Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #5791
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,969
Next morning we we off and riding again. Loving the Blue sky and slightly cooler temps!

Just riding my own ride. Enjoying the beauty of the area and taking it all in!!

Have seen many wooden power poles along the way, with the old glass insulators.

A bit of a tar road as we ride toward Fish River Canyon

Just another 200 Km of Gravel roads to see the Canyon

and had to leave a sticker :)

Stopped at the Roadhouse to take a look. It was still early, so we decided to ride on instead of stopping for the night.

Was a cool place to check out though.

The inside was all decorated up ..... So much stuff to look at all around!

Liked this sign

and posters.

Then road down to the big Fish River Canyon Lookout!

One nice lookout.

It is the deepest canyon in Africa (debatable about the "biggest") but still really great.

What I like is that it is just natural. Two lookouts and then a rocky track along the canyon wall. Not one sign warning you not to fall over the edge!!

Onward down the road to Ai Ais which we found out is down in the bottom of the canyon and has Hot Springs So we set up camp and had a great soak in the pools!

I liked the trees.

and the bark

We decided this was our last night in Namibia and that we would ride south into South Africa the next day. Only 800KM to Jorg and Lily's house..... Hey we will surprise her and arrive early

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 09:36 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #5792
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 146
Radioman Network

Seems like time is giving Radioman a little trouble. Time to kick a little sand in its teeth. Chiming in with Time, here on the Radioman Network.

Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #5793
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Thursday 10.24.13 we have a nice breakfast overlooking the Ai Ais Spa campsites.

Then road our last bit of gravel road in Namibia.

Just a great day. Had a smile on my face and we rode south on this cooler, Blue sky day. Rolling up the miles.......

We got to the "tar" road and were now Slabbing it back to Cape Town!

We arrived to the border at 10 Am. Stamped out of Namibia

Across the Orange river into South Africa!! The first gate check, the guy looks at my bike license plate and has a very funny look..... "have you not seen an United States license plate".... Ha we all laughed! Wondering will this be my last foreign border crossing of my journey?

Into the SA border station. They had nice covered parking spots! Got stamped back into South Africa, then Carnet stamped into South Africa. Last stop was a police checkpoint, and the final gate.

At the police stop that Lady was giving Jorg a hard time about leaving his bike with her. Then I offered her a chance to sit on mine..... She loved it!! She had a great smile and sense of humor, and waved us through!

Unfortunately no "welcome to South Africa" sign at this border post..... Just lots of road construction as we headed south. Stopped more than a dozen times.... Ask Jorg how much he loves road construction stops!

We are just 300 Km from home (jorgs home and my Temp South African Home ). and we see dark storm clouds with lots of lightening We roll on as there is nowhere really to stop. Then the heavy rain starts and the thunder is now close. I am not wild about riding with Lightening like this ..... Read a few stories of guys on bikes hit by lightening. Quickly we were both soaked from the rain. So we stopped in the next little Village. and thanks to GPS found a Guesthouse to get some shelter for the night.

The center of town as the storms keep moving through. The town was Vanhyndorp. The rain let up a little and we walked to find some dinner. All the signs were in Afrikans.

The fish shop on the corner for a simple meal.

Friday Morning, we had a good breakfast and were ready to now surprise Lily on our return. Road the last 300 Km Arrived home before Noon. Unpacked the bikes, showered and checked in with email, Fb, ADVrider, then getting gear into the washing machine, etc.

Lily arrived and was surprised but happy to have us back

She arranged for all of us to go down and get a Thai Massage Then off to celebrate with dinner nearby at Spurs (SA chain of restaurants based on Wild west and indian theme ).

What a great time over the last 6 weeks, 9,500 Km, 5 countries in the southern part of Africa! Loving it!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 10-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #5794
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Hi Mark, I must admit to a bit of envy toward your travels . Sure do enjoy reading your reports and especially the photos.
My dad is doing well in the care home and my bike is being serviced. I hear the Redwood coast calling me, so I have hope the beautiful fall weather we are having holds for another week or two.

Hope you can stop by again when you next pass through this area.
Safe travels, Jan
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #5795
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,978
Wow you saw lots of big game in those Namibia parks, seems like even better than what I saw in Kruger years ago. Keep the great stories and photos coming Mark
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #5796
azorat
grand Vizir

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
... It is always appreciated when people post and comment. It really is an encouragement for me as I have shared life with so many ...... and I know that it has been great to be able to do so.....

Will continue on! Thanks again!
Hello Radioman!
I restrained myself from posting how much I love reading about your travels and your way of doing your phase 3 of your life.
I was sort of afraid of "barging in" and wasting bandwidth and precious space on your thread.
But after reading your comment indicating that you appreciate a post, I decided to send this message to the list.

Radioman: you are great - thank you so much for taking us with you.
We really appreciate the efforts you put in in taking pictures, posting them, adding very nice commentary. Thanx again.

(should you happen to come to Italy, I would love to host you here).
azorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #5797
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by azorat View Post
Hello Radioman!
I restrained myself from posting how much I love reading about your travels and your way of doing your phase 3 of your life.
I was sort of afraid of "barging in" and wasting bandwidth and precious space on your thread.

Radioman: you are great - thank you so much for taking us with you.
We really appreciate the efforts you put in in taking pictures, posting them, adding very nice commentary. Thanx again.

(should you happen to come to Italy, I would love to host you here).
Thanks so much for posting!! You certainly are not "barging in or wasting bandwidth. To me it adds to the RR as people from all over the world participate in my adventures. It is an honor and much appreciated!

Gladly sharing my ride and life experiences! That is the beauty of Ride reports

And thanks so much for the offer in Italy. My plans never included Europe, only because I traveled extensively in Europe and certainly had 5-6 great trips to Italy over the years..... But if I change my mind, I will let you know!

Radioman screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 01:19 PM
Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #5798
Russ

Oddometer: 15,502
Great stuff Mark, makes me homesick, really glad you are enjoying Namibia.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #5799
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Hiya Radioman - Now that you've got Africa under your belt, where to next? Although we've had a spot of nice weather back here in Oregon, those warm dry days in Africa sure look a lot more pleasant than a dark rainy winter back here.

Regardless, looks like you've been living it up in Africa, and one heck of an adventure. Reading your reports is a highlight of my day.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #5800
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
Great stuff Mark, makes me homesick, really glad you are enjoying Namibia.
I can see why. Hope all is well!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #5801
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Hiya Radioman - Now that you've got Africa under your belt, where to next?
First. I have only seen a small bit of Africa, Like Scratching the surface! Has been fantastic, but truly you could spend a great deal of time riding here! Still have to ride the Garden Route, ride to a wild dogs Braai in Cederburg area, and a few other rides.

Will update soon on the next steps in my journey!

Radioman screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 08:40 PM
Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #5802
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
that sign is not but what is being taught in our schools here in america today
phonical spelling-the way you pronounce it,you can imagine what they would come up with, having an africans writer and an chinese editor.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #5803
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Mark! So good to see you're getting on with it. You've gone a long way from when we met in Stecoah!
Is the replacement F800 treating you well? Any problems getting good gasoline there?

Your friend,
John Nail
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #5804
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
Mark! So good to see you're getting on with it. You've gone a long way from when we met in Stecoah!
Is the replacement F800 treating you well? Any problems getting good gasoline there?

Your friend,
John Nail
hello John. We met at HU gathering in NC in 2011..... and I am still going !!

F800 has been going well. Just blown Shock in Zambia..... But think that is sorted out now. Petrol has been fine here. No issues so far.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #5805
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
As long as you can smile, keep on keepin' on!