Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #5671
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,528
Sir Mark (as I do believe you should be knighted), and to all others involved making this special thread continue, you have my deepest thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #5672
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 630
Good Karma

Mark,
I truly believe "what goes around comes around.". You are probably the best example of this. Your stator problem, how it occurred and how it ended up being resolved, to me, clearly demonstrates the positive energy surrounding, and hopefully following you.

You know I have followed this report from day one, if I recall correctly you had one minor get off in South Amerca that resulted in a sore ankle, a stolen glove, now a stolen tank bag and this minor occurrence, I may be missing a few more, but you get the point. IMHO few people could have traveled this far with so few bad things affecting them.

I'm very confident that this trip is part of your life's overall destiny. You are establishing the groundwork for the next chapter. The positive energy you are spreading will continue, and my thoughts are, affect an even broader audience than those of us in the ADV community.

Safe travels my friend...
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #5673
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
Wow, what an adventure you're having! Glad you've gotten the mechanical issues sorted out. The riding around there looks fantastic. Your beach photos remind me of when I spent a month and a half wondering the beaches with surfboard and windsurf gear between Table View and Jefferys Bay several years ago. Before I discovered motorcycles. Would love to go back some day and see it from 2 wheels.

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #5674
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica View Post
Mark,
I truly believe "what goes around comes around.". You are probably the best example of this. Your stator problem, how it occurred and how it ended up being resolved, to me, clearly demonstrates the positive energy surrounding, and hopefully following you.

You know I have followed this report from day one, if I recall correctly you had one minor get off in South Amerca that resulted in a sore ankle, a stolen glove, now a stolen tank bag and this minor occurrence, I may be missing a few more, but you get the point. IMHO few people could have traveled this far with so few bad things affecting them.

I'm very confident that this trip is part of your life's overall destiny. You are establishing the groundwork for the next chapter. The positive energy you are spreading will continue, and my thoughts are, affect an even broader audience than those of us in the ADV community.

Very true and well said!
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #5675
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 481
Hola Radioman,

First of all, you should probably think about trade"mark"ing that moniker. Just about two years ago today you started day two of your incredible ride south. So happy to be part of it and see the positive influence you have on so many people of different cultures and backgrounds. I think that being accepted and respected by so many by just sharing your thoughts, wisdom, ups and downs, and basically just being yourself, is the definition of a successful life.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #5676
scarter435
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Glad you're having such a good experience in SA. It's a great country.

BTW, your Spot tracking device doesn't work in most of Africa, so if you have it going, you're just wasting the battery; it shows your last location in Dubai. Check the Spot coverage map.

We discovered this on our last trip to visit our daughter and her family; they live near Durban. I don't know how you're planning to drive to Johannesburg, but the smaller roads going west from Durban are spectacular; we took a car to visit one particularly scenic area called the Midlands Meander , and saw lots of motorcyclists. One slight detour along the way is near Howick which commemorates the location where Nelson Mandela was captured. The exhibit in the nearby museum is excellent.

scarter435 screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 10:28 AM
scarter435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #5677
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,436
Good to see all is well Mark, still following your travels.

It's a small world, am in Wellington NZ just about to the ferry to Picton and ran into a Spanish couple, Jose and Pilar, on a 1200GS going the same way. We were talking about their trip and they're off to Africa next, and they brought your name up - obviously been following your report and they were reading about your experiences hoping to pick up some tips.

Cheers pal.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #5678
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
While you are in East London you should try hook up with another 2 great ADVRider travellers. Michnus and Metaljockey. They both live in Gonubie.

Born and bred 'Gonubien'. Damn I miss that place

Epic report BTW - understatement of all time!
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #5679
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Awesome~~~~

Thanks Mark,

This is turning into an Adventure for sure! Stay safe....

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #5680
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica View Post
Mark,

Thanks!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #5681
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarter435 View Post
Glad you're having such a good experience in SA. It's a great country.

BTW, your Spot tracking device doesn't work in most of Africa.
I posted that Spot does not cover Africa..... Oh Well. Guess I'll just have to keep posting my ride!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #5682
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post

It's a small world, am in Wellington NZ just about to the ferry to Picton and ran into a Spanish couple, Jose and Pilar, on a 1200GS going the same way. We were talking about their trip and they're off to Africa next, and they brought your name up - obviously been following your report and they were reading about your experiences hoping to pick up some tips.

Cheers pal.
Trev Nice to hear from you! Small Motorcycle world

Will continue to post my RR hopefully adding some helpful hints and info for others! So much to see and do!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #5683
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
Hola Radioman,

Just about two years ago today you started day two of your incredible ride south. So happy to be part of it and see the positive influence you have on so many people of different cultures and backgrounds. I think that being accepted and respected by so many by just sharing your thoughts, wisdom, ups and downs, and basically just being yourself, is the definition of a successful life.
:hola Pablo,

Was such a great time with Vanessa's class and opportunity to share a bit of my journey. 2 years has passed, 85,000 miles, too many amazing experiences to talk about, and the most important is all the people I have had the pleasure of meeting, sharing a meal with, talk about life. Wow!

Thanks for being apart of it!!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #5684
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
While you are in East London you should try hook up with another 2 great ADVRider travellers. Michnus and Metaljockey. They both live in Gonubie.
Bummer. Was there for a couple days and if I had known, I would have made contact

Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #5685
Radioman OP
Moto rider

No wifi for a few days. So I need to recap.

First. Jorg is all better now. His eyes were swollen shut, and we stayed in Gonubie for a couple days so that could heal up. Although it looked bad, he had no pain, just the body clearing out the poison!

It was hard to keep him from checking in with Wild Dogs and ADV while he was recovering.

While Jorg was relaxing and healing up, Lily was busy taking some photos in the area. and I got to get a few photos of them

and some of the locals enjoying the surf!

And while on the road, there are always little things that need to be repaired. Had a zipper that would go down too far, and come off the track. So I sewed up a stop to keep it from happening!

On Sunday morning we left Gonubie, to ride up around Lestho to catch up with the other KLR clan riders. Unfortunately we had to skip Sani Pass and Lestho due to the timing!

Filled with Petrol it is 13.0 Rand per Liter.

As we just started out of East London, the road felt a bit bumpy ...... When we stopped........

Yup. Blew the rear Shock.

We decided to carry on and rode the 600KM (360 Miles) through some beautiful area to the town of Fouriesburg. we rode up the N6 (friendly route)

Some signs warning of speed!

Then enjoying the countryside

and the mountains and buttes. Lestho is a mountainous country just east of us!

As we got closer to town, there was some stretches of highway that had lots of Potholes.... as they had marked with large road signs. This is where one appreciates suspension

We stayed at the Fouriesburg Country Inn that was a nice place, and had lots of bikers riding in!

Nice dining room

Prices are reasonable

We had a bit of the next day to relax and wait for the other riders, so taking time to smell the flowers!

The KLR riders rolled into town.

On monday Am, we started contacting places in Johannesburg to get a new shock. Fortunately Jorg, had contacted the Wilber rep in JoBurg, and he has one in stock. But Tuesday is a National Heritage Holiday. So I had to wait until Wednesday am for him to return to Joburg. The Adventure continues

As the boys got gear unpacked, off to the Pub!

Then onto a nice dinner within the Inn.

Trip down to the Wine Cellar

After dinner, the "fines committee" convened.

And the Jager flowed.

Tuesday Morning we rode the 300 KM up to Joburg.

[IMG]On the way up to Joburg. Had a chuckle at this restaurant

[/IMG]

Rick one of the guys on the group invited us to stay at his place the night

and we cross into the next state Gauteng, in South Africa for me!

getting closer to JoBurg, signs of lots of people!

Getting to Joburg with no shock was challenging as every bump in the road was really several. Not the best thing to do on the bike, but needed to get somewhere to replace the shock!!

Radioman screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 12:14 AM