Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #5911
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Sorry for the barrage of replies, but was without internet and really have been touched by the kind posts and comments about my Ride Report. Humbled by so much interaction, generosity and kindness now and all along the way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
There is hardly anything that I enjoy more than a well told story. Thank you.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSABest View Post
Awesome! Inspirational! Motivational! Splendid! Emotional! Wonderful!...
Too many superlatives to describe your ride report! WELL DONE!!!
So glad that some of these words can be used as a description of my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandCanonShootr View Post
Thanks for allowing us to follow along with you on this chapter of your life. The friends you have made, the lives you have touched, across the globe, priceless.
Thanks! Indeed it has been amazing! Thanks for participating!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #5912
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterChaos View Post
Like the rest, sad to see your report ending but interested to see how the next chapter starts! If you need anything or someone to buy you lunch near San Luis Obispo on your trip up the PCH feel free to drop me a line. I live just south of SLO.
Will PM you in December :)

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 11-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #5913
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokLobster View Post
A sincere thank you Mark. I too have been following along since the beginning of your ride (I joined the forum because of your report) and have vicariously lived your adventure and am saddened to hear that it will soon end. There are a few bikers on this site that are inspiring in their travels - Colebatch, RoninMoto (Noah), iDave, RTWDoug, and many others (too many to list here) and of course Radioman. The difference to me, between you and the others, is you have shared multiple journeys - the loss of Chris, your healing process, and your travels. For this, and your sincerity in sharing those journeys, we thank you and I for one will miss my daily checks to see where you are in the world and in what new adventures you have participated.
Thank You. Wow! (I have a strong tie to Maine as I was born there :) before my parents moved out to Seattle in the 1960's...... No doubt will get back there someday soon for a few Lobster rolls!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardfci View Post
Thanks for taking me along.
Has been a pleasure to have so many riding along this journey with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrev View Post
Radioman,
The last time I posted was not long after you passed thru the Texas panhandle and it was 107 degrees, I think. Look what has happened in your life since. Its been very special keeping up with your adventure.
Bob as i have been reflecting back, it is amazing to think of all the miles, experiences, people and places that this chapter has taken me!!

Radioman screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 11:53 AM
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #5914
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaWife View Post
I go out of town for a few days and come back to the end of the journey?

And what an amazing journey it has been!

Thanks so much for taking us along:

We moved from Orcutt down to Buellton. Bigger house within walking distance to brewery and winery. Lots of good riding and bicycling around here. You are welcome any time!

Sandy and Dana
Not too much moss growing under me these days

So glad you two are along. Will certainly be in touch as I ride north....

Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #5915
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by azorat View Post
Mark,
I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of "thank you" that is coming out of this amazing community.

You also made us sombrely reflect on the realities of Alzheimer's disease and you made us cry with the story of Reesey.
(for those who missed the posts back in 2012: a 2 year girl that developed cancer. From what I see in her mother's blog, Reesey is not of of danger, but she is doing better).

Keep us posted on next Chapter 4 on your life - and keep on doing your "Radioman jump"!
Thank You for reading and sharing in this journey and taking away some important things! Will get an update out soon on Reesey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarter435 View Post
I join everyone else in congratulating you on a magnificent ride report, which ought to be made into a book or a movie.

Thanks for sharing your life - and your outlook on the world - with us. It's been an inspiration to many.
Thank You Will be interesting to see what opportunities that develop as I ride into the next chapter! Stay tuned!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #5916
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond_Explorer View Post
Mark, when you were here in Sydney, I thought you might end up with a job or marry an Australian bikini model. But then I always remember someone's tag line, "a wife and a steady job have been the ruin of many a good biker".

We wish you well, Mark, and hope to catch up one day with you in the USA! Thanks for inspiring us with your travels and wonderful stories.
Well I had a line on the job as part of your first comments (but of course it would have stopped the ride to do it )... The Bikini model was just somewhere in my dreams

Thanks so much for your generosity and the friendship Lee!! Was an amazing part of my travels to Australia and truly a highlight!! It will be a story I tell for years!

Will look forward to seeing you again someday! Cheers to you and Mary!

Old 11-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #5917
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Hey Mark,
WOW!! Thats how my Sunday morning starting after catching up from a few weeks of way to much stuff going on. I can't believe the journey is coming to an end, but I am happy that you are returning back home safe.

I know I am not the only one that has followed you from the start, but what I didn't realize until I went back and looked this morning was just how long I have been following this RR. I realized that I was the 4th post on this 400 page thread!!! First 3 were yours!!!!! Although I have only met you briefly, I, along with the rest of the ADV community, feel like I have known you a lifetime!! You pour your heart into writing about all your travels, I have read the other RRs, and know deep down you are one very special person and very easy to make a friend.

I can say that I am happy and sad this morning. Your adventures are inspiring, you words make us all see there is still good in people and the world in general. So I am sad to see this chapter end. But I am happy that you are coming home and will be able to move on with the next chapter and maybe just be more Mark than Radioman for a little while. I am sure your family misses you and will be very glad to have you home for the holidays.
Andy so cool that you were my first poster!! Seems like a lifetime ago that I started this thread. And truly had no idea what this Ride Report would become! Just a guy starting off on a Bike ride of his dreams. I had no idea But willing to just do it! Wow The journey has been an amazing one that has connected me with so many fine and amazing people!!

Appreciate your comments and know that someday I will meet up with you two again!! Certainly you will be welcome at Casa Radioman (wherever this ends up..... I say this because I really do not know what the next chapter will bring.. None of us really do, but I am trying to keep all options open. See what happens!)

Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #5918
250Keith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I have read every single post in your ride report!!! love every single post!!.
That said i'm going through the same thing you went through with your lovely wife, but with my aunt, my uncle is a saint!!! and so are you!!
I'm from Molalla and my kids still live up there in Portland, I would love to hear you speak one day.
I know your not done with this ride report yet.
I wish you the best in your travels .
Keith.
250Keith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #5919
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Keith View Post
That said i'm going through the same thing you went through with your lovely wife, but with my aunt, my uncle is a saint!!! and so are you!!

I'm from Molalla and my kids still live up there in Portland, I would love to hear you speak one day.
I know your not done with this ride report yet.
Keith,

First. Sorry to read about your Aunt. Indeed your uncle the caregiver is a hero in my mind. Not an easy road to walk!

Hopefully you will get the chance to come hear my presentation in Late January. Will post up details as we get a little closer!

Radioman screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 06:54 AM
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #5920
senecahome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thanks

I, like many others, have been following along but haven't posted much. But I too want to express my thanks for sharing so candidly with us and for allowing us to enjoy so many experiences, countries, events, etc that we will not likely be able to do personally. When I have mentioned your journey to others, I tend to want to refer to you as " my friend Mark." Sure hope that isn't too presumptuous but am sure many others feel the same even though we haven't met you in person.

So, as this chapter ends, know that you are always welcome here anytime you get to the East (Virginia). I'm near the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive so let me know if you are ever in the "neighborhood." Would love to have you visit.

Thanks again !! -Glen
senecahome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #5921
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Had a last night in Hermanus, with a beautiful sunset over the water.

Then back to Cape Town. Had Lunch with a friend in Stellenbosch on the way back to Jorg and Lilys home (or my home away from home ). Was great to spend time sharing my journey!

Then I had to get into Cape Town and Pay for my shipping of the bike.

Bike air freight shipping is now paid for.

and also dropped off my Carnet at the Shippers so they could prepare the final paperwork.

Then early Friday am.... Met up with David and Paul at the given coordinates so could ride up to Cederberg Oasis and a WildDog meet up!

As Goose posted.... lots of Dual sport riding options!

and we stopped for Breakfast on the way near Ceres

Then into the mountain area

over Bain's Kloff pass. Photos are not really capturing the stunning Beauty!

As we ride north, blue sky above, and it warms up!

Nice Mountain roads

Then we stop at a cool little out post, for a drink.

Lots of cool things on the walls....

Then more gravel roads to get up to Oasis

We arrive in the early afternoon. Time to set up tents and relax!

Reading the wall map, and talking about our route for Saturday am! Got a couple route updates for the "postal Route"

Nice place to relax!!

Braai pit (BBQ for you Americans :)

We rode in over this pass....

Saturday am we had Breakfast at 6Am thanks Chantal

rode our way through the mountains. The Doring river was too high to ride across at one spot, so we opted for the Postal route.

Couple smaller water crossings to begin.

Great Rock formations and tons of different Geological types along the way..... But have to pay attention to the conditions as they change around!

From rocky to softer deeper sand. Thankfully, Namibia and a few other areas improved my confidence in sand (still have not gotten to "love it" yet). Had a few sideways moments......

Up along the canyon, then back down, then along the next one.

Came down this one into a small town. Do not have my map handy, but the roads were great!!

Wound our way up the hill on the Postal route!

Lots of gates to go through....

Nice flowers and Buttes in the distance

The trail turned to 4X4 Only ..... But the views were great! David's Gps had the track, mine showed nothing.

We rode along the ridge line...... Wondering when we would go down into the valley and find the 2 river crossings ....

My GPS cracked me up. Love the text.....

The steep gravel sections were fun! Reminds me of riding at home !

Finally came down to the 2nd river crossing.... Just across here and then about 2 times more river to cross It was great! deep in spots and you needed to stay on a certain path....

The is the view from the other side looking back to the corner where the first photo shows ! We all made the crossing fine. Was worth a "high Five" for riding the water crossing!

The the long loop back...... This was a 420 KM dirt riding day!

In sections it was not real clear we were on the right track.... but we had to keep going as fuel was an issue and we did not have enough to backtrack....

Then after a particularly technical rocky steep section we come to a locked gate No turning back..... We needed to get through and we did

Then rode north and back around to ClanWilliam so we could fuel up and ride the 100Km back to Oasis in time for dinner!

Then back through Cederberg. really amazing mountain all around..... But it was a riding day, so not much time to stop for Photos!

Nice ride up this valley!

great ride Saturday!!

Got back and there were about 80 Wild Dog riders all set up. Lots of bike and was fun connecting with a few Wild Dog rider!

Our camp site way at the back

Goose already shared a few photos! Andy606 was amazing as he presented me with Official Wild Dog Stickers with my name on them. Loving South Africa and the wonderful people here!

Me with my new stickers, Lee, Peter and Andy! Cheers Guys so great to meet you!

Guess the long dirt ride made me very hungry!

Sunday Morning David and Paul headed back to Cape Town, but gave me directions to some beautiful roads heading me to the Garden Route. Thanks David and Paul for showing we around!!

More of Garden route later..... Still riding and enjoy each moment. Trying to stay in the moment and not leap forward to returning back to the USA....

Radioman screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 09:09 PM
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #5922
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecahome View Post
I, like many others, have been following along but haven't posted much. But I too want to express my thanks for sharing so candidly with us and for allowing us to enjoy so many experiences, countries, events, etc that we will not likely be able to do personally. When I have mentioned your journey to others, I tend to want to refer to you as " my friend Mark." Sure hope that isn't too presumptuous but am sure many others feel the same even though we haven't met you in person.

So, as this chapter ends, know that you are always welcome here anytime you get to the East (Virginia). I'm near the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive so let me know if you are ever in the "neighborhood." Would love to have you visit.

Thanks again !! -Glen
Glen. Indeed we are friends that have just not met yet Thanks for posting. It really is amazing to know that so many people have been following along and participating in the ride. It certainly has been full of real emotions, adventure, challenges and plain fun to be on this ride of a lifetime!

It always occurs to me.... every picture speaks a thousand words..... and I am talkative enough

until we meet!

Mark

Old 11-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #5923
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Trying to stay in the moment and not leap forward to returning back to the USA....

Mark, when you get to LA, don't forget to turn your arrow around.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #5924
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post

............. yup

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #5925
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Maybe. ;)