Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #5836
TechnomadicJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Had to laugh this morning as Jorg says, "some guy started a new ride report in South Africa...... and he has a photo in Die Hel that has your sticker in it "

I was speaking with Chris at Flying Brick Yesterday, and he was telling me about TechnomadnicJim. Might be fun to follow along.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930940

spot the RM sticker
Nice to meet you today Mark :) Thanks again for the coffee, juice and chat. Here's the photo of us by the globe. I hope to see you at the ciederberg meet this weekend. Ride safe!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #5837
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by reboundrider View Post
Mark, what kind of tires did you put on the bike this time? Just curious about what drove your tire selection this time.
Bought Anakee 2's . Never ridden them, just happened to find a set and I will be riding move Tar roads and less gravel in the near future! We will see how it goes.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #5838
whitedelight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Oasis weekend

Jim you and Mark are in for a big party this Saturday night in one of the most beautiful settings .
2005 vrcsa VRod
2006 DRZ400SM
whitedelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #5839
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedelight View Post
Jim you and Mark are in for a big party this Saturday night in one of the most beautiful settings .
Good to see the man is getting some South African WildDog hospitality.
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #5840
Radioman OP
Moto rider

As I continue to get things sorted out. My true replacement arrived from Denver after being rebuilt. He has been great about getting a bad shock replaced on the road and following up to get this one rebuilt and set up.

Thanks Denver of BlingKing!!

Old shock out, new one in!

Then Thursday Afternoon we rode down for the gathering at Outriders shop. Thanks Peter!

He has an afternoon Braai, and get together

and has some humor as well

And my flags came into Flying Brick..... Adds a bit to the ride story on the bike.

The weekend we rode down to Cape Agulhas ......

I made it to the most southernly Point in Africa!!

Has been great riding with Jorg and Lily!! They have been fantastic tour guides

And seeing some of the local sights. Many ships do not make it.

Then a stop at a seaside cafe for lunch!

Then we stayed at Wheatlands Lodge in Bredasdorp! What a great stay with friends Donald and Janet !!

http://www.wheatlandslodge.co.za

We had a great dinner down the street. Lamb chops were tasty!

Breakfast as terrific!

Thanks Donald and Janet! Was great meeting you and the lovely stay!

Then a ride back to Cape Town.

Spotting the national Bird. The blue Crane

another blue sky day!

and some more sightseeing..... Love the Moto parking

Then the overview in Hermanus

The coastal ride is great!

Back in Cape Town after stopping to see some Friends of Jorg and Lily's in Gordons bay. Great day trip riding all around Cape Town!!

Monday Morning, I got to meet up with long time family friends who happen to be touring through Cape Town. Was such a treat to meet up with Bill and Johanna!!

And then got to meet up with TechnomadicJim, who is starting his 9 month ride through Africa on a Honda 200 farm bike!

Which bike is not like the others?

It was great to take a look at the globe and see all that I have ridden over the past couple years..... Knowing that it has been an amazing journey that has connected me with friends all over the world, and changed my life forever.

But like all things. They will come to an end. Mine will take me back to Portland, Oregon

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #5841
Radioman OP
Moto rider

The time has come............

Cannot hold back any long

When I left on this Epic Journey back in June 2011, I did not really know how long it would take or the exact routes I would follow. But what I did know is that one day, this Chapter of my life would come to an end. I left it all open, so that I could experience whatever opportunities or challenges arose. I think I did that ! and More!

Several months ago, it started to be clear that it was about time to head for "home". As my finances that I set aside for this journey continued to be spent, and knowing I would need to start the next chapter ...... It is clear for me.

Still putting together my thoughts, but I am comfortable with the journey I have been on. The generosity of "strangers" has helped me to stay on the road for 29 months now. I have had amazing experiences, and made lifetime friends!! I am so grateful for the time and resources to go this far. Did I see the entire world? NO. But I made a dent and enjoyed my time in all the places I visited. and it certainly does not mean I will not ride my bike in other places in the world......

It will be a chapter of life ending, and then all new beginnings. I do not have it all planned out. Just finished arranging shipping of my bike and me from Cape Town to Los Angeles (cheapest option for air freight). Have given notice to my Renters and will move back into my house on January 1, 2014. The rest will evolve.

:happy

It feels good to have made the decision. The only part I regret is that it will be winter in the states. Otherwise I would have planned to do some ADV rallies, and meet ups along the way.

But stay turned, as I still have some good riding and adventures here in South Africa, and it will also take me some time once I land in LA ...... Of course I am not riding straight back to the Oregon. Will have a bit of time to catch up with family and friends along the way.

Couple other cool things. I plan on doing some presentations at some Motorcycle dealers in the near future. So that I can share some stories in person, videos, photos and some of the basics to this kind of world travel. More on this soon!!

Will have lots more to say in the weeks ahead. But for all that have been following along. Thank You!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #5842
Russ

Oddometer: 15,102
Quote:
Cannot hold back any long

When I left on this Epic Journey back in June 2011, I did not really know how long it would take or the exact routes I would follow. But what I did know is that one day, this Chapter of my life would come to an end. I left it all open, so that I could experience whatever opportunities or challenges arose. I think I did that ! and More!

Several months ago, it started to be clear that it was about time to head for "home". As my finances that I set aside for this journey continued to be spent, and knowing I would need to start the next chapter ...... It is clear for me.

Still putting together my thoughts, but I am comfortable with the journey I have been on. The generosity of "strangers" has helped me to stay on the road for 29 months now. I have had amazing experiences, and made lifetime friends!! I am so grateful for the time and resources to go this far. Did I see the entire world? NO. But I made a dent and enjoyed my time in all the places I visited. and it certainly does not mean I will not ride my bike in other places in the world......

It will be a chapter of life ending, and then all new beginnings. I do not have it all planned out. Just finished arranging shipping of my bike and me from Cape Town to Los Angeles (cheapest option for air freight). Have given notice to my Renters and will move back into my house on January 1, 2014. The rest will evolve.

:happy

It feels good to have made the decision. The only part I regret is that it will be winter in the states. Otherwise I would have planned to do some ADV rallies, and meet ups along the way.

But stay turned, as I still have some good riding and adventures here in South Africa, and it will also take me some time once I land in LA ...... Of course I am not riding straight back to the Oregon. Will have a bit of time to catch up with family and friends along the way.

Couple other cool things. I plan on doing some presentations at some Motorcycle dealers in the near future. So that I can share some stories in person, videos, photos and some of the basics to this kind of world travel. More on this soon!!

Will have lots more to say in the weeks ahead. But for all that have been following along. Thank You!
Thanks for taking us along Mark it's been an incredible journey, I got the feeling when you were in Sydney that your trip was coming to an end.

Time to head home and work out the next stage in the adventures of Radioman

You can always go again if you want, and if you ever want to visit Australia again or go for a ride you know how to contact us.
All the best my friend.

Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #5843
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
You can always go again if you want, and if you ever want to visit Australia again or go for a ride you know how to contact us.
All the best my friend.

Russ
Thanks Russ. Was so great meeting you two in person (please say hello to Nyree!!!) and spending a bit of time together. I can see why you miss SA!

Radioman screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 02:37 AM
Old 11-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #5844
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Thank you Mark

For taking us on your ride, and for raising awareness on Alzheimers. I have been following you and checking practically everyday for your updates. Even when I was down with my broken leg, I felt like I still got to go out riding thru your adventure. Happy trails and carry on.
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #5845
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
For taking us on your ride, and for raising awareness on Alzheimers. I have been following you and checking practically everyday for your updates. Even when I was down with my broken leg, I felt like I still got to go out riding thru your adventure. Happy trails and carry on.
Thanks. Hope the leg has healed up!!

The journey is not over for a couple months...... Stay tuned!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #5846
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
The leg is doing pretty ok, in fact I did an Iron Butt ride this weekend.
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #5847
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Awesome!!!!!!!!! All roads finally lead to home ( we hope ) . I want to Thank YOU for all the time and work to share this adventure of yours with us that will never get to see or learn about these places besides the BS the media puts out. I have learned so much about the world and people though reports such as yours. Again. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #5848
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Its been an awesome ride, thanks for taking us along Mark.
Glad we could host you here in Perth and look forward to your return visit!
Enjoy the rest of your time in Africa - watch out, it'll get in your blood and you'll just have to return.
You have done an amazing job of keeping your report running over such a long time and you are singlehandedly responsible for part of the world wide drop in productivity - too many people checking your report and not working. Companies around the globe will be glad you are wrapping it up.
Enjoy the end of this chapter and we look forward to hearing about the next.
Rob and Di
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #5849
rmarmbruster
Roba

Oddometer: 160
Marc,
Thanks for sharing your journey, man what a ride it's been fantastic. I look forward to reading your book some day - no pressure.

I am also relieved you have made your decision about the time to return and enjoy your family home again, there is no place like home.

Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers

Rob A.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #5850
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
It will be a chapter of life ending,
It will be a chapter of our life ending too. Over two years of following Radioman. What an adventure for all of us. Thank you!
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member

lfs225 screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 12:12 PM
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote