Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #121
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
^ this

When I was learning to drive my parents taught me and I rode the lawn mower, but we also had to pass so many hours of driving instruction at my school.
Our phys Ed teacher was cooler than the other side of the pillow in numerous rookie driving situations that he had to correct. Also teaching practical (cover the brake at certain times...) as well as theoretical ( who has right of way at a blinking yellow 4 way?) knowledge.
My understanding is that this has changed. Now parents pay a private driver Ed teacher to meet the requirement.
The school teacher could hold a certain standard and fail you and generally had more influence. A private instructor can get fired by the student/parents and therefor, I am sure word gets around of an "easy" pass from XYZ driving school in the school hallways. The private instructor has more incentive to just pass kids and get the next batch in the car.
I'm not so sure you can blame the driving instructors for this. These kids spend years watching their parents drive and just hours with an instructor. I think the bad habits come from years of watching others.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #122
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Parents can also teach their kids themselves here in TX. You request a PTDE, (Parent Taught Drivers Ed). packet online, the state mails it to you. No formal private/school based driving school necessary.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #123
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I'm not so sure you can blame the driving instructors for this. These kids spend years watching their parents drive and just hours with an instructor. I think the bad habits come from years of watching others.
So...you think it is parents? I think it is all of the above combined with shit for brains and lax licensing requirements adding up to aggressively shitty driving.

So, I think you are correct, but there is more to it.

I do have one co-worker who has a kid that takes his driving seriously. It is worth pointing out just to say that not all hope is lost.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #124
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
It could get worse.

Quote:
So...you think it is parents? I think it is all of the above combined with shit for brains and lax licensing requirements adding up to aggressively shitty driving.

I do have one co-worker who has a kid that takes his driving seriously. It is worth pointing out just to say that not all hope is lost.
I hear you can get a license in NH now without even driving a car. From an area rally driver:

So scary. Teens can do drivers-ed online in NH now... Found this on their site: "The Teen Driving Course New Hampshire online drivers education class finishes with a final exam, which you will need to pass with a score of at least 27/35 to receive your certificate of completion. You can retake the exam as many times as you need to at no extra cost, until you pass."
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #125
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:

I think the parents have a far deeper influence than an instructor. I don't necessarily mean the way the parents handle the mandated driver training, I mean more in the way the parents have demonstrated driving with the kids in the car over a couple of year period.
But like anything with kids, it's not always the case.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #126
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
I was a fairly good kid with good training and no parental craziness. Cellphones were rare when i learned to drive back in the late 80's.

I drove really well until i got with my friends. Then we thought we were rally car, nascar and NHRA drivers.

Parents and driver's ed aren't to blame for all this. Kids are kids and they do dumb things. We as drivers and riders need to recognize the threat and do what we can to protect ourselves.

Kids with no respect for anyone else? Thats a parental problem amd a whole different problem that affects so much more than driving.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #127
Der Kaiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Eller Case

I think there's little doubt that most of us have done some pretty dumb things when we were young but this goes way past the typical stupid teen crap most of us have pulled in our youth. I think a better sentence would have been to revoke his license for three years and for him to get a good old fashioned ass-beating. Then while recovering in the hospital, he'd have the time to reflect on the actions that earned him that. I know my old man used "the leather belt" to good effect on my rear and I can't think of a time where I made the same mistake twice.
Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #128
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan tilden View Post
I hear you can get a license in NH now without even driving a car. From an area rally driver:

So scary. Teens can do drivers-ed online in NH now... Found this on their site: "The Teen Driving Course New Hampshire online drivers education class finishes with a final exam, which you will need to pass with a score of at least 27/35 to receive your certificate of completion. You can retake the exam as many times as you need to at no extra cost, until you pass."
Not true..

From the NH DMV website

Quote:
Driver Education is helpful at any age, but it is required for individuals under the age of 18 who wish to apply for a New Hampshire driver license. To meet this requirement, anyone under 18 must take an approved driver education program which will include:
  • Thirty (30) hours of classroom instruction with a certified driver education instructor
  • Ten (10) hours of practice driving with a certified driver education instructor
  • Six (6) hours of driving observation with a certified driver education instructor
In addition to the above, each student must log forty (40) additional hours of supervised driving time with a parent, guardian or other responsible adult. Ten (10) hours of the additional driving practice must be completed at night. The additional driving time must be tracked and documented on a Drivers's Out-Of-Class Log Sheet .
Driver Education is offered at all public high schools in New Hampshire and at over 60 Commercial Driver Education Schools, which are licensed by the NH DMV.
Upon completion of the Driver Education Program and the forty (40) hours of additional driving time, the individual may apply for a New Hampshire driver license. Drivers between the ages of 16 and 21 will be issued a Youth Operator License which will expire on their 21st birthday.
and after all that they still need to pass a written and driving test.

The little douche bag is lucky he wasn't charged with attempted murder.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #129
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Whew!

OK well that is a relief, let's see if Cod Eller gets a new trial or not. From what I read NH doesn't have attempted homicides. Weird huh? It's just First Degree Assault.
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote