User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,518
No clutch

My clutch cable broke in northern Oklahoma in the middle of doing the TAT. I ride a Yamaha WR250R. I was able to nurse it no problem for about 100 miles to our next stop. Question: can I continue to carefully ride it until I get to a bigger town and a repair shop? Most of the riding is flat and straight. Thank you.

Here we are somewhere in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma calling dealers for a clutch cable to be delivered to Trinidad, Colorado.
Attached Images

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
Question: can I continue to carefully ride it until I get to a bigger town and a repair shop? Most of the riding is flat and straight. Thank you.

Yes. If you've done it for the last 100 miles, I think you have it figured out -- just unload the transmission and apply gentle pressure on the shift lever until it pops in every time you want to shift, whether up or down.

Stopping is the difficult part. I don't really have experience with this...I suppose you basically have to stall the bike and then use the starter to get going again?

And next time take a spare clutch cable with you

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Hint; old farts carry a spare cable taped along the old cable. Takes car of storage and if the old one breaks, it's easy to move the ends over for a change-out.

If the cable broke at the lever barrel, you may find someone willing to attempt to solder a new barrel on. Otherwise, you'll need to find a dealership.

I sure would want to replace the cable. Babying the bike for so many miles must be nerve-wracking. Shifting can be done with careful rev matching and such, but if you get on it very much you're in danger of bending shifter forks and whatnot.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Whoopdefraggindo
Bed Shitter

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie View Post
Hint; old farts carry a spare cable taped along the old cable. Takes car of storage and if the old one breaks, it's easy to move the ends over for a change-out.
Thanks for the great tip.
Whoopdefraggindo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
I rarely use the clutch once I'm moving on any of my bikes. Old habit from MX bikes with fragile clutches. It only hurts when you miss.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,518
Keep the tips coming. Thank you.

And yes, in preparing fir the trip I had read about having a spare clutch cable zipped tied to the one in use but thought I was too smart for that...live and learn.

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
I brought my Kawi out of storage after one winter, and no sooner did I get it up the muddy/icy/snowy hill to the road than the clutch cable broke. After, BTW, my friend had left, as the engine was running fine.

So there I was riding my bike on mostly clear, but occasionally snowy roads without a working clutch.

Yes, you can do it, especially as you have been doing it the last 100 miles. Another suggestion, if it broke up at the lever end, would be to clamp something onto the cable, and directly pull the clutch cable. Not very elegant, but it could work.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
How could you possibly break a clutch cable on one of them new style, "more reliable" bikes? The original clutch cable on my 1974 CT-1 still works fine.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
C'Mon lemieuxmc that's getting tired. You made your point a long time ago.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Clutch cables will usually break for a reason - most often because they are being bent too sharply at the activation point. If the barrel is not properly lubed at the lever or if the hole has become oval so the barrel binds, the cable will be bent sharply right there and that is where it will break - similarly if it is binding at the actuation end. Fail to correct whatever caused the old cable to break and any new cable probably won't last long either.

Make sure you buy two cables and look for (and fix) the cause of the breakage. If you're lucky, it's lust a little stone on the lever or something like that.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #11
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Clutch cables will usually break for a reason - most often because they are being bent too sharply at the activation point. If the barrel is not properly lubed at the lever or if the hole has become oval so the barrel binds, the cable will be bent sharply right there and that is where it will break - similarly if it is binding at the actuation end. Fail to correct whatever caused the old cable to break and any new cable probably won't last long either.

Make sure you buy two cables and look for (and fix) the cause of the breakage. If you're lucky, it's lust a little stone on the lever or something like that.

Bingo!
On one of my bikes, I had to sand off a sharp "corner" in each lever. That corner was basically trying to cut my cables. Just a little rounding off seems to have helped a lot.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,437
Wow,this is amazing - he breaks down,and posts a question for help on the internet before he gets to the next town....complete with photo.

I'm old by the way.....
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #13
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
sounds like you doing fine,its easy on a little bike.Hardest parts is starting off.Bike running n neutral,push t along untl its rolling along at at least a fast walk,jump on and engage frst,then you fine....as you roll to a stop find neutral,but you prolly knew that after 100 miles
Old 05-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
Question: can I continue to carefully ride it until I get to a bigger town and a repair shop?
I don't know, can you?

Riding without a clutch cable will not make your motorcycle spontaneously turn radioactive and/or catch on fire, if that is what you are asking.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
I don't know, can you?

Riding without a clutch cable will not make your motorcycle spontaneously turn radioactive and/or catch on fire, if that is what you are asking.
Well, he's done 100 miles so far...

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote