Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #5611
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Another week in my life in Cape Town. been awhile since I posted....

Sit back and catch up

First. It has been great to stop, Meet and stay with Jorg and Lily , and get a few projects done that I have wanted to do for awhile.

I had wanted to build a small tool box to fit on the opposite side of the bike from the exhaust. Jorg is a mechanic and has a nice shop, so while he was busy servicing a bunch of KLR's and other cars. I designed the box out of cardboard.

Jorg Working

Went shopping for some Aluminum

It's Cape Town, so the warning about your property and Vehicles.

Once I purchased the materials, then layout them out into the shape of the custom box, hand cut the Aluminum. Then off to the Bending shop to have it turned into a box.

These guys were great! The "boss" even jumped into action for the last bend as they had to create a tool to fit my box. They were great and very precise! Love it!

They had to modify some materials to make a custom tool.

Almost folded up!

Back to the office to get a bill. Note the English /Afrikans. I think they liked me, as they only charged me 70 Rand (7.0 USD) to fold up two boxes and make 2 cuts!

Thanks to Jorg, I was able to find all the shops and materials around Cape Town.

Once folded, off to the welder.

Showed up, and he jumped into welding up my boxes!! Why two.... Could not decide on which thickness of Aluminum to use. 2MM or 3MM Make both, and decide. In Manufacturing making two is not much more work than making one.

Making progress

Had pre marked the pieces and how they were to be assembled and welded. Made the process fast.

Last weld. Thanks "johnme" Great job!!

As I was running around Cape Town, I really enjoyed the views of Table Mountain!

Had to buy a lock, Sealing material, some other bits and pieces, and replace my Tank bag Did not have the exact model Wolfman that I would have wanted... But one that would clip right in. Stopped at Wild@heart adventure moto Store. Met Johan

Got back to the house and Lily was making Dumplings by hand

Looks great!! She told me I was in for a treat!

She made 88 of them.....

Yummy Dumpings. I think the best I have ever had! As Lily says, " they are the 2nd best Dumpling in Cape Town,..... Because there is no #1 )

Then some more errands around Cape Town. Getting to know my way. Have to say, there are tons of Adventure Moto Shops around . Amazing! But it is like sending a kid into the candy store

KTM to get a new rear Sprocket. (just preparing for the wearing ...not needed yet)

Needed a new USB charging plug set up, so off to Flying Brick I go. Met Chris and Rinette. They were great!! Loved meeting you two! What a great Moto Shop that you have!

Here is the link to their Moto Store. It is being modified, but they have a video of their "Flying Brick" Luggage. Designed by Chris a Motorbiker for Motobikers! Awesome. Like I said, Kid in CAndy Store. I bought one of there bags to try out Looking forward to using it. Always looking for the perfect bag for my bike!

http://www.flyingbrick.co.za

and look at the View outside their Shop.

As I rode back out to Jorg and Lily's, I had to laugh. New bags on the bike, and other gear that I need.... Jorg said, we cannot let you out anymore on your own...... And you will not be allowed back in with anything else. You will not have any money to ride

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 11:32 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #5612
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
After Marks spending spree I have confiscated his wallet.
Or else we might have to cut our trip short, that would not be acceptable.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #5613
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeklr View Post

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #5614
Radioman OP
Moto rider

One more photo of Table Mountain as I ride to finish all prep for the ride beginning tomorrow Morning!

Another country and always different power plugs

Just a couple of photos of my finished tool box. All Blacked out!

Installed! total material, bending, Welding, Lock, and black tape. around 400 Rand ($40.00). Time building the box. Priceless!

Jorg Needed to return a Harley to a customer. So we took a ride to Camps Bay near Table Mountain.

Stunning day overlooking Camps Bay.

Looking back up to Table Mountain. Will get up to the top on the Gondola after we return from our 6 + week ride. Looks stunning!!

and the living creatures are out enjoying the day as well.

Such a great day that Lily suggested that we stop for lunch in Camps Bay

Here we are all enjoying a lovely lunch before our big ride begins! New friends in South Africa!

BAck at Jorg and Lily's and Jorg found a few broken welds on his pannier rack. So he welds them up! getting ready! almost there!

I installed my new Sena com system so I can talk with Jorg and Lily during the ride. (no singing allowed!

Just a couple of shots with the bike all packed up for the ride. Note. New Tank bag (looks too clean for my bike), and the new Flying Brick luggage on the back.

Nice set up with lots of outside pockets, and easy to see inside the rest of the bags.

Very Tidy work!

Two big sections with zip open tops. I think I am going to like this new set up!!

Chris is a biker and designed the luggage. Well thought out. Will see how the trip goes. Here is the link for you to see his video about the bags.

http://www.flyingbrick.co.za

As part of thsi journey, I am learning all kinds of new and different words. We would say Barbecue, and here in South Africa it is Braai

Tomorrow morning we will be riding east out of Cape Town. To see Swartberg Pass, the Hel. as we start our ride together. No internet for a few days ! Will just have to see how internet availability will be....

Stay Tuned - Africa Calling

Radioman screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 10:27 AM
Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #5615
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Hey Mark!!! Yep.........still following two years later!! Wow, has it really been that long.

Seems that Sam has ventured out of the northwest and is heading to Texas and maybe KW so I shot him a PM with an invite to the Casa!!!!!! I managed a couple of trips myself this year, Ecuador offroad and a run to Saint Anthony, New Foundland. No RRs just yet, hoping to get to them soon!!

Anyways..........Anxiously awaiting the next installment of the Great Radioman Adventure!!! Enjoy life, ride hard, ride safe!!

Andy
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #5616
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Anyways..........Anxiously awaiting the next installment of the Great Radioman Adventure!!! Enjoy life, ride hard, ride safe!!

Andy
A & A Heading out in the Am....

Old 09-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #5617
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeklr View Post
Or else we might have to cut our trip short, that would not be acceptable.
You could post up that really neat Flying Brick bag in the Flea Market for him, I'm SURE that there's another F800 rider who'd be more than happy to take that set off his hands...

I wonder what shipping would be from South Africa?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #5618
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
That flying brick luggage is pretty nifty
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #5619
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
A & A Heading out in the Am....
Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #5620
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,093
Guess it's ok to say hi to Mark and Andy.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #5621
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,369
I like the looks of that Flying Brick luggage. I watched the video but didn't search for availability in the U.S. I suspect I just get to drool over what's available somewhere else but not here.

I'm glad you have someone showing your around and keeping track of your wallet. Looking forward to the things you will be showing us next.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #5622
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,216
this is great stuff. I I have fond memories of Cape Town, but once you get out, you'll begin to see Africa!

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #5623
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Back again....

Mark,

Sorry I lost contact with your travels for awhile but I'm back and happy to see that things are going good at this point. I've got some catching up to do but I'll get there now that things are working again! You've done an amazing job of keeping in touch so thanks for that.

Stay safe,

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #5624
Russ

Oddometer: 15,104
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #5625
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Guess it's ok to say hi to Mark and Andy.

Hey Marty!!! We were just talking about you!!! I have some pics to send you, awesome shots of my WWMHD sticker!!!!!

Let us know when you lock down you January run to KW!! Get your reservation in early at The A2 Resort!!