The rhythm is what is crucial to understanding the song. Listening to the song of the land is the same as walking on this songline and observing the land.

In some cases, a songline has a particular direction, and walking the wrong way along a songline may be a sacrilegious act (e.g. climbing up Uluru where the correct direction is down). Traditional Aboriginal people regard all land as sacred, and the songs must be continually sung to keep the land "alive".

An interesting book by Bruce Chatwin that I read.

From Publishers Weekly
PW praised Chatwin's "entertaining" and "resonant" reflections on the distinctions between settled people and wanderers, and between human aggression and pacifism, as he searches central Australia for the pathways along which aborigines travel to perform their cultural activities.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #5389
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_knife View Post
Owsome trip and Owsome adventures
:thanks for the comment. Love seeing 1st posts in my thread!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #5390
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarmbruster View Post
Very clever of you to pick the perfect time of year to ride the outback, it is such a beautiful place.
Thanks Rob for your kind comments. Glad your following along.

Logistics and planning are important while planning a big ride. Actually I planned to be here during the winter so that the temps were cooler, and no rain up north But that meant not going to Tassie, and some colder weather in Victoria. Cannot have it all

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #5391
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #5392
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Next morning up at 6am, ride out to the other side of Uluru to watch the sunrise. It is 33 degrees (0C) . But part of what us tourists do out here. Feeling very much like a tourist as the buses, caravans all line up to head out to the rock.

As the sun starts to rise over the horizon.....

everyone poised with their Digital camera's Go Pro's etc to capture the moment

And here it is.

The moon is out.

with the Olgas in the distance

Time to get back on the road and head north.

I road out to Kings Canyon 300KM away, Then out along the Mereenie Loop Which is a couple hundred KM of unsealed roads.

Had to get a pass since I was crossing Aboriginal Lands.

Learning a bit about the culture and history of the Aboriginal peoples!

Getting a little look at the real outback. The road had some spots of heavy washboard and sandy patches.

in 200 KM I saw 3 Vehicles passing the other way.

Got a feel for the dusty red outback, and arrived back in Alice Springs before dark. Another 700+ KM day of riding!

Radioman screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 10:02 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #5393
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,702
Hi Mark!

My life will take a big turn August 28. While I have been on the road more than 50% of the time since Sheryl has been gone, there was always a home to come back to. After August 28 there will not be! That is the date of the closing on my house sale. It will be me and the 990 Adventure, plus a special friend. When we are not traveling, which should continue to be at least 50% of the time, we will live in Mexico.

I still miss Sheryl and I always will, but life does move on! I don't think that we leave those special people behind, they are with us the rest of our lives. I like that!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #5394
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,085
really great pics, have you seen any really big weird bugs?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #5395
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hi Mark!

It will be me and the 990 Adventure, plus a special friend. When we are not traveling, which should continue to be at least 50% of the time, we will live in Mexico.

I still miss Sheryl and I always will, but life does move on! I don't think that we leave those special people behind, they are with us the rest of our lives. I like that!

Donnie
Donnie. I am so glad for you!! Indeed we will never forget our loved ones even though they are now gone from our lives. The memories and the love we shared carries on.

So glad that your next chapter is going well. That is part of the grieving process. Carry on with new life!!

My chapter continues........ Enjoying every moment of this adventure and the experiences of each day. Right now I am solo and have become very comfortable with that for this time in my life. One never knows what new days bring, but I have changed during this chapter of life. Not sure I even understand yet what that means. I know that right now I cannot really put it into words. Maybe sometime later

Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #5396
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
have you seen any really big weird bugs?
Not really. But I know they are out there

Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #5397
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Riding North from the Big Red Center of Australia

A few have commented that I am moving along quickly through the middle of the outback. It is a long way to anywhere here, and I have enjoyed the long days riding through the outback. Stopping at all the roadhouses along the way, but riding 700-900KM a day And a special thanks to Don Weber, Mr Ed's Moto for the custom seat!! having your bike set up right for you is really important for enjoying these longer days in the saddle!

First stop north of Alice is Tropic of Capricorn

Looks who's been there before me. Simon and Lisa

It is a remote place. If your car breaks down sometimes you just leave it.

Most of the Roadhouses have character and history as they were the stops along the way for the travelers. Most people do not get to see the big expanses of the outback, as it takes time and money to go the distances.

Some displays of Aboriginal Art

Cannot imagine covering this territory 50-80 years ago by car.

As I continue up the road south of Tennant Creek, there is the Devils Pebbles National Reserve.

These are huge Granite rocks, that are just sitting about.

Playing Atlas

IdahoSam this one is for you. Learning to speak the Aussie Language. "she'l be Right, Mate"

More road trains headed north.

As I continue up north.... the signs say Explorers Highway

I arrive into Daly Waters and see the "historic Pub" in the town.

Looks good. Book myself in and head into the pub. Temps are 28C (85F) time to relax after 900KM of riding!

In the beer Garden is a Aussie Folk singer. Really great to sit back with some grey Nomads and enjoy some music!

Pub has been here a long time and the "town" has some real history as the first International Airport in Australia For flights from London, and also used in WWII.

The pub is decorated up with lots of stuff. License plates from all over the world.

Had a bit of a "feed" and a couple of "middies" of beer.

Typical Aussie Bloke in his shorts and boots.

It was a great place to stop over.

Radioman screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 03:43 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #5398
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
The Tropic of Capricorn has more stickers now than it had when I was there Mark. Enjoy the "Top End"
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #5399
Russ

Oddometer: 16,109
Cool stuff Mark
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #5400
Radioman OP
Moto rider

The Top End

Some good outback humor in Daly Waters

Liked this one

Lots of history here.

It's just 250 Km up the road to Katherine. So I have reached "the Top End" as they call it. Being winter up here it is the dry season Which is good because so many roads are posted that they are subject to flooding with 1-2 meter markers. It is also very comfortable temps to ride it! Cool in the am, warm in the afternoons!

A few thoughts while cranking out the miles outback.

I can only that I have lived a great life.

Great childhood, with wonderful parents and family. Have experienced my fair share of tragedy, hard work and "success", love, and loss. Now is the amazing opportunities to travel and see the world, and meet so many interesting people. I have great and supportive friends and family. One thing that stands out to me is to is having good*Health. I am extremely thankful, grateful and happy as I experience life.

I try not to sugar coat my thoughts, but the Ride Report only covers a small amount of the experiences, as you can imagine. Being able to share the journey with so many, has been a huge blessing.

Riding the great expanses of Australia has flooded me with memories of the
Past, present and thoughts of the future all mixed together. As I reflect on the part, live the present, think about the future.

Things that were, things that might have been, and things yet to happen.

My ride report is my journal of the trip I have shared the ups and Downs. I have learned about myself on this journey. Some good, some bad but the experiences are part of life.

What I have found, is that I am comfortable with me. I love being with people and hope someday to share it with some woman who I can love and be lived by. But right now, I am totally ok on my own. Life will change, I am sure of that! Comfortable embracing it!

The Grey Nomads line up for fuel at the "servo"

Nice "brekkie" at the pub. Not losing any weight in Australia

The aerodrome closed down several times including the most recent in 1985.

It was a busy WWII spot

I arrived in Katherine midday. It is a booming tourist jump off point. I found the Motorcycle dealer, bought some oil as it is time for a change. Fortunately they let me borrow a plastic dump container, and a place in the shade to change my oil!

Got it all drained and refilled! was missing a bolt on my bash plate, but they had a spare!

I rode out to Katherine Gorge for a couple nights. I stayed in a "tent Village" for $63/Night. But it included a bed in a tent, Dinner, 1 drink and Brekkie for each night I stayed. Very good value here!

Did not have to set up a tent, just put my gear in the tent, head down to the pool for my drink and relax a bit!

And the best part, was reconnecting with Dick and Diana as they are still riding in Oz as well. This bike looks familiar, last I saw the bike was in Argentina!!

They are such wonderful people, that I love spending time with them! They had me over to their place for dinner!

Once again it is great to see them again. Share some stories from the road and time! We plan to ride together as we head toward Broome! Will be good fun I am sure!

Radioman screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 03:22 PM