User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #5566
Gibba
sun and sand

Oddometer: 7
G'day Radioman
Sounds like you enjoyed the heat and mayhem of Dubai.
Reckon SA will look after you like the WA did. Not sure if you will find an ostritch pie though.
Have fun
Roger
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #5567
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,660
I hear those big cats can spray 10 feet or more. Watch your 6
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #5568
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Yes! I'm so psyched to travel through Africa vicariously through you! Do you have a route mapped out yet? East side or West side?
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #5569
RiaanGSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Laugh

Welcome to our backyard RadioMan. You will enjoy it here and for the record, there is no charging Rhino's or Elephants in the streets.
RiaanGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #5570
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,772
Rip it up, Radioman.
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #5571
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Where are the pictures of charging rhinos? You been there 12 hours already.
I think I was the charging Rhino as I rode out of the cargo depot

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #5572
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Update from Cape Town

Been a couple days since I arrived Cape Town. My motorbike was a couple days late out of Perth, but all is well as I know that it was on it's way. Thank Ivan from Bikesabroad.com.au for the help, updates on the weekend etc!

To make me feel welcome Jorg's wife had printed out a picture for me (as she knew i would be missing my motorbike) and had Chocolates need my bed . Wow 5 star services!!

Life is good for old Radioman!

Early Wednesday Am CapeKLR (Jorg and his lovely wife, Lili) drove down near the airport, Lili had to go to work early, so we dropped her off, then waited near the Customs House for Thandile from Seaboard Maritime Services who I hired to do the import paperwork, even though Ivan told me I would easily be able to do it myself.

Always security here in Cape Town.

Thankdile arrived to our prebooked Customs inspection. Walked over to the holding depot. and they had to find my bike.....

Always good to see the Crate looking in good condition being moved by forklift to the place to review the bike! With me was the lovely Customs Officer Zimkhitha and Thandile. Checked the Bike Vin with all the paperwork.

Approved Quickly ..... All smiles! Me, Thandile and Sister Zim!

But then we needed a form DA-74 and I needed to go pay the 1,350 Rand of Customs and misc fees (about $135 USD).

Then back to the Depot with my completed paperwork, Sign and stamped DA-74 form, and Carnet.

Was so great having Jorg with me.... Getting bike ready to put front wheel back on.

Riding it off the Crate. I have to say it is a great feeling to have my bike back, and ready to ride!!

Gave her a big hug!!

Then I signed out of Depot area, Exited for my first ride in South Africa!! Wahooo!

What a great felling. After planning to arrive in Cape Town during my trip, and the PM and arrangements with Jorg over the past 6 months! I'm Really here !

I will let Jorg post about how he felt as we went back to his place... The bike he has been following in a Ride Report for two years.... Is in his rear view mirror!

Then back to his home!

The security issues and measures to stay safe are clear here in Africa.

The sign is clear.

Safely back to his house and one of his bikes.

For those of you who follow along on my Spot device. Sorry no coverage in Africa I contacted them and was referred to their coverage maps.

Jorg took me a short tour around the city on evening. Beautiful!

Thursday we rode into Cape Town BMW as he needed some things and I needed a few things (oil filter, new Sprocket for later install)
Table Mountains sits right about the city. Cape Town has about 3 million people so not too many of the "big Five" to be seen roaming the streets. Soon enough!

Meet CapeKLR. My Great host in Cape Town. You will be seeing a great deal, as of end of next week we are on a 6 week ride north. I will post a map again later of the expected route!

South Africa !!

Then a few other stops including the local dealer for a new Chain for me, and I might have to change my sticker to Safety second with the purchase of a Leatt brace.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 04:49 AM
Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #5573
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
Have a blast in Africa Mark Nyree says hi.
Gday to my friends in Australia!!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #5574
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMad View Post
Welcome to your 7th continent Radioman.

I am in Johannesburg and if there is anything you need, hot dinner, garage to work on your bike or a place to crash for a night or two, we will be more than happy to host you in exchange for some stories.
PM sent Wow. Great to connect to other riders in Africa! Thanks!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #5575
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Welcome to Cape Town Mark, great to finally meet you after following this awesome ride report for 2 years now.
Been some six months or more now that we have been exhanging pm's and later emails about Mark's possible ride in South Africa and Africa, I have spent quite some time planning an interesting route for the two of us. Part of the way we will be joint by some local riders.
So after all this time to finally meet Mark and then especially when he was following me on his bike. I looked into the rear view mirror and there I see Mark on his bike following me was a surreal moment for me. I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming.
Thanks to iDave for mentioning Mark's ride report in one of his reports, that I started reading this one.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #5576
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,660
MA DOHNAM Madonna? I think you have achieved super star status....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #5577
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeklr View Post
Welcome to Cape Town Mark, great to finally meet you after following this awesome ride report for 2 years now.
Been some six months or more now that we have been exhanging pm's and later emails about Mark's possible ride in South Africa and Africa, I have spent quite some time planning an interesting route for the two of us. Part of the way we will be joint by some local riders.
So after all this time to finally meet Mark and then especially when he was following me on his bike. I looked into the rear view mirror and there I see Mark on his bike following me was a surreal moment for me. I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming.
Thanks to iDave for mentioning Mark's ride report in one of his reports, that I started reading this one.
Nice one there Jorge, catching up only page 300 leaving South America then off to Ausie still. Wellcome here Mark, hope you have a
swell time here and thanks for sharing many a riders dream. Looking forward to some more!
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #5578
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 153
Radioman Network

The Dark Continent calls, and Radioman answers, here on the Radioman Network.

Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #5579
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Wonder if you have enough room on all your gear to put these on: Backpack Flags

What's the current country count up to now?

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #5580
Chickentooth
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Best of luck in South Africa, if you have any problems in the North West province give me a call on 0829096212 more than willing to help.
Chickentooth is offline   Reply With Quote