User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #841
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 487
new rides

Hey guys, Cathy's GS is back from the shop and I have a few light days at work. I have a couple of DS loops around Tucson that you'll enjoy and then one SW AZ ride that you'll really have fun with.

I know a great place for some real sombreros we can have some real fun.

Give me a call in the morning and we'll switch out that R6 for a more suitable ride and go have some fun.

Also if you're still around this weekend we can load up a Penton or two and try something a bit different.

The only thing I have going is a couple of friends are coming into town on Friday night for diner and then they're heading North to the Grand Canyon.

Call tomorrow and will just start some new adventures. Skip
rpage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #842
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerph View Post

darnit!! Like you said, mark, better here than somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
+1
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #843
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,455
Great stuff Mark!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #844
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage11 View Post
Hey guys, Cathy's GS is back from the shop and I have a few light days at work. I have a couple of DS loops around Tucson that you'll enjoy and then one SW AZ ride that you'll really have fun with.

I know a great place for some real sombreros we can have some real fun.

Give me a call in the morning and we'll switch out that R6 for a more suitable ride and go have some fun.

Also if you're still around this weekend we can load up a Penton or two and try something a bit different.

The only thing I have going is a couple of friends are coming into town on Friday night for diner and then they're heading North to the Grand Canyon.

Call tomorrow and will just start some new adventures. Skip
Hellishly cool
Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #845
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 481
Doesn't look like you two will be bored with the ADV friends and relatives. I love those Pentons that keep showing up in this thread. Your mojo is strong

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #846
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,212
Mark, lousy that this happened. Couldn't ask for a better place for it to happen/Iron Horse is top notch! All the best going forward.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #847
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,802
That's too bad about your bike Mark, but it's nice to know you are being well taken care of there and you're doing a good job of keeping Sam laughing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #848
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
That's too bad about your bike Mark, but it's nice to know you are being well taken care of there and you're doing a good job of keeping Sam laughing.
This is my job you know. .

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #849
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 548
Officially an Adventure
Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #850
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 289
I'm betting someone dropped a nut or screw down the throttle bodies when they were checking your air cleaner and didn't catch it. Or didn't adjust the cam chain tightener correctly. Just saying, Been there done that, ,rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #851
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,033
Damned those unreliable KTMs, wait a tick, is there a B in KTM?

Hope your up and running soon Mark as the Mrs and I enjoy following your travels...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #852
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
You Guys

I love your attitudes, sorta cliche, but when life hands you lemons make lemonade, great way to enjoy life!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #853
Radioman OP
Moto rider

September 28th, 2011 Tucson. "Lemons to Lemonade and riding Mt Lemon

It's Wednesday. It's a bit of a waiting game as my bike is in at Iron Horse being torn apart. Trying to determine what is wrong, and how long it will take to fix. Jim my service advisor has been great, even though he does not have all the information yet, and they need to follow the warranty procedure, to get approval from BMW to do the work and order the parts.

So we started our morning with a cup of coffee, then since we had time ..... We decided to do some tourist stuff.

Started at Pima Air Museum.

Google view of the Pima Air Museum

Sam playing tourist of the bus ride through the planes.

Then Skip gave us a call to let us know that he could take us on a ride around the area.

Katie, Indeed Lemons from Lemonade!! so we road to the top of Mt Lemon

Sam getting the ride angle for the photo!

Cool rock formations as we pass 5,000 feet and cooler temps. mid 90's in Tucson. As we get to the top of Mt Lemon at 9,500+ feet it is a wonderful 66 degrees!!

Then we ride off the back side of Mt Lemon on a gravel road. Sam had a big Grin

so did Skip

trying to get a bit of an artistic shot but I missed Sam riding.

Thanks to Cathy and Skip I have Cathy's 800GS to ride while I wait on my bike.

We rode back to the dealer, as they said they would be pulling the engine apart in the afternoon to determine the extent of the damage and what would need to be repaired. As they pulled it apart they found not foreign objects, but it is clear that a failure has happened. What are the odds that this would happen at the dealer vs out on the road? Still hard to grasp, but am very thankful that it happened at a good dealer and not a couple days later in the middle of Copper Canyon. Sam said; " that would really be immersion Spanish for you"

A few photos. Metal in the left cylinder, in what appears to be parts of the valve guides or the valve?

It was hard to photograph, but if you look at the valve guides on the right cylinder.

and then see how much short the guides are on the left. That is what appears to have failed. They are awaiting warranty Approval from BMW corporate and will hopefully get it completely taken apart on Thursday and get all the necessary parts ordered including new Cylinder, New piston, New rings both sides, valves and guides on the left side adn whatever else they need to make the complete repair.

So now it is a waiting game. But fortunate that I have a brother who is generous and has open up his house to us for as long as we need, Cathy and Skip have been wonderful part of the ADV family and have generously given of there time, Motorcycles and knowledge! What I can say is that I have so much to be thankful for, that this is just a minor issue. I feel bad for Sam who is ready to ride south

Last comment for the day is about the generosity of others. Cathy and Skip opened there house and garage to us, and after my engine issue quickly loaned me the R6, then the 800gs (after it got back from the shop for its maintenance). It is hard to accept such kindness and generosity but Cathy said it best when she said "It is like paying back all the people that have helped me, so pay it forward" and I have but to now be on the receiving side of the equation is different. It makes me smile and will certainly motivate me to share even more with others in the future!! Thanks for the life lessons Skip and Cathy!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 06:59 PM
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #854
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
What are the odds that this would happen at the dealer vs out on the road?

Pretty good odds, doesn't a 6k service include a valve adjustment? Did they fire somebody yet?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #855
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Pretty good odds, doesn't a 6k service include a valve adjustment? Did they fire somebody yet?
Rob, No valve adjustment until 12K (and most are still within spec). This issue was not caused by human error. Really appears to be material failure. More Later.