User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #5731
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Victoria Falls.

We stayed here ..... Had good internet and pool.

On the way out of town. One pic for Ken's thread!

Then we road across the bridge to get into Zambia and have a look at the other side. Checking out of Zimbabwe was very quick 15 minutes....

Then over the Iconic bridge.

On the Zambia side, we drive up to the Border building. Looks simple. IN one door, Out the other. windows to see the bikes.

I had to get a visa ..... Cost me $80 USD for Multiple entry for a month Then did Temp import for the bike. $10 USD, Then Road tax $10USD. Then as we road up to the gate, we needed to buy 3rd party insurance for 36USD. Expensive border crossing for me. Jorg did not need the entry visa because he is from SA

Welcome to Zambia!

We had set up a Walk out to the "devil's Pool"...... With the water being low, we could walk 1KM out to the Island.

Walking out!

You have to swim the last little bit to get there.

I am the first one of our group into the pool!!

Sitting on the edge!

The group had fun!

and you get to lean out over the edge! While the guide holds your leg!

Jorg in the Pool!

I think Jorg liked the experience

The "devils pool is right on the edge in that darker rock outcropping in the middle of the water.

Then our group walked back along the falls. Normally there would be water 6-10 Feet deep here.

and water all along the falls here.

another statue of Livingstone.

Double Rainbow!!

What a great experience!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #5732
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 890
Fantastic Mark, you'll remember the experience for ever, provided your blessed with a disease and injury free brain.
Love your work sunshine!
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #5733
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,456
Truly Epic! It is good to see you living such a vibrant life... and sharing it. Thank you!
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #5734
KipperMatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Mosi-oa-tunya is a wonderful place.

The falls at full clip are a sight to see, heck even at lower flow its still bloody amazing.

My ex was born in the bushlands of Gwelo Rhodesia (Gweru, Zim now as it is known since UDI) before the war and lived in a family owned gold mine and camp.

My Ex inlaws (outlaws?) presented me with some 1970's LP's a few years back that they wanted me to convert to CD for them. One of them was of John Edmond's "Mosi-oa-Tunya". I think in this song he passes the wonder of the Victoria Falls to the listener in song. I've been looking for the song on Youtoob, as I can't upload my cd version of the song.
((EDIT - removed the link i posted to a video, the sound track has been changed... sorry))

Take Care.

KipperMatic screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 11:40 AM
KipperMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #5735
Duchess
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,693
You look relaxed and very happy Mark ... its good to see the royal standard high tea which looks both delightful and delicious.

Nice to 'see' you again, I'll drop in again soon .... enjoy your travels my friend x
Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #5736
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Thanks the great thing about ADV...... We share our rides and our lives, and hopefully inspire others to go ride their dreams!
\
this stuff is inspiring allright .... intoxicating actually !

for now it's weekend rides and a 10-day trip once in awhile ... soon however it will be more ... much more .... keep 'em comin'
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #5737
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
high tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
You look relaxed and very happy Mark ... its good to see the royal standard high tea which looks both delightful and delicious.
High Tea .... just like they serve at The Empress in Victoria, BC !

.... all this stuff is too much for those of us incarcerated in our cubicles ....
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #5738
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Nice pic, just like the clown walking the tight rope -rock in the back
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #5739
Radioman OP
Moto rider

We stayed at the Fawlty Towers Lodge in Livingstone. Nice pool and friendly people working here. Parked the bikes in front of the room.

Next day we were off riding north and east again to stay on Lake Karibe. Lots of colorful people and woman carrying loads on their heads.

We had a couple of Police stops on the way. They stopped us to chat but quickly waved us onward.

Stopped for Petrol along the way. Had to chuckle as lots of cars were parked right in front of this sign.

As we got within 20 KM, the GPS were not really getting the right tracks so we just adventured through some small villages in the sandy tracks..

Jorgs bike took a little nap in the deep sand.

The local kids came to take a look.

We arrived at the lake View lodge. We warmly greeted. We got a chalet that was overlooking the Lake.

It was very hot and it was time for a swim in the pool.

and then a meal overlooking the Lake

In the evening lots of fishing boats heading out to fish at night.

At night the lights of the fishing boats were all across the lake. Seemed like hundreds of them.

The next morning (wednesday) we started off to ride north/east to get to the other end of Lake Karebe and the big dam.

But........

During the 20Km of dirt and sand my bike started handling a bit funny

and as we pulled out onto the Tar road........ It was clear that my new rear Wilbur shock had blown Yikes.... Now what?

We decided that there would be no-one to repair my shock. We got into some Cel coverage and called Mr BlingKing where i just purchased the shock less that 10 days ago...... Denver was at a loss..... (as we were, since we had only ridden less than 2,000 KM and only about 50KM of gravel/sand roads and not really rough ones at that). Denver did not have a new replacement on hand.... so We told him that we would ride the 375 KM back to Livingstone figuring that they had flights from Joburg. I could not ride the bike like it is.

Real Bummer. But in reality no one is hurt and somehow we will get this resolved. Upon arrival back in Livingstone and getting accommodation. Called Denver. He had found a used shock and installed my Original Hyperpro spring on it and had called DHL to come get it and send it overnight to me. Great ......

Now we wait I tracked the package, and then next morning walked up to DHL office less than a KM from the hotel. They thought that since it shipped Wednesday afternoon that it would arrive Saturday AM in Livingstone.

OK couple days here to relax (of course it is not part of the trip plans and agenda, but we needed to adjust and find a few more things to do.

Fortunately with Livingstone being near Victoria Falls, there are touristy things to do. Jorg really likes Trains, so as I was checking out activities, I found a Steam train dinner event. We signed up.

They picked us up. then had a red carpet to board the train.

Taking us back in time, we boarded the train. Had cocktails served to us, then the train rolled down the tracks to stop on the Victoria Falls bridge for sunset !

The beauty of the train is that we got to meet people from all over the world!! Met a lovely woman named Mary who has lived for 40 of her 70 years here in Zambia! Had a lovely chat. She had her sister and sisters Husband over for a visit! Mary

Stopped on the bridge

The Hawkers offering "sunset" deals on assorted Wooden animals and such. We had some fun exchanges.

As sunset came and went, we rolled back down the tracks until we stopped for dinner hour.

Fancy 5 course dinner to be served!

Main course was Very tasty Lamb

Next morning I had booked a Micro Flight over the falls (Jorg had done one years ago, and highly recommended it!)

Buckling into the Micro Light

Lift off

High above the falls! Very cool experience!

and flying back over the park, I could see Elephants, hippos, Crocodiles, Zebras, Giraffes etc.

Back on the ground again!!

So now I wait ........... had some good times while waiting, but would rather be riding

Unfortunately, after a very quick and speedy start by Denver, As i checked the tracking expecting to see that the shock was in Zambia and on it way to me...... It was stuck in JoBurg Texted Denver to check on this..... He let me know that Somehow an official needed a "dangerous Goods" declaration Denver has shipped all over Africa and not had to do this

So now we are up in the air. It's Friday. DHL is only open until Noon on Saturday.... Closed Sunday. Bummer. Of course it is all part of the Adventure. We have a great place to stay, even if we want to on the road.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 07:56 AM
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #5740
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
Nice to 'see' you again, I'll drop in again soon .... enjoy your travels my friend x
to you! Hope all is well

Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #5741
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
.... all this stuff is too much for those of us incarcerated in our cubicles ....
Glad to share the journey and adventures.......

Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #5742
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Posted on Facebook about my Shock failure. Comment of FB

First world problem in the third world?

LOL Yup. Relax. Sit by the pool, go on an safari... have a cold beer and a nap.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #5743
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Hey Mark bummer about the shock but it's all part of it as you say

I was wondering about your micro flight as I had a buddy that did that sort of thing some time back and I recall a lot of those dudes using older oilhead BMW boxers engines on their machines. Did you get a chance to check out the powerplant? If so, what was it?

Great update by the way, seems that Africa already has had lots of adventure rigth off the bat!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #5744
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
I was wondering about your micro flight as I had a buddy that did that sort of thing some time back and I recall a lot of those dudes using older oilhead BMW boxers engines on their machines. Did you get a chance to check out the powerplant? If so, what was it?
Indeed I checked it out. No photos as they did not allow cameras except theirs mounted on the wing.

it was a 4 cylinder Rotax engine.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #5745
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Ahh Rotax, also very good stuff!