User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #811
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,981
September 25, 2011 Rest day in Tucson

Was a day off from riding, time to evaluate the gear and then doing some Bike maintenance.

Miles 24 for the day

Weather Hot and Sunny 90's

Hung out with my Brother Bruce, had lunch together and then Czfcathy invited us over to work on our bikes and for dinner!

Her Husband Skip has a collection of old Penton Motorcycles that he has restored
Sam was really excited as he raced once against John Penton (who was Skips neighbor growing up!)

Look it was the precursor to KTM

Then we jumped right into Bike maintenance. Sam needed to change his front tire, and Skip was showing us a different way to spoon on the tire. always time to learn.

Then onto Oil changes for both of us. Skip and Cathy jump into action to help Sam after he dropped a bolt and then a tool into his KTM (of course they helped me replace a couple flanged nuts that had worked themselves loose on my GS)

Sam finishing off his oil change.

The hospitality of our hosts was amazing! The helped get our bike work done, then prepared a great meal as we talked about motorcycles, travel, and life. What a great afternoon and evening!

They sent Sam off with a "hello Kitty" with instructions to take her to Bolivian Salt Flats

Cathy's Hello Kitty saying goodbye to Sam's Hello Kitty

Thanks Skip and Cathy for the wonderful time! More great times with generous ADV community!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #812
Radioman OP
Moto rider

September 26th Tucson. repacking and New Windscreen.

Another day relaxing and getting rested for the ride.

We took a little ride to get coffee and take a few photos amongst the Suguaro's

The Catus are very sharp. Ouch!

Had ordered a new Windscreen and it arrived via FedEx. It is a Britannia Composites ltd Mirage 2. It was really hot in my brothers Garage for guys from the PNW. So what would you do.... Bring the bike inside

through the front door and into the living room.

Much better working temps!! Hope my brother does not see this post Getting the instrument cluster attached to the new windscreen.

Getting it all bolted in place. This should give me better wind management and adjustability.

Getting it all tighten down.

Then Sam and Radioman had a little fun!!

Then getting all the gear settled and taking some time to rest and finalize some details.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #813
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,874
It looks like you guys are getting off to a good start! I can tell you're going to have an enjoyable trip, for sure. I'm glad Sam is riding along for this leg of your journey. It will make for some entertaining stories, I'm sure!

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #814
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,388
Hats !!!

And for new windscreen...mebbe don't clean this one with HD sandpaper?

good luck man...loving the mods, trip and especially "mileage for the day, 24"
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #815
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,359
Where's the third amigo
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #816
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Where's the third amigo
Two was all we can handle

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #817
Radioman OP
Moto rider

As we continue our rest and preparations. Decided we need to watch Cycle South.

Bike of the 70's ...... had fun watching this movie on the eve of us heading further south.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #818
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,519

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #819
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Was a day off from riding, time to evaluate the gear and then doing some Bike maintenance.

Miles 24 for the day

Weather Hot and Sunny 90's

Hung out with my Brother Bruce, had lunch together and then Czfcathy invited us over to work on our bikes and for dinner!

Her Husband Skip has a collection of old Penton Motorcycles that he has restored
Sam was really excited as he raced once against John Penton (who was Skips neighbor growing up!)

Look it was the precursor to KTM

Then we jumped right into Bike maintenance. Sam needed to change his front tire, and Skip was showing us a different way to spoon on the tire. always time to learn.

Then onto Oil changes for both of us. Skip and Cathy jump into action to help Sam after he dropped a bolt and then a tool into his KTM (of course they helped me replace a couple flanged nuts that had worked themselves loose on my GS)

Sam finishing off his oil change.

The hospitality of our hosts was amazing! The helped get our bike work done, then prepared a great meal as we talked about motorcycles, travel, and life. What a great afternoon and evening!

They sent Sam off with a "hello Kitty" with instructions to take her to Bolivian Salt Flats

Cathy's Hello Kitty saying goodbye to Sam's Hello Kitty

Thanks Skip and Cathy for the wonderful time! More great times with generous ADV community!
That was a lot of fun. You guys are always welcome. Cathy and I had a couple good chuckles the next day. Take care and have fun, Skip
rpage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #820
Pansy
Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post

Anyone want to make book on how long will it take before that shiny new windshield looks like this one ?

Glad to see you are off on another exciting Adventure, Mark
Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #821
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
So what's the odds, 3 to 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
Anyone want to make book on how long will it take before that shiny new windshield looks like this one ?

Glad to see you are off on another exciting Adventure, Mark

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #822
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Hey Radioman H0w's this for a Theme

"Dos Amigos paseo del Sur, No se preocupe No hay prisa"

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 04:33 PM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #823
Radioman OP
Moto rider

September 27th Tucson Bike in for Service.

We woke up early and were ready to get on the road again. Gave my brother a big hug as he put us up and took care of us!!

Had a service at Iron Horse BMW in Tucson for the 6K service just because I would be outside the US , so i wanted them to check it over.

They were done with the service and about to take a final test ride. As they started the bike it made a horrible "clacking" noise. What ? it was not making that noise on the ride in, and they had not done any mechanical work to the bike.

"WHAT IS GOING ON?" The jumped right on getting it back in the shop, and taking a look.

Jim my service guy, calls me over to take a look after the had it stripped down aways. There was metal on the intake valve..... Not good at all. Engine Failure at 5,300 miles.

Cannot see it in the photo but will get some shots once it is all apart.

Poor Sam was all packed up and waiting at my brothers house. Called him and told him I had issues. He of course agreed

Waiting, waiting, Waiting for news about the problem, the fix and the timing....... So I decided to give yzfcathy to see if she would give me a ride up to my brothers house, since we would not be going any anywhere soon. Guess I will get to check and see if Sam can live the " No Hurry No Worry"

yzfcathy came up to get me and on they way out of the driveway said "we can just stop by the house and you can take one of our bikes"..... The Kindness and generosity of "strangers" is amazing. I did not really know what to say. Wow. Thanks.

She lets me take her R6 (that she has put 82K miles on ) with GP1 Shifting ... Ok up for something new.

Big Guy on Small Bike (adorned with Hello Kitty Stickers). Maybe it will be my new adventure bike. if Sam thought I was fast before.....

Still in shock as the bike was running well, no issues. But all of a sudden, FAILURE. As it has sunk in, it really is good it happened today, and not 3 days from now while we were in the middle of Copper Canyon in Mexico. Guess it would have been Immersion Spanish for me

Got back home and Sam was all packed up and ready to go. Cannot tell if there is a problem. he was truly all packed up.

Sam is not happy. He was all ready to ride but fortunately he was packing light!

So now it is a waiting game as they take the motor apart and find out what has happened. Hopefully all the parts are in the US and we can get the rebuild done soon. More later if I know anything.

Radioman screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 07:35 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #824
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,281
makes you wonder how a complete engine failure can occur on such a new bike? I mean that is really unacceptable for any bike no less a Beemer....I sure hope they get you back on the road soon!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #825
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 273

Very suspicious. Did one one Of the elementary schoolers sabotage the bike by dropping a marble in pipe?

I hope you are back up and running soon. You are right about how fortunate you are that it happened when it did - if it had to happen at all.
Serbchaser is offline   Reply With Quote