Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #5701
voipwizard
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Looks like I came into this just in time.

Subscribed
Subscribed too!
voipwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #5702
coolsen
Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Okavango Delta. An Amazing experience! Barely have internet but just had to share a couple photos from my last 3 days in the Delta at a Safari Camp. So many big animals to see....... Just a couple in my Rear View Mirror

It will be some days before I have internet capable of uploading.... without paying a fortune. Welcome to Africa

Riding across Botswana tomorrow......
Great photos, Mark. Continuing to enjoy your report and adventures. Ride safe, and we wait with anticipation for your postings.

coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #5703
Another flat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Mark,
Joined the ride three days ago and just now made it to the present end. Man I love your dedicatin to each segment you are on, whether that be physically or mentally. You are inspiring a lot of us back home to quit saying someday or I'd like to.... Into saying why not and how about now? Thank you.
The other thought on my mind is the Alzheimer's, to be honest with you I have never stopped to consider how wide spread and how many and much it affects people. In my own life my grandfather and presently the lady I'm doing a project for but in stopping and reflecting it has affected about half the people I know in a close and personal way. I just wanted to say thank you for bring this rampant problem to our attention . I am truly sorry about your wife but am proud that you are not letting her and your struggles be for not, keep fighting the good fight.
I saw on your map that you had never been to Arkansas, somebody has let you down in not telling you that it has some of the best hills abd twisties in the country. Get your tailend down here when you return and we will spend a week or two riding briskly!!!
Keep pressing on.

Thanks again for the pictures, report and the desire to share.

Another Flat (Mark)
Another flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #5704
johnnybgood8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Got my bill for the repair on the side cover, new front tire, and picking me and my bike up in Coban.

I just reading now and all I can say for BMW is f*ck you. Japanese bikes all the way...
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #5705
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 308
Is that in US dollars?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #5706
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood8 View Post
Got my bill for the repair on the side cover, new front tire, and picking me and my bike up in Coban.
I just reading now and all I can say for BMW is f*ck you. Japanese bikes all the way...
Really, $450.00 US Dollars and you want a Jap bike. You got the repairs, new tire, bike pick up on the side of the road and labor and taxes to get you rolling, all for $450.00 US Dollars.

I'm sure there are plenty of used Jap/Chinees bikes in Guatemala for $450.00. Let's see you try and resell that, if its running.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.

BeachGuy screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 08:26 PM
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #5707
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,604
G'day from Melbourne

Hey Mark - just caught up with your travels since you were here a few months back.
Damn, your pictures are making me home-sick!
Too bad that you skipped Sani Pass and riding the high-altitude roads in Lesotho - hopefully you get another chance, as the people there are even more hospitable than is normal for Africa.
And it's nice to see that not only Italian bikes have electrical "issues". Glad you got it all sorted out though!
Bronnie says 'Hi!' - she just started her CFA training.
Ride Safe,
Cheers
Steve & Liz on the Caponords
Old 10-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #5708
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I finally caught up from post 1 all the way to today after weeks of reading. Thank you for sharing your stories and taking us along on your adventure. Your experience really hits home for me because I know I might be in your shoes one day. My fiance's family has a long history of cancer and her mom as well as most of her aunts died in their 50's. My hope is that we'll break the trend and I'm determined to make the most out of the next decades while cancer treatments advance. Thank you for carrying on with life and I'm wishing you the best on your travels. Let me know if you ever find yourself in NYC again.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #5709
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
sorry I'm late but -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
My friend, you sure are living it. Thanks again for taking us along.
I am really looking forward to Antartica
not me .... this is what I want ! ... Salta ... Mandoza ... maybe Bariloche.

then, cut across to Buenos Aires and really 'do Argentina' the way it's meant to be
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #5710
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Thank you for carrying on with life and I'm wishing you the best on your travels. Let me know if you ever find yourself in NYC again.
Be careful what you offer I will be in NYC at some point

Thanks for the comments. So sorry to hear of your Fiance's family history. You have the right attitude. As hard as it was to lose my wife Chris, I would marry her again, as we had a great love and life together. Caring for her was an honor and privilege (of course I would also not wish it on anyone). For better or worse. Make the most of your lives together!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #5711
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
not me .... this is what I want ! ... Salta ... Mandoza ... maybe Bariloche.

then, cut across to Buenos Aires and really 'do Argentina' the way it's meant to be
Thanks the great thing about ADV...... We share our rides and our lives, and hopefully inspire others to go ride their dreams!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #5712
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood8 View Post

This post really threw me..... Until I realized that it was about a post of mine in Guatemala. Wow..... a long time ago! First. All bikes have issues. This one I caused myself as I went off the road .... Damaged the casing and blew my front tire The BMW dealer sent a driver 5 hours north to pick me up, and then drive back to their shop 5 hours. They only charged me $50 USD Never would have happened in the US.

As for the $. It's life. I was glad not to have been hurt badly, and had another story to add to my life. Cheers.

Radioman screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 07:15 AM
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #5713
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
Is that in US dollars?
No, Guatemala quetzal's...... This was back in 2011

Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #5714
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Update.... finally have some decent internet

We stayed at the "white House Palace Hotel" in Serowe. It was on the edge of town and we had a fairly long ride to get to Maun the next day so that I would be there for my scheduled Safari the next morning.

The room was huge, as we both laughed. Jorg the next morning was checking out the Spa Tub.... (or washing his gear )

and of course new currency to get used to. Botswana Currency, the Pula

Botswana is Hot and dry this time of year. The rains will come next month.

500Km later we arrived Maun. Stayed at Audi Camp for the night.

I was up early to catch my flight out to the Okavango Delta. Jorg told me it is a "must Do" while here and I booked this couple months ago. Jorg had done this trip and decided not to spend the $ to go again. as it was around $1,800 USD for 3 nights + flying in and out.

On the flight out to was amazing, just me and the bush pilot. I was really enjoying what I call "natures Abstract artwork" . Just a few shots looking down at the changing landscape, the waterholes, animal and jeep tracks, colors and rocks form amazing art!

I arrived at the Remote Airstrip..... The Camp Guide and driver picked me up for the 30 minute bush ride to the Camp.

I arrived at camp to a lovely Welcome song sung by the staff.

Settled into my Tent for the next 3 nights.

Feeling a bit of Bush Luxury

Including a flush toliet. Even out in the remote camp.

Had to laugh one night, as I used the toilet. My motorcycle friends will get this..... Had no idea Triumph produced Toilet seats

and a shower that they heated my water for each day!

The lounge and dining room.

After afternoon tea, we headed off on a Mokoro (native Canoe) ride through the delta to Catch sunset. Saw Water Antelope and elephants crashing through the water from one island to another.

The camp Host, Taylor in the Mokoro next to me.

Mr T my guide and Mokoro Poler!

We enjoyed an African Sunset sitting in the Bush!

Since I could not ride my bike out here...... I decided to bring my mirror to help capture the experience!

Then back to Camp for a pre dinner Cocktail by the fire pit!

Sitting about the fire pit after dinner. Amazing to be out in a remote place, the peacefulness of the starry night, sounds of the bush all around. In wonder of how beautiful an experience this will be !

Just an amazing one in a lifetime experience to add to my collection of these experiences on this great chapter of life!

Radioman screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 12:24 AM
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #5715
DetoX68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
I finally caught up from post 1 all the way to today after weeks of reading.

It took me weeks also, but enjoyed every post. Keep on going Mark.